Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glot

Bread Machine Low Carb Breads

Glot

These recipes are for a 1 pound bread machine. I use these recipes all the time. I also add 1/2 tsp sugar to help the bread to rise better. The sugar is totally consumed by the yeast and does not contribute to the carb count. So here are my favorite recipes that I bake all the time:

Whole Wheat Bread

1/2 cup warm water

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 tablespoon soft butter

1 egg

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup vital wheat gluten

2 tablespoons raw wheat germ

2 tablespoons wheat bran

1/4 cup psyllium husks unflavored ( I get this at the health food store)

1/2 cup oat flour

1/2 cup vanilla-flavored whey protein powder ( I get this at WalMart or at the health food store)

2 teaspoons yeast

1/2 tsp sugar to feed the yeast so the bread will rise better.

Put the indredients in your bread machine in the order given and run the machine . I like to use the whole wheat program cycle.

Yield: About 10 slices, each with 13 grams of carbs and 7.5 grams of fiber for a total of 5.5 grams of usable carbs and 19 grams of protein.

Mom's Oatmeal Molasses Bread

1/4 cup rolled oats

2/3 cup boiling water

1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses

1 tablespoon splenda

1 tablespoon soft butter

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup grouond almonds ( you can use soy flour instead if you like)

1/4 cup vanilla-flavored whey protein powder

2 tablespoons water

2 teaspoons yeast

1/2 tsp. sugar to feed the yeast so the bread will rise better

Put the rolled oats and wheat germ in the bread case of your bread machine. Pur the boiling water over them, and let them sit for at least 15 minutes.

Add everyting else in the order given and run the machine,

Yield: 8 slices, each with 5.5 grams of carb and 0.5 gram of fiber, for a total of 5 grams of usable carbs and 25 grams of protein.

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water

1/4 cup oat bran

1/2 cup ground almonds( you can use soy flour instead)

1/3 cup vainlla-flavored whey protein powder

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten

1/4 cup splenda

1 tablespoons oil

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons yeast

1/2 tsp sugar to feed the yeast so the bread will rise better

2 tablespoons raisins, each snipped in half

Put the ingreadients in your bread machine in order given and run the machine.

Yield: 12 slices,each with 6 grams of carbs and 0.6 grams of fiber, for a total of 5.4 grams of usable carbs and 19 grams of protein.

White Bread

( I use this recipe quite often for it is firm, fine texture. It looks like a medium colored wheat bread)

1 cup water

1/4 cup oat bran ( I have also used wheat bran)\

2 tablespoons psyllium husks unflavored

1/2 cup vanilla-flavored whey protein powder

1/3 cup rice protein powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon oil

1 tablespoon splenda

2 teaspoon yeast

Put the ingredients in your bread machine in the order given and run the machine.

Yield: About 10 slices, each with 5 grams of carb. and 1 gram of fiber for a total of 4 grams of usable carbs and 24 grams of protein.

Hope that you enjoy these recipes as I do.

Gloria

xMenace

I just got a bread machine. I've been reading through recipes. There's nothing like learning about what's in breads than trying to make it. I've discovered that most recipes include white flour including whole wheat & multigrain breads. My wife says this is so the yeast has somethng to work on and make it rise. No wonder I find all these browish breads in the stores almost as bad as white bread :( This leads me to some questions:

- is this sugar added above enough for these standard recipes? Can I add the sugar and substitute whole wheat flour for white without producing bricks?

- what is this wheat gluten stuff in the recipes above? What's the carb content?

slipperyelm

xMenace, white flour is added to whole wheat bread and mulitgrain breads to make it all hold together and not to simply crumble apart. And gluten is added for the same reason. Gluten is the natural, stretchy protein in wheat that binds the bread together. You could think of it as the rubbery glue that makes the bread soft and hold together instead of crumbly like a dry cookie.

