Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shabbie6247

which supplements do you take?

jeggeman31

I take nothing

Now due to my short response it would not let me post this message, so I am typing this so I can post my 3 word response.

Mich

Multivitamin most days. I eat lots of greens and only whole grain carbs.

ALA 200-600mg for my neuropathy. If I miss a few days, cramps and pain come back. They go away within 2 hrs of taking a 200 mg dose. Good enough proof for me. I first heard about it in Bernstein's book. Googling ALA and neuropathy gives more backing. ALA is cheap at Trader Joe's.

PS I'm not a Dr nor do I work for Trader Joe's. :T

I am however, a professional diabetic :cool: Mich

slipperyelm

Penny, if you are not on a prescription Iron supplement, ask your doctor if there is a prescription one that might be gentler for you. I know it is available by RX and you would not be the forst person to have troubles with it. A friend of mine even goes regularly to get some sort of IV infusion for iron. She did, coincidentally have a hospitalization for a stomach bleed this year, too.

Mich, that is interesting about ALA (alpha lipoic acid). I will look at our local Trader Joes to see what form they sell. I read about it in Bernstein a while back and did not try it until early this summer. I'm using the form purified to contain only the Right-handed enantiomer of it, as Bernstein recommends so it is more expensive than what I've found in the drugstores. I don't have any current detectable neuropathy, but it works amazingly well to bring down my blood sugar at the meal with which I take it. In fact, sometimes I open a capsule and take only half of it because, if it is a low carb meal, 100 mg of ALA can make my BG go uncomfortably low, like down into the low 70s.

That ALA should work so well for me makes me wonder just exactly what are the mechanisms involved in my own type 2 diabetes. Why is my particular physiology so set up to respond to ALA? I have read of other t-2s taking a whole lot more ALA than I do and maybe not even being able to tell a difference. Why does it work for me, but not for them?

I feel a little bit shy to even talk about ALA so glowingly, because I fear people will just think I am a kook. So I mention it sometimes, read some other languages so I could go on other websites to see what Europeans say about ALA. Bernstein says it is a prescription med in Europe, but here in the USA do doctors ever mention it? Probably not. I would like to know more about others' experience with ALA, the good and the bad (if there is any :) ).

Penny
Penny, if you are not on a prescription Iron supplement, ask your doctor if there is a prescription one that might be gentler for you. I know it is available by RX and you would not be the forst person to have troubles with it. A friend of mine even goes regularly to get some sort of IV infusion for iron. She did, coincidentally have a hospitalization for a stomach bleed this year, too.

Mich, that is interesting about ALA (alpha lipoic acid). I will look at our local Trader Joes to see what form they sell. I read about it in Bernstein a while back and did not try it until early this summer. I'm using the form purified to contain only the Right-handed enantiomer of it, as Bernstein recommends so it is more expensive than what I've found in the drugstores. I don't have any current detectable neuropathy, but it works amazingly well to bring down my blood sugar at the meal with which I take it. In fact, sometimes I open a capsule and take only half of it because, if it is a low carb meal, 100 mg of ALA can make my BG go uncomfortably low, like down into the low 70s.

That ALA should work so well for me makes me wonder just exactly what are the mechanisms involved in my own type 2 diabetes. Why is my particular physiology so set up to respond to ALA? I have read of other t-2s taking a whole lot more ALA than I do and maybe not even being able to tell a difference. Why does it work for me, but not for them?

I feel a little bit shy to even talk about ALA so glowingly, because I fear people will just think I am a kook. So I mention it sometimes, read some other languages so I could go on other websites to see what Europeans say about ALA. Bernstein says it is a prescription med in Europe, but here in the USA do doctors ever mention it? Probably not. I would like to know more about others' experience with ALA, the good and the bad (if there is any :) ).

