Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BeadieJay

I panicked

BeadieJay

I have two children, aged 8 and 9, neither of whom have diabetes. I was diagnosed 2 months ago.

Today, my 8 year old daughter kept saying how thirsty she was. She doesn't usually drink much, in fact we often have to nag her to drink enough, especially in the hot weather. So, when she said she was thirsty all the time, I immediately panicked (without letting her see it, but inside I was a mess!!)

I asked her if she'd been thirsty for a few days, and she said, no, just today. Then she asked me why I wanted to know. At first I just said that I was interested, but she kept asking me, so I told her the truth, that thirst is one of the signs of diabetes, and that I was just keeping a good eye on her to make sure she doesn't get sick. She seemed quite happy with my explanation, and said that she doesn't mind getting diabetes, as she's seen me coping with it (eeeeeek, if only she knew the reality!!)

I'm very conscious that I don't panic my kids, I also don't want to be an over-anxious mother, taking her kids to the doctor everytime I think they're drinking too much!

It worries me though, because, like I said, she never drinks a lot normally. I'm going to keep an eye on her. I don't really have a question, just needed to get this off my chest. :whistling :rolleyes:

am1977

That's understandable, Sue. I think mothers tend to worry about their children more than necessary, but that's just how things typically are. I would be the same way (i'm not a mother yet). I'm sure your daughter understands that your worry is only out of love and concern for her. She's lucky to have someone who cares about her so much.

mg_2204

Sue, could it be because it's so hot these days? Perhaps she has been a bit more active too? Sometimes what we eat also makes us more thirsty.

I understand your worries. It's a good thing you're keeping a close watch. You never know! But of course, I do hope it's just because of the hot weather. Yeah, it must be the hot weather! :)

If one of my kids have a tummy ache... I think EEKKkk! Appendicitis!!!!

Marie

:)

BeadieJay

LOL Marie - it's usually my daughter who's the hypochondriac, but I put that down to her not wanting to go to school. It's amazing how quickly her tummy ache's get better when she wants to go out to play!! I think yesterday probably was a result of the hot weather, she was outside playing a lot - chasing boys LOL, she and a friend smothered their faces in make-up (ooooh, they looked hideous LOL) and tried to kiss all the boys :D

am1977, thank you for your kind words :) My mum still worries about me, I guess some things never change!!

Sue :)

Eri's mom

I worry about my son also...that boy has to have a drink ALL the time...he's CONSTANTLY thirsty...and always has been. We've had him tested for diabetes since he was 2, when the pediatrician noticed how thirsty he always was. This boy can drink a code red mountain dew and eat a candy bar after a HUGE meal, and his reading will still come out at 88. Weird. He's a bad asthmatic...and has horrible allergies, so that may be contributing to the drinking.

My youngest daughter(middle one is diabetic)...has had both random high and low readings...they say she is "brewing" diabetes more than likely. I choose to hope and pray otherwise...he one HBA1C was 7, so that was good, but that was about 2 yrs ago. Time to check her again....last month was ok.

I'll check both of them again today when they get home from school.

sweetness

I check both my girls periodically (once or twice per year) just in case. They are always test perfect no matter what or when they have eaten.

I sometimes worry if one has been excessively thirsty or jittery without food, etc. That's usually when I do it and still the scores are perfect. They don't mind it, and are always pleased to know how "perfect" they are! :)

gretchen

Lorna

Beadiejay- I think doing a test would be a good idea, just so that you can put your mind at rest and move on. All the best!

BeadieJay

Thanks everyone for your responses, I really appreciate them :)

Eri's mom, your comment about your son reminded me of when my son was like that, drinking all the time. He always had a drink on the go no matter what he was doing, but I never once thought it might be diabetes, as back then I hadn't been diagnosed. He doesn't drink nearly so much now, so I'm not too worried about him, but that won't stop me keeping a close eye on him as well as his sister! I hope your kids tested okay the other day.

Gretchen, that's great that your kids are perfect - I hope they remain that way for ever!!

Lorna, my daughter isn't thirsty any more - typical of me to panic without leaving it a day or two to see what happened!! I will test both my kids, but I know that it won't be easy, and I'm not sure how I'll get around it. I might ask my doctor for some urine testing sticks to start with. I know that both kids will scream the house down if I have to finger-test them, but I know it's something I should seriously think about.

I'll never forget when I was very young, I got a splinter in my leg. I wouldn't let my mum take it out, so she waited till I was fast asleep - then attacked me with a sterilised needle. Apparently I screamed so loud, that a neighbour, several houses down the road, knocked on our door to see what was going on LOL - I can see my own kids doing the same kind of thing!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.