Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dawn

Child Development and Diabetes

Dawn

I hope it is alright for me to be on this forum. I am not a parent but I would like to hear from parents with children with diabetes. I have Type 2 diabetes and I've decided to go to grad school because I want to work with the newly diagnosed. In my Human Growth and Development class we have a paper due regarding child development. I wanted to do mine with how diabetes effects child development and I wondered if any parents have seen any effects to their child's development with diabetes. I've looked for research on this topic and I am not finding too much. Thanks for letting me come over to your forum...I usually hang out in the Type 2 forum :)

Dawn

HollyB

Hi Danielle,

I don't know if I'd be that much help as my son was already 13 when diagnosed, but if you want to PM me with any questions I'd be glad to answer them.

JediSurfer

what sort of effects are you looking for exactly?

I could ask my Mum next time I speak to her. But its been quite a while since I was a child.

Dawn

I'm thinking about if there were any delays in the 'normal' child development expectations that can be related to diabetes. For example in physical growth and development did you grow on target with other children your age, did you learn to walk or crawl later than other children. What about learning? Was it more difficult for you to learn as a child? I wonder also if you remember how diabetes affected you emotionally as a child. Were you sick a lot? Were you depressed or do you think you progressed along 'normal' timelines?

Thanks for thinking about all of this and asking your mom when you talk with her next.

Dawn

JediSurfer

I did physically grew normally. I could walk by the time I was diagnoised and it never stopped me skateboarding or windsurfing. I was often ill and missed some school which made thing more difficult. But I was never held back as a child because of the diabetes. Had a very happy childhood all in all. And with my father also being type one it wasn't something "different" for me. Just how life was and is.

Now my grandfather was a tall man and so are me and my brother. But my father had short legs compared to the rest of his body and was told that this was due to the fact he did'nt develop as a child fully.

Good to hear someone is looking into this area.

Rich

Alice

The only development issue I'm hearing these days is more cause-effect. There is a new epidemic of Type II children who are overweight in the US than in generations past. I heard that this generation of children now has the shortest life expectancy of the last few generations which is unbelievable.

One of the best shows on TV went fairly unnoticed this summer. It was a "reality" show that Shaq produced in Miami working out with a group of severely overweight children. Not only did they make amazing progress (wouldn't you with trainers and Shaq giving you marching orders?) they also fought the school system that had dropped PE from the curriculum which was a shock to me.

They ended up going to the governor and got a promise that all Florida schools would incorporate some type of exercise & nutritional info into the school day.

They didn't focus on diabetes, but mentioned it as a symptom of this growing obese target. Several of the children were diagnosed as morbidly obese, then improved into the obese category...then continued to lose weight & improve BMI.

It was an excellent show...and tied to childhood development.

Dawn

Thanks Alice for mentioning that show. I didn't see it but I will keep my eyes open for it. I am in graduate school right now and I am trying to work out a way for my field placement next sememster to be working with children with T2 or on their way to that diagnosis...so I am sure this show would be helpful for that but as well as for the paper I have due on diabetes and child development!!!

Alice

Dawn, the show was maybe a 5 week series...it's over now. But I think there is a way you can view some TV shows via internet. Not sure how that works...it was on ABC.

It was an emotional struggle for the parents who identified "endless food" with love. Since the show was filmed in S. Florida, there were a lot of carbs in the Cuban diet...as I remember fondly when living in Miami.

They didn't consider cheese as a "fattening" food...the kids learned much of what we Type I kids learned at an early age. The motivation was the big struggle and the fact that the trainer was a "no nonsense" kind of guy...Kind of a Mr. T type. The kids were used to getting their own way...and playing video games all the time.

Dawn

Thanks Alice - I'll do some investigating to see if I can find it.

Ohh...goody...I hope to work with kids on their way to developing diabetes...and I might be the Ms. T type. I currently work with kids with some significant behavior problems and I am a 'no nonsense' kind of gal with them. As Cesar Milan (Dog Whisperer) says...A calm, assertive presence. :)

kel4han

Dawn,

Do you need Type 1 info or type 2 for kids then? My 6yr old was diagnosed Type 1 in December after what I believe was a very S-l-o-w onset. For at least 2 years she had symptoms and signs such as fatigue and irritability after meals, mood swings etc. SHe was nearly considred "failure to thrive" until the age of 3 and has always been in the 1st percentile for weight and height although she was born a healthy 8lbs 1oz.

She has always had an attention problem, not severe but the girls mind wanders! She lacks some muscle tone and has never been very althetic, of course, maybe this is just how she is. She is struggling with fine motor skills, but she is very intelligent and happy, successful otherwise. Just some minor little things that I always wonder of they "put her behind" where she could be due to the slow onset of diabetes and the effects of higher than normal blood sugar on her mind and body. Feel free to PM me if you would like to know more.