I have had the iron IV infusion twice, the anemia keeps coming back though. I also was hospitalized for the stomach bleeding. My last test showed much improvement in the anemia problem, so I am inclined to just stop taking the iron supplement for the few weeks until I get tested again. The stomach thing was so bad, I was afraid I was having another heart attack. Even though my control is the best it has been for a long time, the neuropathy in one foot and one hand is really bad, I am tempted to try the ALA. Are there any side effects I need to worry about? I take Lantus and Novolog, could it cause a problem with that?

Mich

Penny, the only side effects I can find mentioned are from larger doses than I take. Sometimes it gives people a stomach ache and sometimes a mild skin rash, but I encourage you and Google to check it out--it's different for everyone. I decided it couldn't hurt to try it and was very pleasantly surprised.

Slippery Elm: I have seen several mentions in my research on ALA of insulin resistance being lowered. (Google ALA and neuropathy) As I understand it, many type 2's have high insulin resistance.

I understood that the difference in the ALA recommended by name by Dr B was possibly a certified purer form and was definitely time-release. The stuff from TJ's isn't time release and I took a chance on the purity thing. It works for me, I take 200 three times a day, tapering off to lower doses occasionally if all is going well and upping it again if I have problems. So far, so good.

Mich

Alice

I was anemic back in college...they put me on pre-natal vitamins (the nice big horsepills!)...and I seemed to do fine. No trace of anemia now...so I'm not really up on new treatments. Are you also getting natural Iron from your diet? I would think think that might absorb better...(raisins, etc.)

Count the carbs, of course.

Penny
I was anemic back in college...they put me on pre-natal vitamins (the nice big horsepills!)...and I seemed to do fine. No trace of anemia now...so I'm not really up on new treatments. Are you also getting natural Iron from your diet? I would think think that might absorb better...(raisins, etc.)

Count the carbs, of course.

I love raisins, but just a few cause a big spike. I eat lots of greens....spinach, mustard greens, broccoli and even beets.

Leighlee

I have been taking the Walmart's Spring Valley brand: Diabetes Nutrition packets. Each packet contains 6 tablets consisting of vitamins and nutrients for diabetics. I have noticed a remarkable difference in how I feel on the days I take the packets. You might want to give them a try.

jjordie

I was very interested to read about ALA so googled this information:

Alpha-Lipoic ACIDS

What is Alpha-Lipoic acid?

What conditions has Alpha-Lipoic acid been used to treat?

Dosage and side effects

Which conditions has Alpha-Lipoic Acid been used to treat?

Those who benefit the most from this supplement are those with diabetes as it is excellent at treating nerve damage. Its antioxidant properties work on free radicals - the very things that have contributed to nerve damage.

It also helps those who need to take insulin to respond better to the hormone and they often find that when taking this supplement that their glucose levels are lower.

It has been seen to work well with those who need to eliminate toxins from the body therefore it is used by practitioners in the treatment of cirrhosis, poisoning and hepatitis.

Primary

Cirrhosis, poisoning and hepatitis.

Secondary

It is used for diabetes, Alzheimer's disease,

chronic fatigue syndrome, and AIDS.

It inhibits the development of cataracts.

How much is normally taken?

For specific conditions the usual amount is 100-200mg, three times a day.

For general use as an antioxidant take 50-100mg a day.

Are there any contraindications or side effects?

There are no serious side effects.

Some may have a mild reaction such as a stomach upset or an allergic rash.

If this is the case,reduce the dose or discontinue use.

===============

Sounds like a good thing but will check it out with my GP before taking any.

:)

lisa821

Fish oil concentrate--1000 mg

Ferrous sulfate--325 mg

Pycnogenol--two 30 mg capsules

81 mg aspirin

Recently added on experimental basis:

Biotin--5000 mcg

B1--100mg

~Lisa

fredkelly

I keep running into people on the internet talking about Diamaxol and Vitabase blood sugar formula. Does anyone have any experience? I found a number of less than favorable reviews for at least Diamaxol at ______.

