Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emily

Hello

Emily

My name is Emily and I am a freshman at Southern CT State University in New Haven, Connecticut. I'm an elementary education major and my minors I think are going to be Spanish and Sociology. I've had diabetes for 17 years and pumping for almost 6. I love being on the pump and the only time I do not wear it is when I go out to a club dancing. (I take a shot of regular insulin beforehand so it will peak later, and also bolus some humalog upfront). I do some volunteer work for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. If anyone has any questions or wants to chat feel free to email me.

Wedge

Hi Emily felt bad because no one has replied. Being a brand new website give it time. You sound very avtive like me Great I love that. Without going into to much detail U can get some of my info in the Type 1 diabetes section if interested. Im a two finger typer so its easier to do this then to start all over again. It would take me all night haha. Glad the pump is working good for ya. I love to dance my self but loving to dance and being able to dance are two differnt things. Actually im not that bad but just dont do it very often. Take care RUBBER DOWN Wedge.:cool:

Tony

Hello Wedge, Welcome to diabetesforums

Hello to everyone I finally got through. For the person from Ireland You dont have to have the pump to be in good diabetic control. I dont use the pump. I use a needles injector. My hbac are 5.8 to 5.2. The main reason I dont use the pump is because im a fireman and i dont think the meter could take the Heat of a fire. Im also a very active nut. I scuba,Karate,weightlifting,sky dive,ride motorcycles and race cars. My hole point to all this is that for me is seems the pump would get in my way. If not the heat of a fire then a good roundhouse kick to the meter or the water pres at 80 feet would probably break it if it was even water proof. Dont get me wrong I think and know its a great tool but just not for everyone. In fact my sister uses it. Until I get off my adrenelin rushes im going to keep using the injector. I know I have way to many hobbies but there like drugs to me I love them all. Im also very big into nutrition and would help anyone if they were having any trouble. Ok dont blast me now but I dont fallow the typical Diabetic diet. In my OPINION startches are nothing but poisen to a Diabetic. Pastas,breads,crackers,milk are nothing more then sugar-sugar-sugar. I have been eating like this for 10 years im 31 and had type one when I was 11. Before this eating style my hbac were terrible in the 8.0 to 10.0 and I felt terrible. I also had slight kidney damage. All of this stopped 6 months after changing how I ate and stopped following the diaticion diet. My Kidneys are back to normal no other side effects. My only other real serius problem is I dont feel low blood sugar either like I used to. Could be the switch to Humilin or the 10 years of eating like a jerk. We all know how dangerous this can be so I do check myself often with my blood meter. What I have learned at least for me is that a higher protein diet will not hurt kidneys. The higher blood sugar is the main problem. Remember I already had damaged my Kidneys but reversed the Damage by following a low carbohydrate eating plan. Sorry im not trying to preach But I feal realy strongly about this and get upset when so many Diabetics are totaly mislead. Everyone thought I was nuts and now even my doctor is suprised by my hbac and my Kidney function. If you guys think im nuts read Dr. Bernstein Diabetic solutions ACOMPLETE GUIDE TO NORMAL BLOOD SUGARS AND with that less side effects. This man is a Doctor and a Diabetic so he knows what were feeling and going through. Take care all of you and lets keep in touch. RUBBER DOWN Wedge.(sorry i cant spell very well)

Wedge, hows that?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.