Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kribou

not pregnant but trying, and have questions

Jan B
Don't wanna put a downer on things, but are you not worried that you will pass this nightmare illness which is diabetes and can be a severe disability on to your children?

peace

Rich

It's not only diabetes that may be passed on. The possibility of other defects (heart, etc.) is a little higher too. Just the way it is. Since my little brother was adopted, the idea of adoption always stands out to me. I still understand a woman (and man) wanting their "own" children. What bothers me is how hard it can be to adopt children if your health isn't perfect.

KCP

Yea, im well aware of the risks for a diabetic to have children naturally, but thats why I am doing everything in my power o ensure my health is as perfect as I can get it. Im not pg yet, but i want to be and I know that if i want a healthy child, i need to be in tip top shape myself.

Just because i have diabetes it does not mean i cant do things that people without diabetes do. They have just as many risks and as long i get healthy i can have a good pregnancy and a healthy baby, just like them

Jan B
Yea, im well aware of the risks for a diabetic to have children naturally, but thats why I am doing everything in my power o ensure my health is as perfect as I can get it. Im not pg yet, but i want to be and I know that if i want a healthy child, i need to be in tip top shape myself.

Just because i have diabetes it does not mean i cant do things that people without diabetes do. They have just as many risks and as long i get healthy i can have a good pregnancy and a healthy baby, just like them

I have confidence you will do well, and your eventual child will be extremely loved and appreciated! Diabetes has been a blessing in my life & I hope you feel the same way. ;)

KCP

aww, my diabetes has been hated at times, but its starting to be looked at as something that is a blessing. Without it, who knows how unhealthy i would be as i wouldnt have to worry about my health!!

So Sarah91: have you looked at your CGMS results yet? :D

sarah91

Hi again Yes I've had my results and am going to hospital tomorrow (tues) to see the consultant to see what advice he has and what action to take next. It appears from the results that I am not having hypos in the night but am having something called dawn stress. I'd not heard of this before but apparantly at about 5am in the morning by body decides to give me a sugar boost all by itself to prepare me for the day ahead. It's very nice of my body to do that but not very good being a diabetic! I have to be different !!!

I discussed the pump with the nurse and think this is going to be the best treatment for me to get my hba1c down to an acceptable level for me to start the fertility treatment.

Whats new with you?

sarah91

Hi there. Have just come back from the hospital and have come away a bit puzzled. Doc thinks that my problem lies with my lantus. From looking at the results of the sensor that my lantus is not lasting me through the night. I thought it was meant to last you the whole 24 hours but he said that some people, like myself use up the lantus very quickly a nd that by 4 - 5am I have used mine up, hence the higher sugar levels when I wake up. He has advised me to up my novorapid dose by 2 units in the morning and see what effect that has on my sugar levels.

Also because of my fertility problems the progesterone tablets which I have been taking to make me have a period have made my sugar levels go bananas and my HBA1C level has now gone up to 9!

I am soooo frustrated, though he did apologise because he said the HBA1C level increasing was because of the tablets, not because of something I have done which is a relief.

Overall he was quite happy with the sensor results as they were consistent in their peaks and falls which makes it a bit easier to diagnose a solution.

Another thing that baffled him was the fact that although I am on a high doseage of metformin my periods have not returned!!

Back in 2 weeks to see how increasing the novorapid in the morning has improved (I hope) my sugar levels.

WHY IS EVERYTHING ALWAYS SOOO COMPLICATED?????

steph1

Hey Sarah,

I can definitely relate and empathize!

Before seeing my Obstetrician about getting pregnant, I had an A1C of 7.1, but he still gave me the go-ahead. I was SO nervous and freaked out about everything. I had switched to Lantus to get pregnant, which had resulted in gaining 10 lbs. Fortunately, it did not take long to become pregnant and the whole experience was definitely terrifying. I constantly was low, especially at night....and then very high. I saw the Endocrinologst every week and got ultra sounds all the time.

During the pregnancy, I gained weight very quickly and noticed that I was losing my hair...and I was horrified. During the entire pregnancy, I actually gained 40 lnbs. with exercise and a "pretty good" diet (you definitely can't be good all the time being pregnant)....which I thought was a lot (since I am a small person).

And then the "big" day came and I was overcome with emotion...especially worrying that the baby would get diabetes. Fortunately, I gave birth (naturally) to a 8 lb. 3 ounce girl...who is "perfect"! It was the hardest and most rewarding journey I can ever describe. I had no issues at all with anything...except some difficult levels. But even after the baby, my A1C was 7.0

Now, after breastfeeding and trying to do anything possible to lose the weight, and only successfully losing 35 lbs. after 8 lbs. with extensive dieting and exercise, I have just also found out I have PCOS (and probably always did).

My only advice for you is to lose as much weight before the pregnancy as possible and try Metformin to lose weight (if possible). That way the symptoms of PCOS will diminish and getting pregnant will obviously get easier. I'd be glad to give you any advice you need during the pregnancy...just let me know if I can help. And Good Luck! There is lots of hope, so don't worry :)

Steph

sarah91

Hi Steph

Many thanks for your advice. It's so hard to find people in the same situation as myself. You are so lucky to have a beautiful baby girl.

I have been trying to get pregnant now for the last 4 years after having a stillborn baby girl we called Abigail in December 2003. This was not due to my diabetes but just one of those unfortunate things. Since then my periods have completely stopped and I was diagnosed with PCOS. I have been on Metformin for the last 3 years and have lost about 2 stone. At 5ft 9" and 11 stone I and my docs are now happy with my weight but still have no periods. I have been on various types of medication but to no avail.

2 weeks ago I visited a private clinic to discuss IVF treatment. They are happy to treat me and it is such a relief that there is hope. I feel the nhs in the UK have let me down. It's as if they don't know what to do with me. I am much happier and my blood sugars have improved, probably because I am not as stressed now.

Will let you know how I get on.

loohotel
Hidden

Îáðàùàþñü ê àäìèíèñòðàöèè Diabetesforums.com

Åñëè Âû õîòèòå îáìåíÿòüñÿ áàííåðàìè èëè òåêñòîâûìè ññûëêàìè , õî÷ó ÷òîáû îíè áûëè â ýòîì ðàçäåëå - ýòîò

Íàø ñàéò [/url]

íà ýòîò ôîðóì î Àäëåðå çàõîäÿò áîëåå 150 ÷åëîâåê, (ñàéò áóäåò ðàçâèâàòüñÿ ê èþíþ ïëàíèðóåì äîñòèãíóò îòìåòêè â 500 óíèêàëüíûõ ïîñåòèòåëåé â ñóòêè)

âàðèàíòû áàííåðîâ è êíîïîê

êîíòàêòû info(ñîáàêà)traveladler.ru

p/s

èçâèíèòå åñëè òåìà íå êîððêåòíà

Ategeler

I have a friend that is currently in the same situation as you. She has had a lot of luck with the Metiformin but is concerned that in the USA- it is not recommended to take during pregnancy. Have you had your FSH levels checked to see where you are ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.