Old man

Tried a few bottles of Vitabase blood sugar formula and it seemed to do no harm. I found Nature's Way Completia Diabetic Tabs which I think is a good multi-vitamin and mineral supplement and it has everything listed in the Vitabase product at $14.95 per 90 tabs at Highlife-vitamins.

Carwy

I take:

CoQ-10 for blood flow and heart health. Since starting it my BP has dropped enough that it is now normal and my Dr. is not worried about it anymore.

co Q 10

Ginkgo Biloba - for memory. they said I would have short term memory lose for the chem and TBI. I do not see where it has effected me. Is it because of the Ginkgo Biloba? who knows.

ginkgo biloba

and

I took Cat' s claw for a while (between treatments). What is cat's claw

Cat's Claw is a tropical vine that grows in rain forest and jungle areas in South America and Asia.

They say it fights cancer. I do not know about that, but I do know the pain in my leg (which was full of cancer) went away after I had been talking it for a couple of weeks.

cat's claw

This is what works for me and it may not work for others.

poster_ben
I keep running into people on the internet talking about Diamaxol and Vitabase blood sugar formula. Does anyone have any experience? I found a number of less than favorable reviews for at least Diamaxol at ______.

As I searched for it (on the net), I have seen a couple of good and not-so-good topic with Diamaxol. I think you better ask your doctor first before taking any drug or supplement for your safety. Recently, FDA has been on the active patrol on supplements, as I have read on the news that you can find on the net. I am not sure what happened to those supplements included on the FDA's list. This action also stirred up quite a few reactions from the natural advocates as I have been hopping to other forums as well.

AliB

I have posted on the thread on this site about Vitabase. Someone else asked if anyone had any experience. Well, I keep repeating myself, but I am not sure that anyone else believes me. There seems to be a very cynical element on this forum. I hope there are a few out there who might prove me wrong!

I am currently taking Vitabase. I started it at the beginning of October and achieved instant results. It has dropped my blood sugar by at least 100 points from well over regular 200's, even up to 300's down to normal or just above. I rarely go above 180 even after food and my waking BS is between 100 - 120. I no longer wake with the 'dawn phenomenon'.

My sugar levels have been a little higher this week but I am suffering with a cold. I am Type 2. I produce little of my own insulin so have to take around 2 x 20 units per day and also Metformin. My waking BS pre-Vitabase was anything between 200-250.

Apart from the odd testimonial I picked up on the internet, I had had no other recommendation so tried it blind. I figured at that price what did I have to lose? I just wish I had found it a long time ago. Since then I have tried to pass on my experience as there is nothing as good as personal recommendation and discussion - wish I had seen a bit more of that before I started - not that it would have made any difference though!

Like most diabetic medication in general it works better when I restrict my carb intake and not so good when I don't, so the end result is down to me. If you think you can take this and get away with uncontrolled eating you may be disappointed. I cannot guarantee that it will work for everyone, but it works for me.

gambi
I have posted on the thread on this site about Vitabase. .

Who make Vitabase or is that the brand name? Where can I find it? Would a grocery or drug store sell it or would I need to try GNC or something like that?

ALso would it work for a type 1?

Thanks!

Old man
AliB

Sorry Old Man, couldn't figure out what you meant by 'like getting Vitabase free'.

The Nature's Way product is more expensive than the Vitabase Blood Sugar Formula, Vitabase give you a free pot with your first order and for every three you buy you also get one free. I looked and it didn't seem to have the same ingredients, but everyone to their own.

Hi Gambi. If you Google Vitabase you will find it. Whether you could buy it locally I haven't a clue but you could ask them. I think it unlikely that it will help type 1 as the ingredients are designed to help with insulin resistance. Having said that I have no experience with the product and type 1 so I cannot make that a categoric statement. Sometimes it is just a matter or experimentation.

Some have found that Omega oils help too. It is all a bit of a lottery. We are all different so things that will benefit some will not benefit others and it is simply often just a matter of trying different things until we find out what benefits us.