Gluten particles are more "exposed" and available in very finely ground wheat, which is what white flour is--very finely ground wheat that's been bleached. Those gluten particles stick to each other as the bread is kneaded, like tiny ribber bands being stretched throughout the dough. Then, when it is cooked, those fibers stretch in the heat, making room for the expansion of bubbles of carbon-dioxide that have been released by the yeast as they eat the sugars in the flour. Those expanded bubbles are what make your bread light instead of a dense paste or hard brick!

If you want to understand how all this works, I really recommend making bread by hand a few times so you can see and feel the transformations--rather than having them go on in your bread maker.

You generally cannot make whole wheat bread without adding either some white flour or some gluten. As you say, it will come out like bricks. (Um, there are breads that are brick-ish yet still delicious, but theses are not used they same way USAmericans typically use bread.)

In the last three years there has been a widely planted red wheat that does have a high enough gluten content to be made into bread without addition of white flour. I have not seen this red wheat flour on the market for home bakers; I have the impression that it is all being bought up by the humongous bakeries like Continental- Wonder Bread, who like the wheat because they can make a whole grain bread that comes out as light and fluffy as the typical American white bread. Therefore they can sell it to people who think they should eat whole grain for health yet who really only like that nasty (sorry, personal opinion) white Wonder Bread. But anyway, I haven't seen the red wheat flour in markets, but the internet is a wonderful thing, eh? I'm guessing that red wheat ground that finely would raise your BG just about like white flour would anyhow.

xMenace

So how can I make D friendly bread that tastes good? What if I add a bunch of seeds? From what I know as a D, adding complex foods to non can help things. I find the flax bread I buy at the store very friendly, and it's full of seeds.

****. Enjoying bread and being D really sucks. :(

grace girl

I've been using my bread machine to make all of our bread for about 4 months now. I took a basic white bread recipe, cut the white bread flour in half and added half whole wheat flour, and I use honey measure for measure instead of sugar.

It makes an outstanding loaf of bread, and I've weighed a slice and eaten it with a bolus based on the generic 15 carbs per ounce of bread...eating nothing else, and I get no spikes from this bread like I do from store-bought whole wheat.

I really want to learn more and more about bread making and get more creative with it.

But at this point I don't think I'll buy another loaf of pre-made bread again.

If anyone is interested, here is the recipe.

1 1/2 teaspoons yeast

1 1/2 cup white bread flour

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

2 Tablespoons honey

3 Tablespoons butter

1 cup hot water

Add ingredients according to your bread machines directions. Bake on light if that option is available.

Makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf.

tanyatype1

I wonder if you can just eat your bread and drink a glass of fibre-full Metamucil with it? I'm not joking! My hubby drinks the stuff all the time and I've wondered before if drinking it with a higher carb/low GI meal would help slow the digestion of the carbs in the meal. Metamucil is so full of fibre, we should probably all be drinking it anyway!:)

xMenace

I made this for my second batch, and it's awesome! It's been very friendly for me. Lots of other recipes on the site.

Recipe Details - Robin Hood

recipetitle_127.gif

Take a break from ordinary breakfast fare with a delicious loaf of our Robin Hood Oatmeal Raisin Bread Machine Bread.

This nutritious recipe is filled with the wholesome goodness of rolled oats, plump juicy raisins, brown sugar and just a hint of cinnamon. Be sure to use Robin Hood Best For Bread White and Whole Wheat Flour for a loaf that rises higher than any other.

Oatmeal Raisin Bread Machine Bread is especially nice toasted and spread with butter and jam. Simply add the ingredients to your bread machine and let the baking begin.

