Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheryl

High Cholesterol

volleyball

Cheryl, I think you need to study this further. You did not break down your cholesterol into components. That will give you a better idea of what to do. Also, you should learn that animal products such as mayo do not raise your cholesterol. I'm not the first one to say here that premenopausal women have not been shown to benefit from taking statins. At your young age and good control, what is your risk? I think it is really low. I suggest why take something for years that may be harmful that you may not get any benefit from. Read the studies, see the age and health of those in the studies.

Doctors, for the most part, can only treat by pills and suggested living habits. If a study says this group has a history of something and a drug combats that, they cover themselves by prescribing it. It could be the biggest mistake in the world but they cannot get sued for telling you to take it, only if they don't.

You have to decide for you. That makes it hard. but the rewards are great.

pjams

Cheryl:

I haven't read all the postings here, so this information may be redundant.

Considering your young age, you may want to try getting on some diet and reducing fatty foods that may lead to formation of cholesterol. Your body will produce some cholesterol on its own. If that turns to be quite high you may have to go on statins, however you may want to give this a try. Starting to use statins requires serious consideration, because it is for life. HDL can be increased with workouts. Higher levels of HDL will give you increased protection.

It is a good thing that you are giving this a serious consideration.

JayP

Mich

Cheryl,

I've been taking ACE inhibitors (lisinopril) for 20 years. When I started, it was to protect my kidneys but later I developed high blood pressure and a little more of the same fixed that too. I have only had a few side effects--slight dizziness the first few days and occasional bouts of throat tickle/coughing. I think it's worth the trade-off.

I have tried every statin they make and all of them eventually make me wake up one morning feeling like I REALLY slept on my neck wrong. It takes a couple of days of no statin for the stiffness to go away, and I look funny for a while trying to turn my head.

The answer for me was ZETIA. It did lower my cholesterol but not as much as the statins did. I cruise along on the borderline and refuse to worry about it. I eat heathy foods with lots of greens, avoid fried foods and still eat mayo, but use only health oils. I recently switched to ENOVA oil, we'll see if it helps. My only real vice is Diet Peach Snapple ;-)

By the way, a chemical stress test recently showed that my heart is in good shape, and so far no kidney problems.

Good luck with choosing your course. Mich

cheryl
Cheryl, I think you need to study this further. You did not break down your cholesterol into components. That will give you a better idea of what to do. Also, you should learn that animal products such as mayo do not raise your cholesterol. I'm not the first one to say here that premenopausal women have not been shown to benefit from taking statins. At your young age and good control, what is your risk? I think it is really low. I suggest why take something for years that may be harmful that you may not get any benefit from. Read the studies, see the age and health of those in the studies.

Doctors, for the most part, can only treat by pills and suggested living habits. If a study says this group has a history of something and a drug combats that, they cover themselves by prescribing it. It could be the biggest mistake in the world but they cannot get sued for telling you to take it, only if they don't.

You have to decide for you. That makes it hard. but the rewards are great.

She called me the nurse and gave me the total in the midst of all my no pump humalog shot only worries, i am like ok a total of 204, and something about my triglycerides were excellent, but I think the LDL was eleveated......

Can high levels of stress affect cholesterol, let me tell you for the past 6 months I have been under a tremendous amount of stress and thought to myself, Ok, my bp, is way normal all the time avg is 115/70 around there....and what not, I don't know if stress will make your cholesterol rise, only in the past couple of weeks have I been more relaxed, you know, I had marital issue's, money problems, ex problems, inlaw problems, dealing and still very much dealing with the death of my grandmother back in March, that I just had a crying spell over again, Sat night, sometimes I have pannic attacks cause I worry about things, I work, started a new job which was high stress at first things just started to calm down......I have four kids of my own and three step kids....so that is another thing, and they are here a lot.....deal with the diabetes....I take care of the bills the house cleaning, the laundry, the birthday parties the church functions, the football games, and practices, making sure cars are registered, Oil changes, keeping papers organized, everything in it's place, dr's visits for me or the kids, dentists, school lunch money, Ok, Ok,

Ok, the point is will all this affect my cholesterol......should I take a vacation.....

And for the other person that responded, I don't know how much healthier I could eat....unless I became a full fledged vegan, but I love chicken and turkey, but I do eat soy,

Anyway feedback....

Cheryl

volleyball

Cheryl, you may want to take some of your own advice. Remember to take care of you. Do something good for yourself? Laugh, have fun, LIFE IS TOO SHORT!!!!!!!!!

I think you are doing great self management. Stress could be the culprit. There are some foods that are suppose to help HDL so that in my opinion the only change I would make at this time. Maybe you are less active because so much is going on. You can always start taking the medicine in the future. And I think vegan is not the best diet for a diabetic, maybe better than a Mickey D's diet.

Would you be comfortable sticking with what you are doing now for 6 month or a year?

pjams

Ways to increase HDL (the good guys) are

Exercise. Lose Weight, Stop Smoking and Eating Healthy Foods.

By cutting trans fat and other saturated fats LDL can be reduced.

I would try these first.

They worked for me.

JayP

cheryl
Cheryl, you may want to take some of your own advice. Remember to take care of you. Do something good for yourself? Laugh, have fun, LIFE IS TOO SHORT!!!!!!!!!

I think you are doing great self management. Stress could be the culprit. There are some foods that are suppose to help HDL so that in my opinion the only change I would make at this time. Maybe you are less active because so much is going on. You can always start taking the medicine in the future. And I think vegan is not the best diet for a diabetic, maybe better than a Mickey D's diet.