I stopped the Vitabase 2 days ago just to see what would happen and because I wanted to take some Milk Thistle to boost my liver and hopefully help my stomach. amazingly my BS levels have still remained pretty low, so the Vitabase obviously has an enduring effect even after being stopped. If and when my sugar levels start to rise again I will start taking it again. Obviously not having to take it all the time would make it go further too!!!

Old man

You're right. I researched the information some time ago and relied on my feeble memory. Vitabase Blood Sugar formula has Banaba, Guggle, Bitter melon, Licorice extract, Cinnamon, Gymnema Sylvestre, Yarrow, Cayenne, Juniper berries, and Huckleberry. The other does not have these ingredients. Nature's Way does have 11 in greater quantities than Vitabase. Nature's Way has 27 ingredients Vitabase lacks. They are not the same and the ingredients missing may be what is helping you. I was buying a GNC Mega Man multi-vitamin and mineral in addition to Vitabase BSF and decided to use Nature's Way Completia Diabetic instead. But again your right, they are not the same and Nature's Way may not work for you. I would be reluctant to change anything that gives the results you've achieved.

HealthyChocolat

Cocoa heals & prevents complications of diabetes. Don't pay for phony supplements, the best thing in the world is right down at your supermarket! Be sure to get the natural, non-alkalinized cocoa. Alkalinization, also known as Dutch processed, destroys the antioxidants.

Also read this. It's astounding! Hollenberg & the Kuna Indians:

(deleted link)

dropship-dvd
Hidden

www hw925shop com are the biggest DVD,VCD,MOVIE,TV SHOW,etc wholesaler in China, hw925shop offer WHOLESALE & DROPSHIP DVD MOVIE BOX SETS all over the worldwide. All of items are high quality and competitive price.

Hw925shop have the professional dropship DVDS service? The dropship service is a no investment,no inventory,no risks,We package your orders and ship them to your customers directly through EMS express with online tracking available.No minimum order.

Product list:West Wing,Veronica Mars,The Lord of the Rings Trilogy,Golden Girls,Dead Zone,Apprentice,Star Trek Enterprise,Star Trek Deep Space Nine,SIX FEET UNDER,Roswell,OZ,NYPD Blue,Nip Tuck,MASH,Married with Children,Grey's Anatomy,Frasier,Everybody Loves Raymond,ER,Desperate Housewives,Deadwood,CSI MIAMI,Charmed,Band of Brothers,friends,Simpsons,Star Wars,Sopranos,CSI,24 HOURS,South Park, THE L WORD,star gate,007,

Baby Einstein,Monk,seinfeld,The Shield,OC,babylon,Queer as folk,Will And Grace,profiler,Alias,ANGEL,STAR TREK VOYAGER,

Star Trek The Next Generation,SEX AND THE CITY,x-Files,Ally Mcbeal,Xena Warrior Princess,STAR WARS,Star Trek The Original Series,Smallville,PROJECT RUNWAY,Medium,FAMILY GUY,Disney 100 Years of Movies,Buffy the Vampire Slayer,Black Adder,Barbie,Baby Einstein Language Nursery,Addested Development,Without A Trace, etc.

All DVDs are officially released Asian version with best quality.

Brand new and factory sealed, come with original English audio

Region free, NTSC/PAL compatible, will play on all region code DVD players.

(All of DVDS are US Version DVDs without Chinese writing on the cover to help you selling easier on ebay )

Please visit our website: www hw925shop com

Email: hw925shop@163.com

MSN: hw925shop@hotmail.com

pdxdennisj

Re: The person taking Niacin - It is to help with cholesterol - lowers LDL and raises HDL. Folks with D should only take it under docs supervision as it can suddenly trigger very high BGs. The timed release are very bad for the liver or kidneys (don't remember which). All this is per the San Francisco head of the Gladstone Lipid Clinic at UCSF.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.