Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shockme

zocor reduces metabolic markers

JJM335

So the "side-effects-free" drug, that according to many in the medical profession should be prescribed to ALL diabetics, regardless of their cholesterol numbers, causes reduced insulin-sensitivity.

Hey, that's just what we all need!

shockme

the new study contradicts the old study,which states that zocor reduces insulin sensitivity...now they say it's good for lowering insulin resistance....

BlueSky

The most interesting finding was this :

Placebo was associated with a significant reduction (P<0.05) reduction in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, but did not significantly reduce plasma adiponectin levels or insulin sensitivity.

If I understand this correctly, it means you can reduce your cholesterol if believe that what you are doing will have that effect. And there are no side effects with this mind-over-matter treatment! The mind boggles.

Alice

I would think they are talking about natural insulin produced by the pancreas...not injected? These reports are never clear on what exactly was studied.

BlueSky

I think we must assume that the study was done on non-diabetics. So blood glucose would have been normal. They most probably measured insulin levels as a proxy for insulin resistance. The higher the insulin level, the greater the insulin resistance.

Type1er

Am I reading it correctly that Zocor (simvastin) reduces insulin sensitivity? Isn't that the same as increasing insulin resistance?

I'm on simvastin and using CGMS (Dexcom), and it appears that my glucose levels go up about 40-50 points in the 1-2 hours after I take it (at bedtime). I was wondering if it was just my imagination, but it seems like this study could provide an expanation (lower insulin sensitivity --> higher blood glucose).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Puppypants
Am I reading it correctly that Zocor (simvastin) reduces insulin sensitivity? Isn't that the same as increasing insulin resistance?

I'm on simvastin and using CGMS (Dexcom), and it appears that my glucose levels go up about 40-50 points in the 1-2 hours after I take it (at bedtime). I was wondering if it was just my imagination, but it seems like this study could provide an expanation (lower insulin sensitivity --> higher blood glucose).

Has anyone else noticed this?

That's how I read it too - my first thought was that it increased insulin resistance. I thought it was just me!

REDLAN

this is a very strange article...

they are saying that zoccor reduces metabolic markers, which sounds like a good thing. Until you read that the markers are adiponectin levels and insulin sensitivity.

- adiponectin is a regulatory hormone produced by fat cells - adiponectin mobilises fat and decreases insulin resistance. Adiponectin appears to regulate body weight (more specifically fat mass)

let's make a prediction...

if we produce a drug that lowers adiponectin levels, a side effect should be weight gain. (as well as increased insulin resistance).

now go to google and type in statins and weight gain...

(I've already done it, and there are a lot of links with people on it complaining about weight gain)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.