Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

. sugarfree .

I'd like an opinion

. sugarfree .

Hi, I'm a type 1 diabetic. I've been one since I was 17 so about 4 years. I had the lantus and homalog combo until recently when my doctor pressured me into going on the insulin pump. It's been convenient I must say though. Not having to take shot after every meal and the two shots for lantus. I broke the 1 shot up into 2 shots to insure that I'm covered for the day because lantus has a tendancy to leave system before the actual 24 hrs are up. To be honest, I've had more issues with my blood sugars being on the pump. I've only been on the pump for a few months and my doctors haven't been very helpful. The doctor that assists with patients who use the pump insists that I only need .9 units for a basal and 2 unit for 15 grams of carbs. She says that I shouldn't eat more than 90 grams of carbs a day which I've been trying to stick by. I've only met a few ppl who are older with diabetes and I wanted to hear what others think are good guidelines for diabetics. I stay active, I hike and workout but I still feel fatigued in the mornings and throughout the day.. I'm not sure where the problem lies though.

ant hill

Hello and Welcome to the DF family and a happy 21st birthday too. :)

I have had diabetes for 36 years 37 in march next year.

I find that having food that lasts me for a good period has it's benefits and makes the lows away. As for keeping the BG's they way you want them is indeed an art to perfect and for as long I have been a diabetic I am constantly learning and having to think ahead what to eat and what you will be doing in the near future physically, Like to eat now and then go to swing an axe later as you have to think like that every day.

Having to do things physically has it's drawbacks as you put pressure on your body, You wake up the insulin that is in your body and suffer a low. :( Hence the jelly beans that you have with you when you do the physical stuff. It's a cross that we have to bear unfortunate for us. some 20 years ago we have had weaker insulins to take and that made us to have a restricted diet like honey was on the forbidden list and I love honey. :D And foods like that were so desirable that we cannot have. Today is all about stay away from the monounsaturated fats and to look at good food choices and discover new food and see how that reacts to BG so life goes on and we still keep learning. ;)

Olidus

Try and not eat more then 90 grams of Carbs a day????? FOR REALS? Someone else help me out here - but that is rather low is it now? I have some meals over 100g and that is just a single meal. I tend to have a good control over my insulin to carb ration at the moment, and can work it out that way. If someone told me to stick to only 90 g of carb a day, I seriously don't know how I would react to that.

We have Diabetes - I'm still going to enjoy life as much as I can as along as I can keep my levels under control. At the end of the day that is the only thing that counts for me when it comes to the D!

xMenace

90g a day? He meant a meal, right? Pffft! Total hogwash. Would his name by chance be Bernstein?

How does he know what your basals should be? He's referring to some stupid chart that gives him normalizations. The proper amount of basal is that which keeps you in range when you don't eat. Bolus for food and basal for basal. If you don't differentiate, you'll get into trouble whenever you vary your meal sizes. You might as well go on the evil mixes.

Read these links and messge me if you have any questions.

Integrated Diabetes Services - Diabetes Management

Getting Down to Basals :: Diabetes Self-Management

HOWTO profile your Basal Rates.

Workbook

BlueSky
.... The doctor that assists with patients who use the pump insists that I only need .9 units for a basal and 2 unit for 15 grams of carbs. She says that I shouldn't eat more than 90 grams of carbs a day which I've been trying to stick by. .....

It doesn't sound like the doctor is very helpful. The intial pump parameters are only a starting point. Everyone is a bit different and uses settings that suit their unique requirements. Now that you have been using the pump for a while, you really need to take control of it yourself.

Test your basal rate by skipping meals and adjust them until they work the way you want them to. IMO, it is better not to discuss this with the doctor. You need to figure it out for yourself. Do a search on testing basal rates on this forum and you will find lots of info. When you have got your basal rates right, you can then start working on the insulin:carb ratio, and getting it in line with your requirements. Whether you restrict carbs is another issue. Focus on getting your basal rates and insulin:carb ratio right before you consider eating options.

ant hill
90g a day? He meant a meal, right? Pffft! Total hogwash. Would his name by chance be Bernstein?

LOL You have got to be kidding!!! 90G a day to me is just breakfast Oldius, Don't you feel deprived of energy??

