Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amyjo29

Thinking of number 2

amyjo29

Hello All,

I have a 7month old daughter and am thinking about number 2 (not yet but some day). I am T2 as my sugars never returned to normal. My question is... did this happen to anyone else who went on to have baby number 2? I'm scared if I get pregnant again it will further progress my diabetes. I'm on diet/exercise only right now and have really good control. I want things to stay like this for a LONG time.

P.S. Wish I knew about this site when I was pregnant.

ladytaz

I know that in 1987, when my daughter was born, I was advised to not have anymore children. It would be dangerous to both me and a baby, since I'd already had GD. The next time could very well be a worse case, and harder to take care of, and could push me into Diabetes, or getting it sooner. She was my third, and finally my girl, and I had NO intentions of having anymore anyway. BUT, this is the 21st century now, and things have changed. Way back then, it was suggested that T1's didn't have children either! Now, they have them all the time and do just fine. People who've previously had GD, have more children, and do just fine! If I were you, I'd consult with my Endo about it. ;)

peacelover

Hello Amyjo29,

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you, but I'm happy to know this forum is here now! I am a 33 year old and was diagnosed with T2 in June 2007. My husband and I had originally planned to try for a baby next year when he is done with school. However, I'm really struggling with the idea of pregnancy and being diabetic. Right now, my A1C is 5.3 and I control with diet and exercise. I'm really scared to get pregnant and destroy my body any more than it is. How are you managing your diabetes since your baby? How much control did you have with your gestational during pregnancy? I probably shouldn't be giving you questions, when you asked for answers!! sorry about that. I plan on talking to a high risk OBGYN or an endo in the near future. I will post what I learn. Take care. Congrats on your healthy baby!

ladytaz

peacelover, now a days, things are different. They give women who are GD or T2 insulin. They didin't back in my day. ALL I had was diet to control it. and a twice a month BG test, up until the last month, then it was weekly. I think that's how it went! It know it wasn't daily! We didn't have home meters then! Anywho. Do like you said. Consult with an OB that specializes in Diabetic Pregnancies, or an Endo who specializes in Pregnancy and learn all you can.

caswellhb

From what I have read, tight control is key. I am pregnant and having problems keeping my numbers down. Having said that, I am finding a new energy and am exercising well.

Honestly? I'm glad for insulin and all the new diabetes information.

Go ahead and talk to your docs, read, research and have wonderful pregnancies.

Heather.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.