Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scratch

13.1 Miles, documenting my way to the Half-marathon in Philadelphia

Scratch

The big week got started with a tempo run this evening after work. My legs were feeling decent today, although I was a bit worried there might be some residual fatigue from Sunday's 5K plus 2 mile warmup run plus the 5.5 miles I hiked in the afternoon.

Did my first portion of the tempo run at a good clip, but my legs were a bit tired and I ended up slowing down as the run went along.

Ended up with a 7.5 mile run, 4.1 at tempo pace, the rest at easy or recovery pace. I was a bit disappointed at the slowdown, but I got that good feeling I often get when a run lasts over an hour and I broke out in a big smile on the last loop around the park.

Scratch

Today's Halloween, last day of October. I'm not running so I won't have any more run miles to log and perhaps it's a bit interesting to review the progress since April 21st.

First we'll just put a nice big old graphic image of it:

graph_me_102007.png

Those first 10 miles of April were a mixture of running with walking. Mostly walking. After I started walking again following the broken tibia, I worked on building up my walking and when in mid-April I had taken a 2.5 hour walk that went a little over 8 miles, I felt confident enough that the ankle was ready to take on the extra stress of a bit of running.

So early on I just basically worked on converting the walking over into running, starting off with on running on level surfaces, then some uphills too, leaving downhills for the last. Downhill running is the hardest running on the legs.

In late May, I was running the whole time, although the distances for the most part were 3 miles or less. I was very conservative about increasing the load any and wouldn't go up over 10 miles in a single week til the second half of June. It was at the end of June that I had my first run which went over an hour of time.

Most of July still saw me running mostly 3 miles or less at a time, but some longer runs were working their way in and I began doing some more vigorous tempo runs. On July 21st, I ran a 5K in under 30 minutes, which surprised me and made me rather happy.

August I worked on building up some more miles and distances and got my longest run out to a distance of 7.5 miles. August ad some tough running due to the heat and humidity. Still I managed one week where I went 17.5 miles and I looked forward to the expected cooler weather of September.

September proved to be a lot tougher in some ways than I had expected. I ended up giving myself an extra easy recovery week after a 10K race on the 8th of September indicated that I was fatigued too much. In spite of that extra easy week, I still managed to run almost 80 miles with 23.7 miles in the last week and a long run of over 10 miles. I even had 5 runs that lasted more than an hour.

So now we get to October. I had 2 weeks in October that went up over 20 miles, the highest being 26.8 miles where I had a long run of 11.5 miles. 8 of the runs lasted over an hour in length, at this point now unless my legs are really tired I think running an hour as being almost easy and routine.

Now see, it's just been a gradual build of the miles, slowly tacking on a bit more here and a bit more there. I've even given myself a bit more rest as needed than from what I had planned. It just takes time, if you commit to setting aside some time and doing it, you then can reach a point like where I am now.

Sometimes, sometimes when I think on it, it just kind of blows my mind that I can think, "Oh yeah, want to run 7.5 miles this evening after work" and I go out and do it.

It doesn't always happen. Believe me, if you take up an activity, you'll have some bad efforts, ones where you were more fatigued than you realized. But over time, the improvements will accumulate. You just got to be patient.

And I don't know how to describe to you the feeling I had on my last loop of the park yesterday, when a big huge grin showed up on my face at the wonderment of it all.

Scratch

6.25 mile run after work. I'm all set for my last big run attempt before the half. Saturday I hope to run half-marathon distance for my long run.

Scratch

I think I'm ready.

I ran 13.1 miles this morning in 2:28:42 which reassures me that I can go the distance and my blood sugar will be fine after that long. Finished up at 93 mg/dl and was 196 mg/dl before starting for which I injected 1u of Novolog.

Now I just need to run some over the next 2 weeks and be ready to go on the 18th.

Scratch

My last run of the week this morning and it finished off my peak mileage week of training before the 18th.

My legs felt quite good in view of how they went 13.1 miles for the first time yesterday and I ran this morning's 3.3 miles in 34:53 with a nice negative split on the out and back. It gave me 30.2 miles for the week.

Scratch

5 mile run mostly at easy pace with some pickup in the last mile. It felt good out there, didn't get the super good feeling that happens on the longer runs, but still a fairly solid sense of feeling okay with things.

Scratch

An even easier paced 5 mile run after work today. Just trying to keep the legs moving, but getting more rested overall.

Scratch

A 7.6 mile run this morning, get me out for a bit of distance and I also ran at tempo for a while. Good solid effort and help reaffirm in my head the progress in leg strength this last month. But now I'm going to shorten up the rest of my runs leading into the 18th to try to ensure that my legs are about as rested as they can be but still in peak shape. I don't really have experience to guide me on this and will have to rely on trying to tell how the legs are feeling day to day.

Scratch

Whoa. Hopefully by this time next week I will be finished. It seems to have come so fast yet it took so long at times.

Ran 3.3 miles this morning at a pretty good clip and I was happy about that after yesterday's 7.6 miles which I thought might tire my legs out a bit too much. Guess not. These legs have been making huge gains in strength and endurance the past 5 weeks it seems like.

The aim for the coming week is to try to run enough miles to keep the legs sharp and not too many that I don't get them rested up for Sunday. I'm just going to be kind of guessing on that and will have to rely on trying to gauge how they feel from day to day and how much I can go at what effort level.

Scratch

Short run today, had a tough time with it probably because I walked too much Sunday afternoon and Monday. It's time for me to take seriously getting the legs properly rested. I'll still likely go out for short runs Thursday and Saturday, but won't do anything extra like I sometimes have a tendency to do as I want to keep pushing.

Still, I think it's a positive sign that on a day where my legs just didn't have much get up and go, I still ran faster than I have done most of this year while running for the last 6 months. That's good, now I just need to get my legs freshened up for Sunday.

Scratch

Wet, cold, windy, wheee what a fun run of 3.3 miles.

Tomorrow I plan to go into Philly and the expo for the marathon to pick up my bag with the bib and timing chip.

Scratch

I just completed my last training run for tomorrow. Ran 3.1 miles today just to keep the legs loose.

According to the training log, I've run 417.6 miles in 80:58:12 over a total of 106 runs to get ready for this.

Scratch

Today was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I will write more later, just thought I'd drop in and say everything went well and safely. My blood sugar immediately after finishing was 113 mg/dl.

I also got to meet Notey who posted some on these boards a while back.

Notey

Hey Scratch!

Nice job! You really kicked some *** out there on Sunday. Way to go.

I had a pretty decent run myself in my first marathon since being diagnosed. I had a couple of blood sugar issues out there but was able to get through it with a cup of Gatorade. About 10 minutes after chowing down on some stuff before taking any insulin, I was 68 mg/dl. I could tell I was starting to go low again right at the end.

It was great meeting you.

Scratch
Hey Scratch!

Nice job! You really kicked some *** out there on Sunday. Way to go.

I had a pretty decent run myself in my first marathon since being diagnosed. I had a couple of blood sugar issues out there but was able to get through it with a cup of Gatorade. About 10 minutes after chowing down on some stuff before taking any insulin, I was 68 mg/dl. I could tell I was starting to go low again right at the end.

It was great meeting you.

Same here, really cool to meet up. It's been a long long time since I've met another type 1, and I'm glad that it wasn't in the context of diabetics meeting up, but in the midst of a bunch of people who like running meeting up before taking on the challenges of marathons, half-marathons, or 8K distance.

I'm also glad that you got through okay and that Philly Tom came out to run another 13.1 miles and be along. Tom's a good guy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.