Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TAutry

Biking/Exercise Survival Kit

TAutry

Hi All,

We have had a couple of warmer days in North Carolina, those and the discussions of biking got me to thinking. No need to cringe or send the pets and children from the room.:D

What do or would you put into a biking/exercise survival kit?

In another post I mentioned snacks, water, ID, Swisstool and cash in a fanny pack for biking. After some consideration, I decided I would add an adjustable wrench, cell phone, a small first aid kit, and a couple of large plastic trash bags(for emergency rain gear or shelter).

Jon mentioned carrying snacks, juice boxes and bicycle fix a flat on his bike.

If you made a kit for biking or some other activity, what would you include?

Travis

Tony

Good topic!!

The temp got to 50 the last two days here in RI. Was thinking of doing some moutain biking soon,like this weekend but then I saw the weather for the weekend. Back in the 20's

The only thing I can up with on the spot would be

glucose tablets, don't forget your meter. and a bike pump. The small ones that clip on your bike and tube patch. Back up plan for fix a flat.

How about toilet paper.:confused:

Never know when or where it could happen to you.:D

TAutry

Tony,

Great tips!

I will have to check into the pump and tire patch and I had forgotten the meter. Toilet paper is another good thought.

Travis

hels

Boring answer but one of the best survival things you can do is tell some-one where you are going and what time to expect you back:rolleyes:

One of the stupidest things we saw whilst walking in the lake district was a group with no compass and only a map of Derbyshire (several hundred miles away). This would have been dangerous in good conditions but visibility was low, there was still snow on the ground and a lady had died on that particular mountain (High Street) only the week before.

I'm afraid I don't have much patience with idiots and my husband's comment about them is not repeatable :mad:

TAutry

hels,

Lol, I know what you mean! I do not suffer fools gladly either.

Great reminder to notify someone. I normally do that when I am going to be out in the woods or off driving. No answer here is boring nor foolish. We don't trip over large things because we see them. It is the small things that trip us up because we don't see them.

Your post reminds me that a county map might be a good idea if I head out on the road with the bike.

Thanks!:)

Travis

Jon

I put Green Slime in the tires because it is supposed to keep the tires from going flat if you run over a thorn. I have a small pack that straps under the seat that holds the fix-a-flat. (I have always carried a can in my car, now they make it for bike tires too). The larger pack on the front, I picked up at Cosco. It is insulated for keeping drinks cool, and I carry a few juice boxes and a few small bags of Cheez-its and Goldfish crackers. The side pocket holds an open-end/box-end wrench that fits the nuts on the bike. The other pockets hold my wallet and cell-phone. The toilet paper is probably a good idea if you are going away from civilization, but where I live, I am always just a few minutes from the nearest public restroom.

It is actually warm enough here to get out and ride, so my son and I went last Tuesday. We rode a couple of miles, stopped at a 7-11 for a sandwich, and rode back. His sugar always drops faster when he excercises, so the sandwich worked out good.

TAutry

Jon,

Cool post!

That Green Slime is good stuff. I used it on a lawnmower tire a last year and haven't had a problem since.

You would consider where I live to be a little remote, but there is a country store about 3 miles away. In my case, if I hit the road with the bike I will take the TP. It would be either that or leaves:eek:

Nice that you guys can ride already. I know you both enjoyed it.

Travis

Jon

I sent my son to Diabetes camp the last two summers, and the first year he wrote to me to tell me that they went hiking and learned how to poop in the woods.

I believe they did bring tp with them however, as well as a shovel.

TAutry

LOLOL!

Jon,

Not only, apparently, do wild bears poop in the woods, but wild campers and maybe even cyclists!:D

Travis

Tony
I believe they did bring tp with them however, as well as a shovel.

That is funny. Hey they are training them good. If you got to go then you got to dig. Could be the next tv commerical.:D

TAutry

My brother was in the National Guard for 25 years. He told a story once about how they handled the digging and TP. In the early days, they had the old wooden handled entrenching tools. The nice thing about that was that the handle was just the right size to slip the roll on and use as a dispenser.

Necessity is the mother of invention.;)

Travis

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.