Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lisa821

Is insulin making my hair fall out?

lisa821

This is a weird one. When I first started taking insulin shots in 1977, my hair fell out. Not all of it, but a lot of it. I was 13 at the time. I suppose it was a reaction to stress, and after a while the hair grew back in.

About three years ago I 1) stopped eating meat, 2) turned 40, and 3) started on Novolog--I think. I'm not 100% sure of the date, but it seems about right.

My hair's been either breaking off or falling out for the last three years. It could be hormonal; it could be less protein in my diet, but I keep an eye on that and seem to get plenty via beans/soy, fish, dairy, and supplements. Could the Novolog be connected? I don't have a lot of stress, and exercise daily. I've been on a pump for the last 8 years.

Anybody have any ideas? Anybody else experiencing this, too? Is this just some kind of common midlife thing for women or what? I'm not horribly worried about it, since the hair grows back in (curly!) but it's just kind of freaking me out a little. And I'm tired of unclogging the shower drain.

notme

It's not just you. I have had the same issue in the past and hopefully it won't come back. I started NPH and Reg in 1986. By the time 1993 rolled around I had gone from very very (annoyingly thick) hair to a thin head of hair. Since I got better control of diabetes (pump), my hair has grown back somewhat. I also started using Biolage Shampoo with protein and cut out the heavy blow drying. I don't think I will ever have the head of hair I had in my 20's, but then who does? I think menopause is also a contributer to hair loss.

:( hmmm even the little smileys have no hair.

palefacegirl03

I loose alot of hair too. I always had straight hair, after my daughter was born, I had alot of problems with it breaking and then it turned curly.

It is healthy now, I am not loosing as much, so I dont know what is going on.

princesslinda

So many things can contribute to hair loss: stress, hormones, heredity, thyroid, anemia, overprocessing....you should probably make an appt with a dermatologist who will take an extensive history and draw blood work to check ferritin (iron), hormones and thyroid. There are treatments that can stabilize the problem, and if its hormonal/thyroid related, usually it will improve once the problem is corrected.

lisa821

...But you know, it could very well be hormone-related. I've probably gained 15 pounds in the last few years despite a decent diet and exercise program. Ayiyi... what a shock turning 40 can be.

NoraWI

If you no longer eat meat, you could be lacking in thiamine, a B vitamin. Try taking the supplement benfotiamine. There was a recent study undertaken in the University of Warwick that showed that most diabetics (76% of T1s and 75% of T2) are lacking in thiamine. Read about this study at

Researchers find vitamin B1 deficiency key to vascular problems for diabetic patients

Biotin could help. Soy has phytoestrogens which could cause a problem if consumed in excess. I suspect that your hair loss is diet related and has nothing to do with the use of Novolog.

Jak

How are your bg levels? When I was a teenager and my bg's were not in good control, my hair got quite thin. Once I took charge of my bg's, my hair came in thicker again and has remained so ever since.

Since type 1's are more prone to autoimmune diseases, you may want to get checked for alopecia. It is an autoimmune condition that causes hair to fall out.

There is a lot of autoimmunity in my family. My niece does not have diabetes, but she has alopecia. Here's manifested as a general thinning of hair all over her scalp, but there are other forms of it.

Jak

Jill-O

I just have naturally thin hair, and the texture of it is very fine as well. My mom and grandmother both have very fine / thin hair, too. I just got so tired of spending an hour a day trying to make my hair look like I wanted it to (and it never could). I started wearing wigs about 2 years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did. They look natural and I can be ready to leave the house -- and with gorgeous hair -- in about 20 minutes including a shower and makeup :)

lisa821

Thanks, everyone! I think I'm going to try Biotin and Benfotiamine, and also the Biolage shampoo. Should I try one supplement at a time, or would both be okay? Also, any recommendations on dosages? I've read up to 3 mg daily for Biotin (could that have been a typo?) and 150 mg daily for Benfotiamine.

bjphilly

I read somewhere that Diabetes does effect our hair and hair loss...sorry I tried to find information but couldn't. It could be a combination of body changing and Diabetes. Although I'm older then you I noticed I had some hair loss when I turned 60.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.