I have a Friend who is thin as a rake!! and I do wonder about his energy as he is complaining on how tired he is *nods head*

You may say that you are what you eat, But you can deprive yourself of energy on just 90Grames of carbs a day.

You must feel miserable. :confused:

Gordonm

90 a day is way to little. I could not survive on 90 a day. I average about 200 per day and if you basal and insulin to carb ratios are correct you should have no problem with more carbs. You have to owrk at it with a doctors help but it is your work not his. They provide guidelines but you have to change your settings. I change mine without even talkingto the doctor because noone knows your system like you do.

Emm

My fist post in months and I'm going to disagree with everyone... awwww...

90g per day is heaps, in my opinion. And good for BG balance if you spread it out across the day.

My carb intake varies between about 50g a day and maybe 180 on a really heavy day. I really don't see how anyone could eat over 100g in one meal! To me that sounds sickly, and I'd have WAY out of control BGs with that.

Just proving that we're all different :D

Sugarfree, you'll have to find out what works for you. Doctors can only guide us - Diabetes really is a self managed thing. If 90g of carbs a day is working for you, then that's great :) If you don't like it, then find a way to work more cabs in. It's all do-able when you have the knowledge :) And it certainly feels better - less constricting - when you're in control of your D - we should never let it control us, imho!

kstreeter513

I love my carbs and I eat lots of them. About 300 grams/day. Just take more insulin to cover them. I'm about your age and this is just my opinion, but my endo and pump nurse mean well, but I take what they say with a grain of salt when it comes to adjusting my basals. Use the fasting tools found everywhere on the internet (I know minimed has one) to test your basals. Then test your I:C ratio. After that you should be free to eat about anything you want.:)

P.S.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good help here!!

Emm
hey emm-welcome back! i was just thinking about ya the other day! weird,huh? trish

Hey Trish :) Good to be back. I had to take a bit of a break from D related sites - I realised I was over-thinking everything! I felt better for a while (and still kept good control, shock horror) but then of course I got to missing everyone *sniffle*. I was very pleased to see that the 'this means war' thread is still going!

matingara

i have to agree with Emm. i don't think i could eat 90 g of carbs in a day if i tried!!!

here is a rundown of today.

i woke not feeling hungry so i skipped breakfast. my BS on waking was 110. that is about 18 points higher than normal.

i am working at home so i get to be my own chef.

before lunch my BS was down around 95.

so for lunch a made a beautiful 2 egg omellette. for the filling i used a good handful of green peas, mushrooms, salami, red bell pepper and a bit of cheddar (grated). i had a side salad with greens, shallots, cauliflower, red bell pepper and purple cabbage dressed with olive oil and red wine vinegar.

i am stuffed full after that meal.

nonetheless i am munching on a handful of nuts. :D

i would say that the salad was say 5g carb. The omellette was about 10-15 g carbs. the nuts probably 5-10g). so somewhere in the region of 20-30g carbs.

for dinner i am "bach-ing" as the girls are all out at school functions! I am planning a piece of rump or sirloin steak on the BBQ (it is almost Summer here remember). Serve that with a creamy mushroom sauce, more salad and some nice buttery broadbeans (like lima beans) or peas.

probably have a bowl of low carb ice cream and fresh blueberries or raspberries for dessert. so again i will be in the ballpark of 15-25g carbs.

since i have reduced my carbs i feel full after i eat and very rarely get hunger pangs or do any snacking. i do suck on "sugarless" lemon drops and chew gum sometimes.

am i odd? (or should i say am i any odder than my normal level of oddity? :D :D :D )

-- Joel.

. sugarfree .

