Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

matt_walker

Naggy Parents?

matt_walker

Alright, so this is really directed to the younger of the young adults. Like teenagers. Am I the only one who has very (I mean VERY) naggy parents when it comes to Diabetes? It's very stressful, and I personally think I could handle everything way better if they let me handle it myself.

Am I alone in this, or does other people have this problem?

xMenace

I agree Matt. I was dx'd at 14. I felt the same way then. It's your burden and you have to manage it. Have you talked to them about it? It's hard for us old people to let go. Our kids change so much and we usually don't recognize it until we're told or something unepected and often unwanted happens.

Of course it's much easier if you have ammunition. Are you doing the things you need to be doing such as testing, following a good diet, and exercising? Is your A1C good? Are your hypo's managed? Letting them know you have all these things under control will really help. And of course you know that freedom from parents is not the main goal, freedom from complications is. Not controlling things will catch up to you. She doesn't make exceptions.

Mich

Hi Matt,

I couldn't agree more with X. Show your folks you can do a more precise job than them and they will probably back off.

I was diagnosed at 12--that was 48 years ago for me. My mom still occasionally makes (smiling here) "suggestions" even though the diabetes of 1960 is NOTHING like the diabetes of today. At Thanksgiving, she even asked me if I had taken my insulin yet. I was just so quick with my pump, she hadn't noticed.

If you were diagnosed so young that your folks had to be in charge of you for any length of time, it's a hard thing for them to give it up. Time flies for parents and it's hard to realize you are becoming a young adult so quickly. (Not to mention, Diabetic Kids grow up a lot faster, in my opinion.)

Also, there is the mystery hormone in your brain that makes any parent statement sound like nagging starting at about age 12. Even things like "good morning" begin to have implications. Believe me, I've been on both sides!

Use humor, show them you know your stuff by offering proof like X-Menace said, and it will make your parents relax a bit.

Mich

xMenace

Believe it or not, us parents want our teens to show they can act like adults. I want to trust my 15yr old in every decision he makes. I really want him to talk to me. When he does, and he does once in awhile, it's a reminder to back away some more. We are on your side.

BTW, everyone on here is an adult to me, except for a couple that never seem to want to grow up ... ahem *cough* Toronto *cough*.

mikey38654
It's very stressful, and I personally think I could handle everything way better if they let me handle it myself.

Am I alone in this, or does other people have this problem?

YES! My mom will NOT let me do it on my own, and I'm 22! It bugs the living daylights out of me and I let her know it but she keeps going!!! I've even gone on trips (away from Her) and came back in better condition than when I left but she won't take that as "proof." Of course I am hard-headed and, when I was a teenager, I had the typical power struggle with my parents and wouldn't do it "just because they told me to" - this is not a good approach to take, by the way. You don't earn their trust or control of your big D that way.

She will probably not let up for a while for the reasons described by the other posters but she will be better if you do show her you're in control of it - not just for a short time.

iDream

im 16, getting my lisence, go where i want to go and when, go on trips with friends etc....my a1c is 6.0, i have a pump and a cgm....parents know that i know what I'm doing, therefore they dont bother me much at all about it. show them that you are responsible and can manage by yourself, through good control, a1c, food choices, etc

shiftzor

i dont know anyone who dosnt hav naggy parents, i am so pleased i dont live at home otherwise i get nagged to do things. Luckily i know more about diabetes than my parents, so they are not really in a position to nag me about it, other than remind me to take shots which i dont usualy miss. ;) parents always mean well, just take it in your stride and show how well you can control it (like other people have said).

Jodie

I'm 18 and I live with just my dad and hes very naggy. I started taking over when I was 16 and I think I have coped really well and I can do a much better job looking after myself

Matt9332

My mom is now in her 40's and so is my dad, whenever I improve like today I got 12.9 from a 15.0, they said it was WAY TO HIGH. Which is agreeble, but they can at least give me some encouraging words to keep me going.

Gangrel

You have to keep in mind that they mean well. Take it from someone who's been diabetic for almost 25 years, since I was 7. I lived through the "kid" phase, and then the "teenager phase", and while not as naggy as yours perhaps, my parents were "concerned".

As you get older, you will learn the art of "reflection". This art will show you that they mean well, and only mean for you to have the best life possible. At times they may be overbearing, and perhaps there is room for negiotion between you.... such as "if I keep my A1Cs in this range, back off a little"

It all straightens out in time.... When I got older, and then especially when I moved out of the house to go working, I didn't put much effort into my diabetes at all. Now here I am at 31, probably putting more effort in then even my parents wanted me to as a kid. :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.