LARGE LOAF (1 1/2 lb/3 cup or 2 lb/4 cup machine)

1 1/3 cups water 325 mL

2 tbsp margarine 30 mL

1 1/2 cups ROBIN HOOD Best For Bread Homestyle White Flour 375 mL

1 1/2 cups ROBIN HOOD Best For Bread Whole Wheat Flour 375 mL

2/3 cup ROBIN HOOD® or OLD MILL® Oats 150 mL

2 tbsp brown sugar, packed 30 mL

1 tsp salt 5 mL

1 tsp cinnamon 5 mL

2 tsp bread machine yeast 10 mL

3/4 cup raisins 175 mL

majomor
These recipes are for a 1 pound bread machine. I use these recipes all the time. I also add 1/2 tsp sugar to help the bread to rise better. The sugar is totally consumed by the yeast and does not contribute to the carb count. So here are my favorite recipes that I bake all the time:

Whole Wheat Bread

1/2 cup warm water

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 tablespoon soft butter

1 egg

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons wheat bran

1/4 cup psyllium husks unflavored ( I get this at the health food store)

1/2 cup oat flour

1/2 cup vanilla-flavored whey protein powder ( I get this at WalMart or at the health food store)

2 teaspoons yeast

Put the indredients in your bread machine in the order given and run the machine . I like to use the whole wheat program cycle.

Yield: About 10 slices, each with 13 grams of carbs and 7.5 grams of fiber for a total of 5.5 grams of usable carbs and 19 grams of protein.

Mom's Oatmeal Molasses Bread

1/4 cup rolled oats

2/3 cup boiling water

1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses

1 tablespoon splenda

1 tablespoon soft butter

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup grouond almonds ( you can use soy flour instead if you like)

1/4 cup vanilla-flavored whey protein powder

2 tablespoons water

2 teaspoons yeast

1/2 tsp. sugar to feed the yeast so the bread will rise better

Put the rolled oats and wheat germ in the bread case of your bread machine. Pur the boiling water over them, and let them sit for at least 15 minutes.

Add everyting else in the order given and run the machine,

Yield: 8 slices, each with 5.5 grams of carb and 0.5 gram of fiber, for a total of 5 grams of usable carbs and 25 grams of protein.

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water

1/4 cup oat bran

1/2 cup ground almonds( you can use soy flour instead)

1/3 cup vainlla-flavored whey protein powder

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten

1/4 cup splenda

1 tablespoons oil

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons yeast

1/2 tsp sugar to feed the yeast so the bread will rise better

2 tablespoons raisins, each snipped in half

Put the ingreadients in your bread machine in order given and run the machine.

Yield: 12 slices,each with 6 grams of carbs and 0.6 grams of fiber, for a total of 5.4 grams of usable carbs and 19 grams of protein.

White Bread

( I use this recipe quite often for it is firm, fine texture. It looks like a medium colored wheat bread)

1 cup water

1/4 cup oat bran ( I have also used wheat bran)\

2 tablespoons psyllium husks unflavored

1/2 cup vanilla-flavored whey protein powder

1/3 cup rice protein powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon oil

1 tablespoon splenda

2 teaspoon yeast

Put the ingredients in your bread machine in the order given and run the machine.

Yield: About 10 slices, each with 5 grams of carb. and 1 gram of fiber for a total of 4 grams of usable carbs and 24 grams of protein.

Hope that you enjoy these recipes as I do.

Gloria

Hi I am new, I tried the cinnamon raisin bread using a bread maker i borowwed from a friend to experiment.

It started to make on the baking cycle, but it never did mix. I wonder what I did wrong...it is a sunbeam machine. Should I have just put it straight on the dough cycle, ( in this machine runs for 1hr 30 mins) then put in oans and let rise out side of machine?....also I used Rapid rise yeast.....thanks and help?

majomor
Hi I am new, I tried the cinnamon raisin bread using a bread maker i borowwed from a friend to experiment.

It started to make on the baking cycle, but it never did mix. I wonder what I did wrong...it is a sunbeam machine. Should I have just put it straight on the dough cycle, ( in this machine runs for 1hr 30 mins) then put in oans and let rise out side of machine?....also I used Rapid rise yeast.....thanks and help?

sorry fo rthe spelling errors, too in a hurry to get to bed after I had to empty the machine.....thanks again .

Jeannine

Hi. I really love rye bread and I'm thinking about getting a bread machine if I can get a low carb recipe. Do any of you know one? The store brand makes my blood spike even if I only have half a piece.

Thank you in advance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.