Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

evil636

Any parents out here ?

evil636

Myself= Diabetic for 27 years

For my sons 6th birthday, he got diabetes :(

Are there any other parents with a diabetic child in the 4 to 7 range that would like to exchange information, ideas, tips, etc.

HollyB

My son's a lot older. Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear of your son's diagnosis. Not exactly the birthday present of his dreams.

Hope he's doing OK.

kel4han

Awww. I'm sorry. My daughter was diagnosed last December at the age of 6 too! It is so heart breaking, and talk about being harder to manage for kids! You can contact me anytime, PM or email. children with DIABETES Online Communitynwithdiabetes.com

Best wishes, it's a whole 'nother world when its your child isn't it?:( Hope to hear from you soon.

granolahippie

Hi my name is Leslie. I have had the big D for 16 years.

Found out 2 years ago at the age of 2 that my baby girl has diabetes as well. Its not a fun thing to have to watch your child go through. I understand how you feel in many ways.

I am here if you need anything.

PM me anytime. Not sure if you already know about this place type1parents.org is a great place for support and just to feel okay about things........

Take care and I am just a message away.

kstreeter513

Sorry to hear about your child's new diagnosis. That really bites. I am now 21, but I was diagnosed as a type one when I was six. I see many people who posted to this thread have type one with children with type one. Is this common?

JediSkipdogg
Sorry to hear about your child's new diagnosis. That really bites. I am now 21, but I was diagnosed as a type one when I was six. I see many people who posted to this thread have type one with children with type one. Is this common?

The exact percents vary from time to time and depending on who does the study. It's said though that the male has a twice greater chance of passing it on that if his wife is diabetic. If both are diabetic, the chances quadruple the wife's percent. That seems to be the only common bond.

Then Children's Hospital says if one child develops diabetes, any other children have a 10% chance of getting it. Lastly, if you have identical twins and one is diagnosed, the other twin has a 50% chance of getting it.

Back to the original topic....evil, I've had diabetes for almost 25 years. I'm only 25 years old. So if you need any info from the child's perspective, just let me know.

HollyB

Hi Mom E,

My son was diagnosed at 13 1/2. He's turning 16 next month. That's sort of close....

How's your son doing?

catgalla

Hello Evil. I've been t1 now for about 17 years and my son, now 7, was diagnosed when he was 4. I was shocked but he had it easy compared to some kids probably because I saw the signs early and tested him at home. Anyway, his blood sugar levels are always all over the place. He's on the pump but with sports and he likes to sneak food even though he knows all he has to do is let us know so we can give him his insulin. I have a 5 year old too and hopefully she doesn't get it.

momof1n1onway

i'm very sorry to hear about your little boy! That's not something you want your child to have to go through. I'm 22 years and have been a type 1 diabetic for 11 years now, i'm also on the pump. I have a 2 year old little boy and pregnant again. Is there a chance that my son or daughter could get this same disease? I worry about it everyday hoping that he won't but is there a chance?

granolahippie
i'm very sorry to hear about your little boy! That's not something you want your child to have to go through. I'm 22 years and have been a type 1 diabetic for 11 years now, i'm also on the pump. I have a 2 year old little boy and pregnant again. Is there a chance that my son or daughter could get this same disease? I worry about it everyday hoping that he won't but is there a chance?

Hi.

I am 28 years old and have been diabetec (T1) for 16 years. The simple answer is yes. My daughter is 5 now and also is T1 diabetic. She was Dx'd at the age of 2. But here is a link that will explain the genetics and chances of T1 parents with children getting it.

The Genetics of Diabetes - All about Diabetes - American Diabetes Association

I hope it helps! :) If you have any other questions please ask. I will try and do my best to help or I am sure any of these knowledgeable people can help!!

Much luck

treiss

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed in May. Pretty good on shots. Just started pumping a couple of days ago. So far OK. Will be great when we get all the ratios worked out.

Terry

Mom E

Thank you HollyB. My son is handling things really well so far

He was diagnosed this past October. They said his A1C was 9.9 in the hospital originally when he was admitted with a 249 blood glucose level. I heard that 249 is not that high but he had keytones and was very thirsty and urinating alot. The nurse said kids are usually admitted when the level is much higher and said we came in at the right time before it got worse. They put him on insulin. My son's A1C is 6.2 now...but he always has lows, so I guess this is the honeymoon period

(I hate that phrase!)

So he's had lows since Oct, Nov, Dec, and Jan. I just wonder how we are going to handle it when the honeymoon is over.

gettingby

It doesn't always happen. I've been T1 for 23 years but so far, my 17 yr old daughter does not have it.

Eri's mom

My middle child was dx'd when she was 6 as well. She is now 14.

We've all been through that testing to see if we carry any of the genes or antibodies. Our youngest, they say, has the likeliest chance of developing it and my husband was just dx'd as a T2.

She went through that honeymoon stage for a while...now she is just getting out of a horrible "HI" bgl stage(honestly, I think it was the stress from moving and where we were living b/c now her bgl's are perfect).

Her dx reading was over 1000mg/dL...and after 3 months is when she hit the stage where she was consistantly low.

Eri's been through a lot, so I have learned quite a bit from her.

Feel free to contact me at any time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.