Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

benetas

Diabetes and Abortions

benetas

Hello there my name is Robert and my girlfriend is a diabetic with type 1 diabetes she was diagnosed when she was nine.

Please note i do not wish this topic to become a debate regarding the pros and cons of abortion i am simply inquiring the relationship between getting an abortion and diabetes.

IF you choose to get an abortion as a diabetic is it any different from getting one if you dont have it?

I do however am aware that the healing process for diabetics is longer.

Any information would be greatly appreciated thankyou so much

CarrieScott

I don't believe so. I've had surgeries and other medical procedures (not specifically an abortion) without any complications as a result of my Type I.

I would strongly encourage her/you/both to consult the doctor to be sure.

June91

I had a miscarriage which ended in a surgical procedure, with no diabetes-related complications.

As with everything else, good control and knowing your individual diabetes peculiarities eliminates most potential problems.

LancetChick

I've had abortions, and with good blood sugar control they shouldn't cause any problems. At the clinic, your girlfriend's blood sugar needs to be reined in or they won't do the procedure (they seem to have a fairly lax idea of what "reined in" means, though). Also, they want you to eat crackers or juice afterward, so she should be aware of that and bring insulin with her.

Dewey

I agree with LancetChick. As long as BGs are in decent enough control, she should be fine. Even if she's running a little ragged (sugar-wise) - as long as you help her afterward, she should be ok. Good luck on this & please keep us informed. We care about all our members. Welcome to the forums family. :shakehand

BriOnH

The problem with diabetes and surgical complications, if surgical complications were to arise, diabetes compounds the seriousness and often rapidly speeds up progression of the surgical complication.

A woman in florida was told that if she got liposuction it could help with control of her type II diabetes. That statement can be true if there are no complications. She had such bad complications that she had to remain in bed for 3 months and due to her inmobility the circulation in her legs was so bad that gangerine set in, and she lost both of her legs.

This isn't meant to scare you; just make sure all your bases are covered before any surgical procedure.

I know several diabetic woman (performed in their teen years) that have had this done and have had no physical complications.

mg_2204

Had a miscarriage at 17 weeks, followed by a medical procedure to clean whatever was left... with absolutely no complications. Like any other medical procedure --could be a dental procedure!-- you need to keep an eye (or both!) on your sugars and look out for signs of infection. And don't wait to see if it's going to get better. Seek medical attention at first sign of infection! Good advice for anything, any part of your body :)

caswellhb

My only imput here would be to say that the emotional stress of the procedure, as with any stress, may cause higher numbers.

I believe there is counselling available in clinics and I would urge the young lady to avail herself of it before and after the procedure.

Please let us know how things go.

Heather.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.