Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ctskierguy

VT Meet & Ski

Evermont
Now that the Tahoe Ski and Greet is underway, let's not forget about VT this winter.

I'm thinking that the first weekend in February could work. If not, let's work out a date that will.

Mike

I had a big day up at Smuggs today. It was cold but nice. I found some fresh powder on Madonna. My buddy bailed at noon but I ran into a couple other friends and rode the rest of the day. Blue skies and snow covered spruce ruled the day.

Oh yeah - BIG STORM on the way, 2 feet forecast.

I get a whole new batch of vacation days at new years!

ctskierguy

I got iced in today....nothing here but a few inches of snow topped with a half an inch of solid ice...AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

I'm quitting my job and moving to the mountains!

Mike

Jan B
Hey Jan, I gotcha beat. We can get on the bunny hill and have a blast. No worries. I would love to dust off my skiis and give it a go. If it doesn't work, there are great places up there to sit and have a nice hot toddy and visit. Then we will pack it up and head to Napa Valley for some wine tasting and relaxation. We could all go together on a limo and not worry about drinking and driving. And.....you get door to door service!

I can't wait Nancy! I can't get to the mini-session in VT, but Tahoe, here I come . . . . not sure when yet of course, but I'll do everything in my power to be there.

Evermont
After the holidays we need to decide which mountain we want to have our mini meet and ski at. Suggestions anyone?

Mike

I was on the lift at 8:30 this morning. My local place is 100% open today, the first day of winter. It was fantastic! Groomers, deep powder, terrain parks, glades - all good!

So I'm a northern Vermonter I have 6 or more great choices within 1 hours drive. I'd have to drive past a dozen great places to get to the southern slopes so it doesn't happen much. But I'm happy to do it for a get together, I just can't recommend anyplace. On the upside I'm not picky - anything is fine for me.

ctskierguy

I took friday off from work and skied at Okemo. It was 100% open and the conditions were beautiful. Especially when you consider that the season has barely started.

I need to find a job in the Burlington VT area. Stowe is calling my name.

Mike

Evermont

We are having a great season so far. This weekend temps will be in the 40's - spring skiing in January! My son and his gal are coming up from Boston the following weekend for a couple days on the slopes. I bet we get more snow by then too. We're like 3 years overdue for a good year so it's about time!

40.jpg

Evermont

Well, it got sketchy here for almost a month but THE SNOW IS BACK! NPR said more snow fell to the south of Burlington. I shoveled a foot this morning - that means 18-24" likely in the hills. Forecast for snow through the next 6 days. I'm going up Saturday - 70% chance of snow and temp 33F.

Maybe we should sketch out a date for this "Meet and Ski". Is a Saturday good for this type of thing?

IMG_1667_2.jpg

morrisma

Vermont is a LITTLE too far but I have the Poconos around 2 hours away. I miss skiing since my son aged out of Boy Scouts. That was a guaranteed killer weekend every year.

Mike

HelenM

I'm lost, its as if you're speaking a different language! Where are VT, CT, CAetc etc I have heard of Whistler and Lake Tahoe.

I've just spent a week in the Pyrenees, more risky as to snow conditions than the Alps but snowed on 2 days , otherwise blue skies and high daytime temperatures of 16C. Since it wasn't school holidays there were uncrowded slopes Good wine and good food for apres ski. Anyone want a long trip?

Sunday off for the day to Le Lioran in the Massif Central, tiny resort and not snow sure, but fine at the moment.

Happy skiing

Evermont
I'm lost, its as if you're speaking a different language! Where are VT, CT, CAetc...

Sorry, those are two-letter state codes based on the US Postal service (here's a list) VT=Vermont, CT=Connecticut, CA=California, etc.

I'll snowboard EU someday...

geegies

So, guys- did it happen? Did you go skiing? I just found this thread. I live in Burlington, and would love it if you got together again! I don't know many diabetics here, and it would be awesome to meet and greet!

Evermont
So, guys- did it happen? Did you go skiing? I just found this thread. I live in Burlington, and would love it if you got together again! I don't know many diabetics here, and it would be awesome to meet and greet!

Hi - welcome to DF! No - it hasn't happened (yet). My gear is all tuned up but the forecast isn't very promising :( I guess we'll have to wait for December.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.