Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt9332

Hba1c Thread

Matt9332

Hey guys, I'm matt, 14 year's old and today I just went to the doctor for my monthly check up as I am a type 1 diabetic.

I was expecting to get my Hba1c at a range from 15-25, as I just moved from Hong kong, I was very nervous I couldn't sleep for 2 days because i was in tears thinking about what's going to happen to me from my dad. But after my check I realized I got my best HBa1c since june 2006, with 12.9%. My average has been 14% so I was so happy. What is your latest Hba1c? And share your experience with your highest one.

Dan Gato

Good that you had your A1C.:)

It's recommended to have an A1C of 6.5 or lower.

Use your glucose monitor several times a day, eat less carbs, ask the doctor to adjust your insuline or medications.

I've read that an A1C of over 7 causes damages to the organs.

nerves, etc.

nono87

my HbA1c has always been below 8 however of late as you can see my last two A1c its been AWFUL!! i get really down about it so i'm aiming that when i go back for my next review in 3 months i'll be back to my old normal self i know it might not happen that quickly but i am keeping positive :)

Simon

My latest is 6.5%. That's the highest since going on insulin. I guess it's harder when you're younger as your hormones are all over the place. Diet can make things harder too. High carb meals are harder to estimate carb content for. What's your regime? Have you worked out a carb ratio?

nono87
What's your regime? Have you worked out a carb ratio?

i'm doing the insulin:card ratio its currently trial and error and i seem to be getting the hang of it now but it still needs a bit of tweaking up. i'm working with the baseline 1 unit insulin: 15g carbs but i want to change that to 20g for my lunch time insulin and hopefully THAT should help :D

Matt9332
My latest is 6.5%. That's the highest since going on insulin. I guess it's harder when you're younger as your hormones are all over the place. Diet can make things harder too. High carb meals are harder to estimate carb content for. What's your regime? Have you worked out a carb ratio?

Totally agree about the hormones thing. I'm half way through puberty (says my doctor) And when going through the stages of puberty your appetite will change, and more insulin intake is necessary. And for the people saying keeping it under 7 or something, I know this, but i'm having trouble because I just moved from a new country. Food is totally different, instead of a bowl of rice with chicken, its A bowl of rice with Cashew nuts, chilli, basil leaf and chicken. Adjusting is the most difficult thing for me at this time because in this new environment I get less time to play football, to socialize and really to get out of the house and enjoy the sun.

I hope I can get my HBa1c to 8 by the end of Febuary, I'm really starting to feel confident about my diabetes, and I want to stay healthy, I love my life I love everything about it and I just need some help some motivation from my parents and friends.

Thanks for the help given by the way. :)

xMenace

Being young is more difficult, but it's never easy. Always ways to improve. Mine is 6.4, up from 6.1. I'm scheduled for another on Jan. 4th, a full round of tests.

jjames

Mine has gone up! :motz: I was down to 6.9 on MDI, but since going on the pump - I've managed to make it go back up to 8.3 (blah).

Kudos to you kid on bringing your A1C down. You already know it's high, but now you're moving in the right direction - THAT'S GOOD! Don't let the low numbers of what doctors want and what other people's are discourage you. I would agree to check your BG often, and you can even "guestimate" what your next A1C would be. Click on the "tools" page to see the A1C to BG / BG to A1C converter. It might give you SOME idea what your next A1C might be.

Good luck kido!

gettingby
Hey guys, I'm matt, 14 year's old and today I just went to the doctor for my monthly check up as I am a type 1 diabetic.

I was expecting to get my Hba1c at a range from 15-25, as I just moved from Hong kong, I was very nervous I couldn't sleep for 2 days because i was in tears thinking about what's going to happen to me from my dad. But after my check I realized I got my best HBa1c since june 2006, with 12.9%. My average has been 14% so I was so happy. What is your latest Hba1c? And share your experience with your highest one.

How long have you had diabetes? What insulins are you on? 12.9 is pretty high. What does your doctor have to say about that? Are you seeing an endocrinologist? Sorry for all of the questions but it can help us to understand where you are coming from and enable us to better help you.

Oops, almost forgot. 3.gif

Matt9332

I've been diabetic since I was in my late 7's, and now I just turned 14. I'm taking 8 Humalog at breakfast, lunch and dinner, and 27 lantus before bed. My biggest issue is, not doing regular BG's and insulin takes, but now i'm feeling more confident to do so. My doctor recommends me to ALWAYS check my BG, stay on diet and never ommit insulin. I am NOT seeing a "endocrinologist", I don't know what that is exactly :(.

Anyway, I'm not obeysse or having any eyes issues, but I do worry about my future and hopefully I can turn around my bad experience.

gettingby

You are definitely on the right track. An endocrinologist is a doctor who specializes in diabetes.

