Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kribou

Needing LOTS of help with my questions!

kribou

Hi there. I am brand new on this site. I have been diabetic for 24.5 years! I recently was told that I need to get pregnant quick if I want to have a healthy baby.....but...my A1C is higher then it should be, and I have been diagnosed with PCOS, so now i am being put on different meds to help with that (including metformin, which made me soooo sick and ssoooo low!) So questions 1#- anyone who has had an A1c of 7 or higher and had a baby can you please share your story with me. So far I have been told what can go wrong but not heard of anyone actually having the side effects, stories either way would be appriciated.

question #2- My doc just put me on Levimere because I am putting on alot of weight on Lantus....my sugars are now 12-18 every morning (till after lunch) I take it with Humalog....I was told there will be an adjustment period, but it has been 2 weeks...is this normal?

Question #3- Any helpful tips for loosing weight while being diabetic? Exercise helps me feel better but not weight loss!!!

I would really appriciate any help! thank you

xMenace

Cut the food back!

12-18 is way too high. There are ways to help. Some MDIers are more knowledgeable than me. There's a topi somewhere here on adding an NPH shot in the evening. I'd up my morning humalog and/or drop my carb intake at breakfast. Bolus half an hour early too.

Welcome.

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/type-1/21752-combining-nph-and-lantus.html

Who?

Question #3- Any helpful tips for loosing weight while being diabetic?

I think you need to eat less. This will also reduce your insulin requirements, so it has to be done carefully and under your doctor's supervision to avoid too many lows.

According to most things I have read, it would not be a good idea for you to get pregnant with your present numbers. I cannot imagine why your doctor said that.

Good luck and keep us informed.

shabbie6247

welcome kribou

do you count the carb content of your food intake? how much insulin so you take with each meal?

and what are your meals made up of?

i'm no expert on weight loss btw, but i did lose half a stone recently when i started counting carbs properly, i am no longer feeding the insulin.

PCOS responds really well to the GI diet

we really wish you success on your mission and hope we can help you get there! theres loads of help and support here.

princesslinda

Hi Kribou, weldome! You'll find lots of great support, information and encouragment here...glad you found us!

kgm0612

Welcome to the forum.

My advice would be to cut back on your carbohydrate intake and get in some type of exercise (walking) if you're not already doing so.

Metformin will cause stomach problems, but it is not known to cause lows. If you are indeed going to try to get pregnant, your doctor should take you off the Metformin all together.

Good luck!

Karen

kribou

Thanks for all the advice...i evened back out for a few days but now i'm back up again.....but this time to 13-14 in the am and now back to 4-9 the rest of the day! thanks again for your help!

Jan B

Kribou,

A long time ago, doctors advised me to get pregant before age 30, for the health of me and the baby. He said it would be harder to adopt a child (type 1 unheathly mother) than have a healthy baby. I wanted to adopt. My little brother is adopted, and I didn't want to pass diabetes along . . .

Some people will say if you do everything right (glucose control), nothing bad can happen to the baby. (You have to be very aware that non-diabetics also sometimes have babies with problems.) My child looked perfect, but had a very bad heart (transposition of major arteries, single ventricle, and a disfunctional aorta. At one day old, he had surgery that gave him 5 1/2 months of life. I kept in the best control I could while pregnant, and became very upset when my glucose levels shot up every now and then.

The only time I joined other diabetics in a meeting was a couple years after my baby died. A Type 1 w/2 healthy children made the comment about great control always making great babies . . . I was to introduce myself next. I did, but never went back.

I wish there were easy answers.

sarah91

Hi I'm new to this site too. I'm so relieved to find someone with the same probs as me. I've been type 1 for 18 yrs and also have pcos. My hba1c is currnetly 8.7 and have been told to get it below 8 before I can have fertility treatment to help me ovulate. I read somwhere that pcos can make you resistant to insulin, I think this is why we are having trouble getting our levels down. I've been on metformin for 2 years and with eating the right things have lost 1 1/2 stone which I'm really chuffed with. The docs are now happy with my weight and are now focusing on the hba1c which is incredibly frustrating as no matter what I do it isn't coming down fast enough for me.