BrendaK

As of right now, no physical or developmental delays in my 7 year old (dx'd at 9 months old). In fact, he's been ahead of his class in a few things. He is a math WHIZ -- he was the first 3 year old to know his numbers up to 300:o . Very very sharp in math and numbers. Carson is also extremely articulate. He's been able to express his feelings in words from a very early age. I sincerely believe that's due to diabetes -- he's HAD to learn to tell us if he feels low, high, hates shots, etc. He's also very social and fits in well with his peers. I do worry about long term psychological effects of diabetes, though, just as much as I worry about the long term physical complications. Carson gets frusterated and discouraged very easily, and I think could be prone to depression.

Alice

I was one of the "least athletic" kids in school! (don't think it had anything to do with diabetes...other than the fact that meters weren't in use at the time).

We had to do the President's Fitness Test in Junior High. I never could hang on to the stupid chin-up bar...still hate those things! I was fine in gymnastics and such...but no upper body strength. Looking back, I probably just needed a "trainer" which is popular for kids today. I was a very petite, skinny child.

Also, I had trouble running long distances...I thing blood sugar might have had something to do with that (before meters) and lack of training. Gym teachers were pretty bad back in the "dinasaur days"!!!

Felt good to attend my 30th HS reunion...I was in better physical shape than most of the "athletic girls" that I grew up with! Teeheehee!!!

HiImDan
I'm thinking about if there were any delays in the 'normal' child development expectations that can be related to diabetes. For example in physical growth and development did you grow on target with other children your age, did you learn to walk or crawl later than other children. What about learning? Was it more difficult for you to learn as a child? I wonder also if you remember how diabetes affected you emotionally as a child. Were you sick a lot? Were you depressed or do you think you progressed along 'normal' timelines?

Thanks for thinking about all of this and asking your mom when you talk with her next.

Dawn

I didn't grow an inch for the three years I went undiagnsed/untreated, lost 40 pounds at the age of nine and weighed 80 pounds until I was 12.

Dawn

Thanks everyone for your input. It is helpful to me to hear of your experiences. I am working on the abstract for my paper this weekend and I feel as though I am on the right track to research the affects of diabetes on child development...mental, emotional, physical development.

Thanks again

Dawn

KickStart101

Dawn

Sorry, I just noticed this so it won't be of much value to you.

I think genes/heredity has more to do with a Child's

development. I can easily compare to a few of my

Aunts who were not Diabetic. My Daughter is also

similar to me. Many have said, she's my clone and

actually had mistaken us yrs. ago. She also takes

after a few of my Aunts. She is not Diabetic.

I was 8lbs. 6 ozs, 20" L at birth. I had 3 teeth at

6 mths., long medium/dark hair(it lightened a yr. later).

I took my 1st steps at 9 mths. We didn't have j/k or s/k

so I started school at age 5/Gr.1.

I was the 3rd shortest and lightest during elementary

school. The other 2 were not Diabetic.

I had chcken pox(6 pox Mom said)mumps(one cheek),

measles and most of the childhood diseases. I was only

in Hospital once when I passed out on the lawn at age 10

from kidney infection.

Mom taught me to read by age 4 so reading and spelling

was a cinch in school. I loved reading.

I grew up wrestling(mainly boys :rolleyes: since most of

the Girls were not into that). I was athletic in high school.

I particularly liked Yoga, gymnastics, Track, volley ball.

Outside school, biking, physical games and swimming in the

many lakes in our area.

Most other subjects were okay although History bored me stiff.

Geography made no sense to me. They'd show me

this flat map and tell me this city was here but it didn't look

no where like the same city I had been at. Same goes

for countries on the map. Probably since I wasn't interested.

Since the mid-eighties I've known where most countries/cities

are and I understood how to get there/time/etc. cuz I had

been interested enough to look into it.

I enjoyed learning French but I had no French Friends to converse

with(they didn't understand French) so I lost most of it although

I could easily pick it up. I majored in English, Psychology and Arts.

I was not depressed about Diabetes. More that it was

a PITA and I wasn't supposed to eat sweets. I rebeled

as a teen-ager more so because that's what your

horrmones/brain tells you to. I was more depressed when I found

out that I couldn't marry David Cassidy. :eek::bawling: Now THAT was depressing. ;)

Dawn

Hi KickStart - I too was depressed that I couldn't marry David Cassidy...I loved him :D

Your input was very helpful since everyone's experience is different it is good to see all sides of a subject.

Thanks

Dawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.