Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChristineMarie

First time pregnancy

ChristineMarie

Okay, so I would like to start off by saying that before I found out about my pregnancy I wasn't much of a carb counter and I rarely checked my blood sugar levels. It was common for my sugars to be over 300 or 400. As soon as I saw that positive test, everything changed. I monitor my sugars, eat healthier meals and count/record everything I consume. My sugars have been in my target range, but I do have quite a few lows now.

ANYHOW, the purpose of this post is to voice my concern about Type 1 Diabetes and pregnancy. I have read some terrible things and I fear the worst! I came here to see if there is anyone who could sooth my fears or give me advice on what I should do to ensure I have a safe pregnancy/delivery for both me and my baby.

Keezheekoni

Hi and welcome to the board! Glad to have you here. :D

First, let me say good for you on immediately changing your bad habits. :) It'll definitely help.

I've had five children and they are all happy and healthy. My biggest advice is to get to your OB or midwife and get on a pump. I swear had I had the opportunity to pump while pregnant I would have done it in a heartbeat. :D If you'd rather not have a pump, Lantus and Humalog are perfectly fine for pregnancies.

Eat healthier. Regarding "eating for two", well I never did because I had severe hyperemesis the entire 9 months for two of my pregnancies, so whatever I could get into me, that wouldn't come back to haunt me, I'd eat. Like I said before, just eat healthier. You might want to see your endo and listen to their recommendations, maybe even see a CDE and/or nutritionist to get a good baseline going.

Congrats on the pregnancy, and again, welcome!

Jan B

Congratulations!

Of course there are horror stories, but don't concentrate on that! There are many more good outcomes and YOURS should be one of those! Do the best you can -- that's all any of us can do.

Sarmar7

CONGRATULATIONS!

I have Type 1 too and Jack is 20 weeks old!

All went well. I also tried my hardest to keep within levels during pregnancy and Jack was born weighing 7lb 14 oz's and all went to plan!

Good luck. Its definately worth it! (tried to include photo but cant get it to work!)

palefacegirl03

Congratulations!!

Just test alot and try not to stress over what might happen.

My daughter will be 7 years old on Jan 5.

She was a little bit big, 9 lbs 9 ounces, but she is healthy and not real problems.

Have a happy pregnancy , it is such a wonderful thing to bring a child into this world.

Make sure you keep up with dental care during your pregnancy,that is really the only lasting problem I have from then, well stretch marks too, but that is another story,lol

ChristineMarie

I would like to thank you all for replying! I must admit I am still a bit worried. My sugars have been dropping (even down to 39) and I have had highs up to 200... it freaks me out because my doctor (even though she admitted to having little experience with Diabetes and Pregnancy) said it's really bad for the baby.

I have yet to get an ultrasound done, but I will let you guys know how it goes as soon as I do.

Thanks again for your support - it means a lot to me!!

Happy Holidays!

-Christine

ChristineMarie

I suppose I should update you guys here... it's been several years. Shortly after my last post I was brought into the emergency room where I was told I lost my baby. It isn't quite clear why.

Kathryn10

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you're not beating yourself up over it - miscarriages can occur for many, many reasons and happen all the time to "perfectly healthy" women.

Lizzie G

sorry to hear of your loss; as kathryn said, miscarriage is very common and 9 times out of 10 we never know why and i hope you dont blame yourself. hopefully though, if you are thinking of starting a family/extending your family you will get your diabetes under good control before you conceive and you will have a great chance of a healthy baby.

ChristineMarie

No, I haven't tried again. I am on birth control now. I do know how important it is to have my BGL's under control before I plan to start a family. Thanks for your love and support guys <3

-Namaste

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.