I was diagnosed when I was 13 so I went through the puberty years with the big D. From what I've seen, it's tougher during the teen years but I'm sure you will get through it without any major complications. Hang in there and stick with us. We will help get you through this.:) Just take it one day at a time. Testing is really important and so is taking your insulin. Start out your day by saying "I'm gonna check at least 3 times today" and when you do that, start increasing the number. That should help.

Richard157

Matt, I have been Type 1 for 62 years and I am very healthy. I have only a few minor complications. If we have good control and can get our A1c's below 6.5 and keep them there then we greatly increase our chances of leading a long, healthy life without serious complications. My A1c's had been below 6.0 for several years until I started pumping in June. I had a difficult start with pumping and my A1c was 6.1 last month. It was 5.6 before I started pumping insulin. Now that I have my pump routine under better control I expect an A1c around 5.5 in February.

Since you are 14 you might be interested in the following site for teens:

DiabetesTeenTalk.com - from dLife

Good luck to you!

Richard

Matt9332

Well right now, i'm taking it one step at a time and my new HBa1c goal is 8-9%, it isnt the best but I think it'll be easier for me to get it down if I target something i'm capable of then after aim above what i've achieved.

JT007

Hey Matt,

I am 22 and going through the same ordeal. I haven't really done well taking care of myslf the last couple of years and I just very recently, within the last 3-4 months started to better. I had my A1c done 4 months ago and it was 14.7. Horrible I know and I was ashamed. I took some initiative, completely reworked my insulin:carb ratio, my sliding scale, my carb intake, and exercise, and now, just 3 months later, it is already down to 11.3.

Motivation is my biggest enemy too. It is hard to want to tackle what we have to. It might get harder before it gets better for you. I am not trying to discourage you. I have had it since I was 5 and I was doing moderately well when I was your age until I hit about 19, then I didn't want to deal with it anymore. I had dealt with it long enough I decided and just didn't have the motivation to deal anymore. But here I am, getting back on track and feeling great about it. I feel 2008 will be a good year for me. I am trying to think positive.

And remember, one of the best motivators is this site right here. It has helped me a lot. Just reading the posts can be a tremendous help.

Try not to worry yourself to death about it.

Good Luck!!!

JT

anmi

Hi all, i am type 1 for almost 2 years.

My last HbA1 was 8.5 so i am a little disappointed because i try to keep a very constant normal line of the sugar blood.

Generally, i have very good values, i mean there are full days having values between 80-100 but if something is going wrong like a big flue or a little bit more stress then usual, it goes up for a day or two. For example, I had to fly out of the country, I am very scarred of the flight... when i landed, i was 480!!! of course, i took it down with extra insulin units ... but common, it was a record for me... the biggest ever :(. Second time I flied, I knew the lesson, took some extra units before leaving and at landing, was 150 ... phew :)

Is this 8.5 caused by having once or twice a big value? 8.5 is a value that will cause me problems/complications in the future if is maintained for a long time? Before 8.5 I was 7.3...

anmi
Hi anmi! Have you considered going on an insulin pump?

Hi Tania, I have been thinking about this but I live at the end of the world :), meaning in Romania, Eastern Europe and here is very difficult to find the insulin needed for pump.

I talked with my endo and she advised me not to buy one (not to say that you can't even buy one because you cannot find it here - but i have friend outside the country and I have to go outside usually, so wouldn't be a big problem) because the insulin is not distributed in time... :mad: so I might have problems with this... So, those of you who live in USA, be happy... at least can get latest treatment technologies... we here we'll be the last :)

I am currently on Lantus and Novorapid which improved my treatment. I began with Insulatard and ActRapid which I didn't handle it so well - big values, got a lot of weight etc.

lilituc
I talked with my endo and she advised me not to buy one (not to say that you can't even buy one because you cannot find it here - but i have friend outside the country and I have to go outside usually, so wouldn't be a big problem) because the insulin is not distributed in time... :mad: so I might have problems with this...

What's the problem? Getting vials of Novorapid? Or getting the pump supplies? I think you can draw from the pen cartridges still; I know you can do it with a syringe.

UpNorth

My last: 5.4:D I've had lower though, but as long as i stick below 7 i'm happy:)

I was diagnosed type1 just days before i turned 19. I'm soooo glad i got through the whole teen hormone roller coaster before i got Diabetes.

anmi
What's the problem? Getting vials of Novorapid? Or getting the pump supplies? I think you can draw from the pen cartridges still; I know you can do it with a syringe.

both...

i don't know, the pump uses also Novorapid? I didn't have yet problems in finding Novorapid but i know that pumps use other type of insuline, isn't so?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.