Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shabbie6247

which supplements do you take?

shabbie6247

and why...?

i take each day :~

3 capsules of fish oils (for heart, joints and memory)

1 capsule of starflower oil (reputed to have anti-inflammatory properties)

2 tablets of glucosamine with cider vinegar and chondroitin. (for repair of joints, also liver support)

MJB

Multivitamin - just in case I'm short of something

Fish oil - for lower cholesterol/triglycerides

Metamucil caps - for fiber

parrotletzoo

I was on Omocor (prescription fish oil) for cholesterol. It worked butnot as well as lipitor, I'm back on Lipitor. and I took blueberry extract which was recommended by my eye doctor and I have to say I do think it helped.

now I take calcium/magnesium and a multivitamin and thats it.

Becareful of which supplements you take they are MEDICINE, many can be toxic at high levels, and they can interact with prescription meds and grapefruit like regular rx meds do. (example: willow bark has the same ingredient as asprin which can thin your blood, ginko also can thin blood, dandilion root is a diuretic and can be harsh on the kidneys when used with other diuretics and shouldnt be taken with other blood pressure meds, there are websites that list other interactions) Let your drs/pharmacist know which ones you are taking.

notme

Super B complex. I do it for neuropathy (who knows), hot flashes (not working) and hair loss (time will tell).

Nothing else.

wiseguy

Apple Cider Vinegar - 3 tablespoons with lunch and dinner to reduce BG spikes.

Chromium Picolinate - 200 mg twice daily for help with BG control.

Cinnamon Capsules - 1000 mg twice daily for help with BG control.

Insulow (r-Alpha Lipoic Acid & Biotin) - before each meal for help with BG control and increased energy.

Omega 3 Fish Oil - 1000 mg three times daily to hopefully prevent cholesterol problems.

Salacia Oblonga - 500 mg before each meal to reduce BG spikes.

shabbie6247

its interesting all the different supplements people take, even the fact that some people dont take anything at all.

Dawn

Multi-vitamin

Flax seed oil - cholesterol (don't like fish oil)

Niacin - (can't remember why but my doctor suggested it and I wrote it down somewhere)

81 mg Aspirin

Daily dose of positive thinking

sherry

Calcium/magnesium/vitamin D - prevent osteoperosis, I hope

Irwin Naturals Low Glycemic Sugar Metabolizer - to lower glucose levels (so far, this has helped me)

Hyland's Restful Legs - stop restless leg syndrome symptoms (so far, this has worked for me too)

Flax Oil on my salads - heart health, I hope

Evermont

For 43 years I felt I needed no such thing and never suffered for it. I've done some study recently on macro and micro nutrients and decided to get some cheap insurance, and now help with BG stabilization.

This is what I bought just a few days ago - interested in your reactions...

RLimages%5C10891sup_mens1.gif

msbronco

I currently am taking multiple vitamin along with metformin. I am a type2 and not always in good control. I am interested in herbal remedies...a little afraid though. Some friends of mine are talking to me about something called Stem Enhance. It is plant based and is supposed to help your own body release stem cells which then travel to where they are needed,in my case the pancrease. They have testimonies of people who have reduced their insulin dosages and lowered their meds. Anyone have any info on this? I hate being on meds since I hear of so many side effects(no matter what med it is)I'd like to think my friends are really wanting to help me and notjust entice me to take their product to benefit their pocket!

Penny

After doing some reading, I added 1000mg calcium, 400mg of Magnesium, and 15mg zinc, as I have been having so much "bone and joint" pain. Also from what I read, this combination could heelp with Triglcerides. Mine are high, though cholesterol is good. About 3 days after I started them, I started getting some pretty severe upper region gas (burping mostly), last night the gas pains were so bad, the only way I could sleep (what little I did) was sitting up in a chair. I just had about every test they have for my digestive system, and though they found some small areas, that don't look right....nothing serious. Now I am wondering if it is caused by these added supplements. Has anyone had a problem with this? I am still taking an iron supplement, which I think might cause stomach problems, but the doctor wants me to continue them for at least another month. My iron levels are up, until I am not considered anemic now.

slipperyelm

Penny, I don't think I have heard of stomach problems from zinc, magnesium or Calcium, but I surely have heard of stomach problems from iron.

Penny
Penny, I don't think I have heard of stomach problems from zinc, magnesium or Calcium, but I surely have heard of stomach problems from iron.

I am going to stop the iron for a few days and see if it makes a difference. I have been wondering about it since I started taking it, as I often have the stomach problenm, just never as severe as the last one. That is why I wondered about the new supplements. I was told to continue the iron until December.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.