Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ProfessorOak

uh oh Sugar High

ProfessorOak

I'm a male, 20 years of age and somewhat active. I do isolated weight training (only targets upper body) and play tennis (I stopped for 2 weeks) and I do not have diabetes. I'm 162lbs at 5'6 (I used to be 135lbs a few months ago as I used to be in half-marathon training..aiming for 12 mile runs).

Today, I went to buy some groceries and bought some cheese-its (kinda like potatoe chips) and oatmeal chocolate cookies. Since I have not eaten junk food for awhile, I ate the whole bag of cheese-its and 6 cookies and a cup of tea with 2 tblspns of honey and a slice of pizza (all at once).

After that...I felt "wasted"...like I wanted to go to sleep and so I did. When I woke up after 2 hours, I still felt sleepy and I couldn't concentrate and knew something was up (I felt different and dizzy-sort of). So I checked my blood sugar and it's 130!

Usually, when I test it, it's at 80-105..but NEVER above that!

Should I watch out for pre-diabetes or is it too late? My mother has Type 2 Diabetes (or maybe it was Type 1...not sure) and her family line all have diabetes. My fathers family line is pretty clean (a few have diabetes).

Oh, and I drink alot of tea with a tablespoon of honey in it (about 12-cups a day)...is this ok?

xMenace

BG meters are not all that accurate, and 130 is not all that high. Did you wash your hands after eating all that junk?

Many of us are convinced napping can cause liver dumps, why I dunno. For a diabetic that pizza would be suspicious oo.

iDream

I wouldn't worry. The foods you ate are pretty bad. I hadn't had cheese-its since I was diagnosed until about a month ago (they used to be my favorite) and covered as I normally would....let me tell you, thats the last time I will ever eat cheese-its.

JessicaD

That makes me sad..I love my cheese-its and eat them way too often. They're my favorite, but luckily I haven't had a problem with it unless I don't count out exacly how many I've eaten as I tend to underestimate otherwise.

But anyway... I wouldn't worry too much about a test of 130 after that much. Even in people without diabetes, bgl go up some after they eat. 130 would be within MY target, but I know that means nothing as am diabetic...

barko

I would agree...probably not a big deal. It can become a big deal if you keep on that diet plan though ;-)

anmi

Hi,

I also think you should not worry but repeat them to be sure.

I just want to tell you that before discovering my diabetes, just one month before, my blood sugar was 139... also I was told that there is no problem, may happen sometimes to be high sometimes and so on. After one month I felt very very bad, lost weight a lot, off course I went to the doctor, repeat only the BS and was more than 300, around 350... after that I was taken directly to hospital.

So take care and repeat them from time to time... just to be sure.

Dan Gato

Professor.

A different view point.

I would suggest that you start using your meter & test, like 6 times a day for a week & see how your BG's fluctuate. one reading is not enough, you need to have like a profile.

your next step would be talk to your doc about it.

Maybe have an A1C, if you can afford it. ( approx cost $40)

Also watch for the tryglycerides if they are very high, that's another sign of diabetes.

The reason I said this is because your family history of diabetes. Good that you are pro-active.

Keep your bg's within normal levels to avoid complications.

Keep reading the DF.

volleyball

You ate a lot of bad carbs at the same time. You BG would have gone up as your body reacted.

Binges happen. We all do it. the trick is to make them smaller and not as often. But at your age, I don't see the risk.

JediSurfer

That is quite normal from my studies and frequent testing of non diabetics which include my work colleague and my brother, mother, Friends and anyone else who will let me test them comparatively.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.