Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tamarante

Not My Daughter Too

Tamarante

My grandmother decided to test my daughter's sugar one day last week and it was 117. Yesterday it was 119 and this morning it was 123 which was tested by my husband. :( Does this mean she's developing Diabetes? I have an appointment setup for a urine test for her this Saturday and I'm hoping for the best of course. These tests were taken before she's eaten. She has a history of craving sugar and hiding candy and cakes and what not. She spends her money at the candy store before and after school...we started taking the money away end of last school year because it was getting out of hand. She's 12 years old and I'm scared.

My husband already has Diabetic issues of his own and now my daughter could possibly have diabetes too. :(

Any comments are welcome.

RobiJo

I suppose as a fasting number that is a bit abnormal. I'm not sure where the line is. I'm curious...you say she loves her sweets, is she overweight? What is her activity level?

I'm a teacher as well as a Type 1. Schools in general are seeing more and more kids becoming Type 2. Getting her more active and cutting some of those sweets may be all she needs. You are doing the right thing by getting her to a doc. Though I'm curious about a urine test...I thought those were old and out dated. More likely they'll test her A1C and fasting glucose.

Her numbers are not high enough to make me think she is type 1.

cheryl

Occasionally my second son will have a higer bg in the morning occasionally as I test him here and there he is in the 90's usually or the 80's, I don't know whether I would worry about it so much meter have a 15% variable rate too....Plus if your daughter is 12 hormones can be playing a big factor on bg's too....

But it is always a good call to check it out with the dr to make sure....

I hope she is ok..

Cheryl

londonlady

Hi Tamarante,

I'm sorry you are having this worry at the moment. I think getting your daughter checked out is defintely the best way forward for you all. Knowing one way or the other is better than the uncertainty. I do understand how difficult this must be for you. My 12 yr old daughter was dx with type 1 last week. She was symptomatic for about 10 days, but I did get a random high reading several months ago. She had eaten a lot of sweets at the time. I'm not wanting to scare you...the chances are your daughter is fine, but after my recent experience, I can say that the certainty of knowing is a better place to be than where we were in the days beforehand.

Let us know how you go.

LL

shockme

don't bother w/ the urine test. have her fast a minimum of 8 hrs and get an fbs done and also an a1c.......good luck. let us know...trish

Tamarante

Thanks everyone!

I had called the doctor's office earlier this week and they said that they will do a urine test to find out if she has diabetes. I figured since she was a child that was OK. I had no idea that was outdated. I will go in there with the expectation that they will test in other ways as well.

She is a very active child, but she is overweight. She's 5'6, 200lbs. She's not a lazy girl. She just loves to eat sweets and she hides it from us. After school she could be getting snacks, but I wouldn't know. My grandmother watches her after school until I go to pick her up so she's been watching her diet. At home, we don't do snacks or anything with sugar because of DH. She did take a box of cake mix and swallowed that down...hid the box in her room. I thought that was odd. Cake mix? Anyhow, I'm worried.

I shall have an update soon.

Thanks again!

princesslinda

Please be sure and keep us updated on her doctor visit. Hopefully if anything is going on, you've caught it in time. Also, it would be good if you could get her involved in some after school activity where she could be more active and get some of her weight off. I know that's hard to juggle when you've got a lot on your plate, but I hate to see someone that young struggle with weight, esp. with such a strong family history of diabetes.

Dawn

Although this is scary - you are on the right track in getting her checked out immediately. Have you tested her other times as well or just fasting?

Keep us posted.

Dawn

Tamarante

Sorry for the delay. I called the doctor and he said her sugar was normal...92. Not sure what that means, but he says "normal". I still test her every other day and I get readings over 115 each time. They took a blood test instead of the urine.

notme

Hi Tamarante, You meter could vary from the lab tests a bit, so I would trust your lab unless she starts showing signs of diabetes. I think at this point I am more concerned about her eating habits. Eating a box of cake mix leads me to believe she should go back to the doctor. She may have an eating disorder or some other physiological reason for her sugar craving. Children do crave sugar and foods that are bad for them but, I think your daughter is showing signs of a bigger problem.

I am glad you are watching so closely. At twelve years old, your daughter is just entering puberty. Her weight could balloon from the 200 pounds she is now carrying. Not only could she suffer severe health problems, but the phsychological problems of a teenage girl being so grossly overweight might be very difficult in the near future.

Cyborg

The fasting bg value was the key. Non-diabetics can have bg values up to 160 or slightly higher after a meal... Glad to hear she isn't joining our "club".

Funnygrl
The fasting bg value was the key. Non-diabetics can have bg values up to 160 or slightly higher after a meal... Glad to hear she isn't joining our "club".

Eh, here's one thing I always disagree with. I really don't believe people that are going past 160 post prandially are going to stay non-diabetic very long. I just don't buy that that's normal. The highest I've ever seen a family member is 120. I also don't believe in fasting bg as the gold standard. When I was first diagnosed I was having fasting bgs in the 80s but shooting up to 400 post prandially.

That being said, it does sound like your daughter is in the clear for now. However, I'd be concerned with that weight.

cheryl
Eh, here's one thing I always disagree with. I really don't believe people that are going past 160 post prandially are going to stay non-diabetic very long. I just don't buy that that's normal. The highest I've ever seen a family member is 120. I also don't believe in fasting bg as the gold standard. When I was first diagnosed I was having fasting bgs in the 80s but shooting up to 400 post prandially.

That being said, it does sound like your daughter is in the clear for now. However, I'd be concerned with that weight.

I dunno how long after a meal, I test most of the family about 30-45 minutes to an hour and they can still be high in the 160's after that first hour of eating though and by hour 2 they are within the 90's again does this mean all 8 people in my house will have diabetes I don't think so.....

Cheryl

Alice

Remember that "eating sugar" doesn't directly cause diabetes (old wives tale) but the added weight of those empty calories can contribute to Type 2 diagnosis.

Eating any food and gaining excess fat is what starts (some) people on the metabolic roller coaster of Type 2. It's not a sugar thing. (relating to the candy she is craving)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.