Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JediSkipdogg

M&G 2008 - Cruise Interest?

Cruise Interest?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Cruise Interest?

• Cruise only, 5 days
    • 4 day Cruise + 3 day Land
    • 6 days Land
    • Other, please specify

JediSkipdogg

Now, since I want to gather information as fast as possible I decided to throw this question in as well. This does not mean that a cruise is the only thing being considered, but it leaves a good option open.

One thing alot need to keep in mind is the price of a cruise. I think it all depends on the family size how much it will truely cost and if it will be beneficial. A cruise offers tons of benefits that staying on land does not offer. If any cruisers see I missed something, let us know (as I've never done a cruise but have talked heavily to people about them.)

For the last week of June a cruise will run around $450-500 each for the first two people and then each person after then people 3, 4, and 5 are $100 less. When I did a total price of a family of 5, the cruise came out to very close to $2200 total. That price includes tons of items....

On a cruise everything but alcohol is paid for. You get unlimited food 24/7. They have buffets and formal dining options along with numerous smaller cafes around the boat. You want a pineapple and sausage pizza at 3 am? You got it fresh. When you think about it, on vacation it costs what, $20 per person per day for food unless you bring your own? Good savings there.

There are numerous activities throughout the boat and they vary greatly depending on the boat. So far I have noticed boats have activities such as climbing walls, putt putt, theatrical shows, numerous pools, workout rooms, dancing (different rooms for different ages), etc. Those are events on just the boat.

Then on say a 4 or 5 day cruise there usually 2 shore excursions. When the boat docks if you want, you can stay on or go on shore. There are tons of events that depending on the location can take place on the shore from snorkeling, to jetskis, etc. all for a small fee per person. Many locations also have shopping or other attractions to see. A cruise truely does keep you fully entertained for the length of it.

One disadvantage of a cruise is with the new government regulations you have to have a passport for each person. I believe a US passport is $90 for those over 16 and $80 for those under. So that must be taken into consideration.

Overall price of a family of 5 on a cruise would be around $2700. Total price of 6 days at a hotel and tickets into something like Disney World (assuming one room) would be...

Hotel - $500 ($100 per night)

Tickets - $1000 (4 days each person at $200 each)

Food - $600 ($20 per person each day for 6 days)

Total - $2100

So essentially for a tad more you can get a cruise with alot more attractions on board to do. Of course, alot of factors still need to be considered either way such as shore excursions vs. other land attractions and what kind of hotel/room you would get on land vs. cruise.

So, please let me know who is interested and would like to try this?

princesslinda

Had a great time on our last cruise. Our best vacation ever.

One caveat about pricing, most quotes that you'll find online do not include port fees and taxes..this added approx. $150 per person to the price of the cruise. Also, trip/cancellation insurance added another $50 per person to our bill (this was optional, but we took it as our health insurance did not cover out of the states healthcare) and we worried that hurricane season might interrupt our cruise. Even so, my husband and I went on a 7 day Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas (at the time the largest ship besides the QE-II) in November to Eastern Caribbean with 3 ports of call for less than $1500.

To answer your question, a shorter trip would be less expensive, allowing more people to be able to participate. We drove to Port Canaveral, FL and stayed at a hotel that had a cruise pkg special where we could leave our car rather than pay for pier parking ($7/day) and they shuttled us to the pier and picked us up when the cruise was over.

BriOnH

I'll go on whatever is decided and whatever my current $$ situation is.

Right now I might have to call off volunteering at bear skin meadow this summer, and I REALLY hope it doesn't come to that.

EasyType2

Question, for anyone who knows....

Does a "cruise only" require a passport? Or ... is a passport only needed if the ship makes landfall on non-US territory?

I ask due to the slowness now in obtaining a passport.

valc3

Does a "cruise only" require a passport? Or ... is a passport only needed if the ship makes landfall on non-US territory?

Yes, you are required to have a passport.

JediSkipdogg

Current wait time I believe is still 12 weeks or so. Since this event isn't till next summer and I hope to have the exact date out by September/October there's plenty of time for everyone to obtain one.

And just so everyone knows, a passport is good for 10 years and is an excellent form of ID sometimes more powerful than a driver's license.

glashalful

Like Brian said, I'll have to look at finances and time availability, but it sounds like fun to me!

Elizabeth

JediSkipdogg

One thing I failed to mention.....

I think if we did the 2nd option with the cruise and land stay, that those that want a cruise can do the cruise. Those that want land can do land and do it longer. And then those that want to do both can. Some people might not be able to meet others, but it would at least provide an opportunity for people to pick from two options depending on what's cost effective for them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.