Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kstreeter513

Pandora's Box

kstreeter513

Fellow type 1's. Am I the only diabetic out there that does not restrict his carbs?:confused: I hear all the time about how People with diabetes need to watch there carbs. Does this just hold water for type 2's. I generally stay in good control and am not overweight. I eat my carbs and do so with confidence. Don't get me wrong. It's not like I binge on 700 grams per day, but the recommended carbohydrate intake for a 2000 calorie diet is 300 grams/day. I use a pump, so, yes it is easier to dose for any number of carbs. If I do eat low carb however which I have tried only a few times. I am left feeling constantly worn out and fatigued. I think the media and popular fad diets like Atkin's, has given carbs a bad name. Carbohydrates are our friend. (complex carbs that is). And another thing CARBS DO NOT MAKE YOU FAT. TOO MANY CALORIES DO. I read an article just the other day that did a study and found that people lost more weight were able to keep it off by watching their fat intake than the group who resticted their carbohydrate intake. Okay, I'll get off my soap box now. But seriously, am I the only one who feels this way.

catgalla

I've been type 1 for 16 years now and I've never watched my carb intake especially since being on the pump. Sometimes too many carbs make you tired but I cannot live with my carbs. I'm a carboholic!! I just make sure I take the appropriate amount of insulin when I bolus. I am a little overweight but it's not because of carbs. It's due to having 2 children and then not watching my calories.

owlyn

Are you kidding? I shop at Carbs'R'Us! My favorite restaurant is Carbabas. My favorite drinks are carbonated. At home, my food goes into the carbowave oven before serving. And of course, we are all made of carbon anyway.

BTW, it's not calories that make you fat, it's insulin :)

glashalful

Well, there's a difference between "watching" and "restricting" carbs. I assume you're asking if we "restrict" them, since we all HAVE to "watch" them in order to correctly bolus, whether with the pump or MDI. I do not "restrict" my carbs at all, but when I'm in good control, you can bet your bottom dollar I "watch" every single one I eat!

Elizabeth

kstreeter513

Good point. There is a difference. I watch my carbs. Watch them go from my plate to my mouth. But I don't restrict them either, that's what I was wondering.

Olidus

I Heart Carbs,

I eat em, and counteract with insulin. The more carbs I eat - the more insulin I take. It’s a love hate relationship.

I love the carbs but hate to take insulin.

You do what you have to do to live.

Russyo

i've argued this with people aswell. Honestly if you didnt have diabetis and you produced insulin like your body is supposed to you wouldnt watch your carbs would you, NO. So why do it now. People think that taking insulin is the problem, its not, its the freakin answer. Diabetis just means that you natural insulin pump doesnt function so you have to manually inject your insulin.

When somone without "d" eats the body naturally adjust to what they ate, carbs or protein, whatever. We (being "d") just have to manually adjust our insulin when we inject. Thus, there is not difference and you dont have to restrict your carbs what-so-ever. Just make sure you're covered by your insulin appropriately and you're fine.

Many many many med school professor teach this in their classes but people still dont understand it. I had this conversation with my cousin this week at thanksgiving dinner. She actually had to back me up against my dad in the arguement. He's not "d" and tries to act like he knows what he's talking about.

Manually injecting insulin, only difference is in the enjection device. All you have to know right there. Either your pancrease(spelling) or a needle, both the same outcome, just a little more math to work out on the manual injection part. /thread.

Good question though, Im sure many people think this but dont want to ask with fear of people thinking badly of them for not restricting their carbs.

kstreeter513
i've argued this with people aswell. Honestly if you didnt have diabetis and you produced insulin like your body is supposed to you wouldnt watch your carbs would you, NO. So why do it now. People think that taking insulin is the problem, its not, its the freakin answer.

Couldn't agree with you more. Glad to see more carb happy people out there.:)

xMenace

Ummm, I do :eek: At least I try to. Carbs are largely responsible for sugar spikes, sugar spikes are responsible for ... you'll find out ;):evil:

Russyo

The carbs arent the issue, accounting for them is. They dont cause anything that wouldnt naturally happen. You just have to properly adjust to what you are/did eat.

shiftzor

I count carbs, but i dont "cap" my carbs and i am not overweight. if i play sport i take on more carbs and if i eat more then i take more insulin. I try to snack on things that dont effect my bg. I do tend to keep carb quantities at each meal similar, but thats due to lazyness of having to recalculate insulin quantity. Don't restrict carbs unless you are trying to loose weight, ie less carbs:less insulin. I think loosing weight is more than just "restricting" carbs though, there are lots of things that impact it eg fat/exercise/callories etc. Dieting minimum is 150g of carbs and a regular person has 300g of carbs, so im lead to believe. Good luck with the 'D'.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.