Whats the latest with you?

nono87
#2- My doc just put me on Levimere because I am putting on alot of weight on Lantus....my sugars are now 12-18 every morning (till after lunch) I take it with Humalog....I was told there will be an adjustment period, but it has been 2 weeks...is this normal?

hey,

i've just had a similar problem but my range was 10.13 in the morning i have been on levimir for a month now and things have actually calmed down. i have increased my morning bolus and i am reducing my afternoon and evening ones. i go to the gym 3 times a week and whenever i go gym i have to reduce my insulin intake but keep the same amount of carbs otherwise i go really low!!!

just keep twicking at your figures until you get the right combination i think i have tried four different ones so far and i have finally got the one that works for me!!!:D

sarah91

Glad to hear your getting the hang of things. In your original post you asked for any pregnancy stories. Mine is an emotional one but I hope it relays to you haow important it is for you to have the best control possible before attempting to get pregnant.

Four yrs ago I was an ok diabetic but probably not the best I could have been. I was suffering with depression but getting better, I fell pregnant whilst on holiday. My boyfriemd and I were over the moon. I had severe morning sickness for the first 3 months and I used to walk home with a plastic bag in my hands as I would be sick as I was walking home it was that bad! At 16 weeks my waters broke and I spent the next 2 months lying on my back as much as possible to keep as much of the remaining water with the baby. At 24 weeks I went into labour and unfortunately gave birth to a stillborn baby girl who we named Abigail. Since then I have not had a period, have been diagnosed with pcos and have

not ovulated. I have seen a counsellor who thinks that because of the traumatic experience I had my body has shut down and will not return to normal until I have grieved properly and sorted myself out physically and mentally.

I don't mean to scare you but it is incredibly important that you are in the best condition possible so you and your baby can be as healthy as possible.

Good luck and let me know how you are getting on

Sarah

BlueSky
... i'm back up again.....but this time to 13-14 in the am and now back to 4-9 the rest of the day! ...

When do take the Levimer? If it is in the morning, you are probably running out of insulin during the night. This would explain your high morning numbers - Levimer only lasts about 18 hours. Alternatively, you could deal with the morning rise by having some NPH before going to bed.

JJM335

Kribou:

For most (if not all) T1's, Levemir is certainly not a once-daily insulin. The emc website has some information which indicates once daily in conjunction with oral agents (i.e. for T2's) or once or twice daily as part of a basal-bolus regime

Levemir Cartridge 100 U/ml, Levemir Pre-filled Pen 100 U/ml , SPC from the eMC

If you look at the action curve (which I have attached) you can see that at at low or moderate doses, it is not even a 12 hour insulin. I tried a switch from Lantus (again twice daily) to Levemir and found that I couldn't even get the Levemir to last for 12 hours. Of course everyone seems to react differently and some T1's love Levemir.

My (entirely personal) take on the Lantus/weight gain thing is that it is a bit of a red herring. The "problem" with Lantus is that it is very very easy to take too much - you then end up having to eat more to keep up with your insulin. Worse, as you increase your dose, you start to become less insulin sensitive and you then need even more - this leads to a vicious circle.

If you have your basals set properly you should not be covering ANY of your food with the Lantus, that's the job of your bolus. Getting a correct basal dose requires work, time and a lot of testing but it is worthwhile and if you are serious about better numbers I would recommend you do this regardless of whether you use Levemir or Lantus. IMHO correct basals are the KEY to good control.

A good description of how to do this can be found in two books (both available through Amazon.co.uk):

Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner

Using Insulin by John Walsh

Alternatively, you could talk to your Doctor about going onto a DAFNE course.

Joel

post-9057-139628772291_thumb.gif

steph1

Hi There,

I am also a Type 1 and had a A1C at 7.1 and was given the ok to get pregnant. The great news is that I have a HEALTHY and beautiful daughter who is super strong and has had NO issues (and hopefully never will). I struggled with many lows and highs during my pregnancy (particularily lows due to the hormones). I was monitored very closely (weekly) and tried to eat well and exercise (particularily walking daily).

I was on Lantus during the pregnancy (because my doctor wasn't comfortable yet with Levemir).

Since having the baby (she is now 8 months old), I have switched to Levemir and also had to split my doses to avoid lows. I have now just been diagnosed with pcos...so I am seeking help with that. It is tough, but all you can do is work closely with your Doctors, eat well and do your best. I was SO nervous about the baby's health, but they are resilient and eating and exercise go along way. Good Luck!

Steph :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.