Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Olidus

BG Question - MAKING LIFE!

Olidus

Hi All,

So my question for today is -

My wife is about to push out a baby from her private part.

LIKE ANY DAY NOW! Actual Due Date is Nov 28th - but she has already started to dialate.

This is our 1st - we know its a boy. .. . (or a girl with 3 legs).

Anyway - it probably wont - but being a 1st time father and rather still newb to the D - how will this all affect my BG?

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

/action listens with open ears!/Eyes!

mzteacher

congratulations and best wishes with this blessed event!! you are about to embark on such a wondrous journey...enjoy every moment!!

susan

Scratch

Good luck.

Usually for me in times of excitement and stress, I'll see my blood sugars elevating. Just try to test when you can and stay on top of things as best you can.

tanyatype1

Hahahahahaha! You just said that your wife is going to PUSH A BABY OUT OF HER PRIVATE PART ~ and you're worried about how this is going to affect YOU???? OMG, that is so funny! (You'll be fine!) Are you gonna cut the cord?

Chris Graham

Congrats on the baby! I am pretty new to D and had a baby almost 5 months ago. If I can handle, you can handle it! Just remember to test and eat. Make it a priority...your baby and wife need you to be healthy and safe. Letting yourself run a LITTLE on the high side for a week or two might not be a bad idea.

Olidus
Hahahahahaha! You just said that your wife is going to PUSH A BABY OUT OF HER PRIVATE PART ~ and you're worried about how this is going to affect YOU???? OMG, that is so funny! (You'll be fine!) Are you gonna cut the cord?

That all depends on how things go down - so many thing to take into factor.

- If I do look at the so call "miracle of birth"

- Cause if I do then I am pretty sure that I will pass out.

So if I don't pass out or if I do and come to when its time - I will be all about cutting the cord, and setting my future son free.

Its really going to happen.

I can't wait to turn him into a big brother.;)

Keezheekoni

First baby and dilating already is actually quite normal. It could still be a few weeks, unfortunately!

You don't actually have to watch the baby coming out. In fact, most dad's will stay up at the head of the bed with mama and "coach" her through pushing and breathing. Be forewarned, she may tell you to shut the **** up! Oh yeah, start working out your hand by squeezing it in a vice for an hour a day. :)

Your bg may go up with the stress of a new baby, but if you're anything like my husband, you'll sleep through the baby waking up at all hours and never know why your wife looks dead tired all the time... This is especially true if she plans on breastfeeding and never kicks you out of bed to make a bottle. :D

Olidus
First baby and dilating already is actually quite normal. It could still be a few weeks, unfortunately!

Well yes and no to that - I'm not sure if its a Canada thing or just the Province I am in - but The doctors here do not allow you to go past a week of your due date. Her due date is Nov 28th - a week past that and then they induce.

You don't actually have to watch the baby coming out. In fact, most dad's will stay up at the head of the bed with mama and "coach" her through pushing and breathing. Be forewarned, she may tell you to shut the **** up! Oh yeah, start working out your hand by squeezing it in a vice for an hour a day. :)

Easier said then done - she wants me to stay up but curiosity will and may get the better of me. If I do look its either going ot be the best or worst thing I ever do.

I think I'm gonna play it by ear. Thnx for the advice on the vice ;)

Evermont
...but being a 1st time father and rather still newb to the D - how will this all affect my BG?

Dude,

DO NOT EAT THE BABY! Your wife will be very upset with you. I'm not trying to dodge the question - I figure mostly protein and saturated fats, not too bad on the carbs even if there is an extra leg. Of course it's worse if you batter and fry for example but seriously: do not eat the baby.

Congrats by the way. Oh, and I don't have any placenta recipes - sorry. Man, those Canadian winters must be worse than I thought.

tanyatype1

I forgot to congratulate you Olidus! Very exciting time - enjoy every minute and take lots of pics! My first was 3 weeks early, my second was 2 weeks late, (induced) and my third came so quickly - delivered her in my bed! Yup, good times. :)

Gary_W

Congratulations :)

You've probably already done so, but ensure you have all your diabetes supplies packed in case of a long labour; she won't thank you for going hypo if you don't have snacks to hand. 43 hours my wife took with child #2.... I was completely wiped out and I wasn't doing much apart from hanging around and trying to be encouraging.

Children are great fun. The first few weeks are pretty tough whilst you adjust, but you will both sleep again. It just doesn't feel like it at first.

Olidus

This is great - learning all kinds on here and its all just not Diabetes related.

- Don't eat baby

- Bring/pack insulin (good call)

- Take lots of pics - (Will pack video cam and digi cam)

Thanks for all the advice - info.

I will keep you all updated on the situation.

Chris Graham

My husband was nervous about watching the birth. We agreed he would stay by my head. He wasn't even sure he could handle cutting the cord.

When the time came, it was all so natural...he wasn't uncomfortable at all. He saw everything and was really glad he did. He cut the cord and everything.

Do what you feel comfortable with, but you might be surprised just how cool it all is.

Keep us posted!!

Jan B
This is great - learning all kinds on here and its all just not Diabetes related.

- Don't eat baby

- Bring/pack insulin (good call)

- Take lots of pics - (Will pack video cam and digi cam)

Thanks for all the advice - info.

I will keep you all updated on the situation.

THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT LAUGH!

AND A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS . . . maybe a bit early, but for when it happens!

KnitLady

Congratulations! Having a baby is the most amazing experience.

I had a very long labor and my DH did go low at one point. We hired a doula (which I cannot recommend highly enough). My doula stayed with me while DH dealt with the low. Other than that, diabetes was not an issue.

We did save DS's cord blood with the hopes that it may be useful to someday cure diabetes.

Two bits of advice, go to bed early every night! You never know when you will suddenly need to get up and support your DW. And don't watch TV while she is in labor.

NoelD
Hi All,

So my question for today is -

My wife is about to push out a baby from her private part.

LIKE ANY DAY NOW! Actual Due Date is Nov 28th - but she has already started to dialate.

This is our 1st - we know its a boy. .. . (or a girl with 3 legs).

Anyway - it probably wont - but being a 1st time father and rather still newb to the D - how will this all affect my BG?

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

/action listens with open ears!/Eyes!

I'm in the same boat... Any day now...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.