Glad to be hear :) , I'm not trying to loose any weight. I weigh about 160 lbs and I'm about 6 ft. My mother is also a diabetic so the doctor's assume that me getting D, learning the lingo :) , was hereditary. As for what my doctor says about the 90 grams of carbs a day, I do feel like it's making walk a thin line and that I should be able to be more lenient. But I often justify those ratios with the reasoning of "I just want to eat like a use too, It's better if I back away from the donut." O_o I haven't heard the opinions of other diabetics before on this matter and I find this really helpful. I'm glad to know that It's not a taboo to eat more than that occasionally, not too much of course. I have played with my ratios a little but nothing significant, I've increased my basal during night hrs to help with high blood sugars. I use to wake up with them being in the 300 to 400 range, my eyes would feel like they were sunk in or someone just nailed me one good time in each one >_< baaaaaad way to start the day. I've managed to get them down to 100 - 200 range. I'm starting to get hungry after reading that reply from matingara though :D so imma grab a bite to eat. Ty for the help.

anmi

Hi all... I don't know what to say :)... I eat less then 90 carbs per day and I feel just fine... My program was around 120-140 but because I don't usually eat in the morning (and almost not in the evening) it's under 90 :) and I feel just fine :))...

Mainly, I eat once per day, lunch or dinner... very rarely both... I must be physically exhausted to eat them both...

UpNorth

I eat totally what i want, and take insulin accordingly:T Might end up a bit high 2h after, but nothing an extra dose of Novorapid can't fix... Dietwise i haven't changed much at all since i was diagnosed... Just don't eat as much sweets like i used to...

anmi

Ah, and I forgot to say that I don't eat so little because of a diet or something... this is how much I need.

What UpNorth said it also applies to me... I eat as much as I want and when I want :)... but I need less then in general.

Alice

I'm on MDI...so can only relate to your Lantus/Humalog experience. But, I don't see why a bolus on the pump would be that much different that on MDI? I split some of my boluses just like the pumpers do...for difficult carbs and such.

Why would a pump be any different for eating carbs? I don't understand this...you should be able to eat (reasonably) any amount of carbs you wish.

Why would a pump be different with meals?

Nikky
I eat totally what i want, and take insulin accordingly:T Might end up a bit high 2h after, but nothing an extra dose of Novorapid can't fix... Dietwise i haven't changed much at all since i was diagnosed... Just don't eat as much sweets like i used to...

Same here. Many years ago when I was on Actrapid the Doctor pulled his hair over this but the fact is doing all that carb counting didn't do me any good.

Trying a pump, also with Actrapid only caused me several serious hypoglycemia's.

Now with Novorapid and Lantus I eat when and what I want. And I have never been on a lower daily dose of insulin then I am on today.

UpNorth
Same here. Many years ago when I was on Actrapid the Doctor pulled his hair over this but the fact is doing all that carb counting didn't do me any good.

Trying a pump, also with Actrapid only caused me several serious hypoglycemia's.

Now with Novorapid and Lantus I eat when and what I want. And I have never been on a lower daily dose of insulin then I am on today.

My TDD is quite high, but heck, i'm a bit overweight so guess that's why:o I count my carbs, but not to cut down on them, but knowing how much i should inject each time. I wouldn't function with set doses for each meal and having to think about how much i eat:eek: Sometimes i eat more, sometimes less, so if i only followed my doctors words, i'd be constantly high somedays and totally hypo other days:T Must admit my doctor wasn't too happy about my experiments in the beginning- started very soon after diagnose, but i hear no complaints now:T My last A1c was in the 5's :D But i guess my next will be a lot higher due to a lot of highs caused of stress and now a cold. I'm having my next test in a couple of weeks:eek:

Nikky
My TDD is quite high, but heck, i'm a bit overweight so guess that's why:o I count my carbs, but not to cut down on them, but knowing how much i should inject each time. I wouldn't function with set doses for each meal and having to think about how much i eat:eek: Sometimes i eat more, sometimes less, so if i only followed my doctors words, i'd be constantly high somedays and totally hypo other days:T Must admit my doctor wasn't too happy about my experiments in the beginning- started very soon after diagnose, but i hear no complaints now:T My last A1c was in the 5's :D But i guess my next will be a lot higher due to a lot of highs caused of stress and now a cold. I'm having my next test in a couple of weeks:eek:

Self controlling and experiments in all honour haha BTDT :cool: Sometimes its like the extremes end up pretty good anyway :D

I rarely take more then 25 units in all in a day but fair enough I am a quite small person too. Now as long as the test results are fair Doc and I wont give each other too much headache over it :o

cuddlebug

welcome. Just my opinion if you feel pressured to use the pump and feel better on the lantus humalog mix i say stay with that . I am the same way. No one should pressure you to do anything everybody has a different reacton to the meds.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.