Would you be comfortable sticking with what you are doing now for 6 month or a year?

it has been this way for me for a long long time, I have been less active for a couple of days trying not to get low...but other then that at work, I am on my feet for 8-9 hrs, I don't get a break, and I run to sweep the parking lot, make coffee, change out trash, sometime do stock in freezer, sometimes clean the bathrooms, but on my days off, I am running around getting some appointments done, then cleaning the house and let me tell you cleaning after 6-9 people is a workout, everday of your life....I have a two year old at home, with me all the time, when I go to my son's foot ball practice I walk around the track, I start to wind down about 8ish, but still have to make sure kids are done with baths, and are reading there 30 minutes before bedtime....and all....so umm I don't know where I am not really active....honestly, I am 109 pounds 5'2,

well, I do take time for myself about 9 I take a long hot bath, do my nails, sometime I buy myself something cheap lol.....but that is about it, LOL...as long as there is no issue's I can keep up with everything, things have calmed down quite a bit the past couple of weeks around here emotionally so, i dunno, maybe i need to take my oatmeal to work, that is the only thing I am not eating like I did before i went back to work, I ate oatmeal every morning, but when I am at work I don't but on my days off i do, or if I am not wanting to eat the dinner I made cause I don't feel like dealing with the bloodsugars, I will eat oatmeal in the evening, I have slacked on oatmeal.......

ok, I am done I am getting tired...LOL

Cheryl

cheryl
Ways to increase HDL (the good guys) are

Exercise. Lose Weight, Stop Smoking and Eating Healthy Foods.

By cutting trans fat and other saturated fats LDL can be reduced.

I would try these first.

They worked for me.

JayP

So what i do does not constitute as exercise, I thought cleaning a house was more strenous then a walk or a jog LOL....I am really thin, I don't smoke and i eat healthy, I don't eat partially hydrogenated oils or hydrogenated, nothing boxed or processed, I will even slave the 5 hrs to cook spaghetti sauce, or let my bread get a bit stale to have bread crumbs, every meal consists of fruits and veggies, I only eat stone ground wheat, I have my moments where I eat chips but only the ones that have three ingredients in them which is lays plain or ruffles plain but that is a once in a while thing, oh yea NO MSG at all period end of discussion, I only eat out occasionally and if I do, most of the time it is a big salad, but I am entitled to chicken nuggets from mcd's atleast once a month LOL......

and I like treating my low's with juice or peanut mm's or a small reese's cup the minature once, which I am not low all the time anymore....

I gotta a pretty decent diet...

Cheryl

pjams
So what i do does not constitute as exercise, I thought cleaning a house was more strenous then a walk or a jog LOL....

I gotta a pretty decent diet...

Cheryl

To me exercise is increasing heart rate and maintaining it for about 20 minutes or so. That increases the blood flow. I guess that counts as cardiac workout.

cheryl

I was on my other forum and someone had a link to B-1 defiency, Thiamine, in diabetics, I dunno the link, but I wonder if I am deficient because, some of the foods that have B-1 in them I crave, like I love love love sunflower seeds, and I love lentils, I also crave celery, and tomato's, and my thing is getting a big big bag of coleslaw, i mean just the shredded and you add your own stuff, and I put either, real mayo, or I use vegenaise....or nayonaise....and spice it up with some garlic powder, which garlic is another one, and it seems like I still want more and more.....

So plus with a b-1 deficiency it said something about a higher chance of neurothopy and retinopathy, links to alztimers(however you spell that).....so vascular disease's that link up with the heart. Also, if you drink a lot of coffee, or tea, and take a diruetic, this takes away the thiamine.....certain drugs, too, So I am on a mission to buy like raw, not roasted sunflower seeds, a woman should consume 1.1 miligrams of b 1 a day, so like i figure I should double and triple that since diabetics are linked to some deficiency, maybe that is the rise in cholesterol, because you know how everything links to each other, So that is my mission. If in three months my number is not lower, and all, because I think I am going to try to do some cardio work outs too when I have the time.....

I will take Statins if I can't lower it myself, so Cheryl is on a mission.....

Cheryl

Cyborg

Personally, I'd go with the ACE (or similar) and not the cholesterol med. If you are determined, you should be able to get the cholesterol down through good diet (and perhaps a baby aspirin)...

cheryl
Personally, I'd go with the ACE (or similar) and not the cholesterol med. If you are determined, you should be able to get the cholesterol down through good diet (and perhaps a baby aspirin)...

Yea, I was thinking of that too, because some just get dizzy for a few days, so I am awaiting for my hormones to subside cause at this time of the month I get hot and cold flashes and feel really off sometimes, so I don't want to mistake any feelings..........

So what is the benefit of aspirin, I heard it thins the blood, oh duh, that would be a good thing for a little of a clog if that is what my tad elevated cholesterol was doing.......

Any suggestions on a good cardio, exercise....that well, I can do at home with tons of children, or better yet, I can workout on my days off of work, I only work 2-4 days a week depending on there need for me, I wanted partime I am too busy with a zillion kids to work fulltime......

So any suggestions.......

Cheryl

Dawn

Hi Cheryl,

I just wanted to say that I know how overwhelming and confusing it is as well. There is so much information to process and we don't really know how it will effect us in the long term...if we take the medication or not. I attended a Heart Health lecture recently and they did say for diabetics our LDL needed to be under 75 (I didn't even know that was possible). I can't remember what they said for HDL. I was always shooting for my LDL to be under 100. I tried all kinds of ways to bring that number down and I finally went on medication. I was so excited when it came down to 113 from 175. I am going to experiment with it and see if it is possible that once it is down I can cut back or stop the medication and see what happens. My thinking is: my body - my experiment project.

I don't really have any advice for you. I just wanted to acknowledge that it is confusing and overwhelming. Good luck with making you decision. Sounds like you are gathering information to make the best choice you can for yourself at this time.

Dawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.