Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mg_2204

ACE inhibitor... and dry cough

mg_2204

Well I've had a big bad cold... and colds don't last. Maybe I had 2 colds in a row? Can happen! Allergies??! A client of mine has a very friendly cat, it's always all over me and so is its hair when I leave. When I catch a cold --or even worse!! the flu, I cough as if there was no tomorrow. Would I be a smoker I'd be dead by now I'm sure. With that said...

I think Coversyl (ACE inhibitor I was prescribed - 4 mg) is making me cough like this. It's a dry cough. Read it can be a possible side effect. I took Coversyl around 8 pm (made my blood pressure go down a lot so took it at night) and what do you know? It's at night I cough the most.

So I've stopped Coversyl 7 days ago. For 2 days I haven't been coughing at all during the day. Last night didn't cough at all. Bliss! Would it take THAT LONG for my body to get rid of Coversyl...??! Any thought on this?

What I'm wondering now is... if Coversyl gave me a dry cough, will other kinds of ACE inhibitors do the same?

Signed : Cough-Free-Marie-At-Last

:)

Cyborg

It's called an Ace cough and some people, including myself, get it from Ace Inhibitors. When I got the cough real bad, my doctor switched me to a angiotensin II receptor antagonist and the cough went away. I now take Cozaar ,which performs the same function as an Ace Inhibitor, without the cough...

mg_2204

I didn't know they made people cough...!!! Had I known before...!

Thank you for the info. I have scribbled down those names. Will do a search and will be able to have a discussion with my doc...

Thank you very much!!

CindyO

I also had the ACE cough. My doctor said it would go away around 4 days after my last dose of Lisinopril. It was more like 10 days, but the cough did go away. I'm now on Benicar, which is a ARB as described by Cyborg. No cough with Benicar. The only downside is that there's not a generic equivalent for any of the ARBs as far as I can tell. It costs me a whole lot more than the ACE.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.