Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caswellhb

Ok. Wasn't going to announce this here but really need help.

Carwy

I was also asking all the same questions. However I took the time to read up on HIV and pregnancy. This is what I found.

WebMD

HIV facts

What about treatment for HIV during pregnancy?

One of the greatest advances in the management of HIV infection has been in pregnant women. Prior to antiviral therapy, the risk of HIV transmission from an infected mother to her newborn was approximately 25-35%. The first major advance in this area came with studies giving ZDV after the first trimester of pregnancy, then intravenously during the delivery process, and then after delivery to the newborn for 6 weeks. This treatment showed a reduction in the risk of transmission to less than 10%. Although less data are available with more potent drug combinations, clinical experience suggests that the risk of transmission may be reduced to less than 5%. Current recommendations are to advise HIV-infected pregnant women regarding both the unknown side effects of antiviral therapy on the fetus, and the promising clinical experience with potent therapy in preventing transmission. In the final analysis, however, pregnant women with HIV should be treated essentially the same as non-pregnant women with HIV. Exceptions would be during the first trimester, where therapy remains controversial, and avoiding certain drugs that may cause greater concern for fetal toxicity, such as EFV.

All HIV-infected pregnant women should be managed by an obstetrician with experience in dealing with HIV-infected women. Maximal obstetric precautions to minimize transmission of the HIV virus such as avoiding scalp monitors, and minimizing labor after rupture of the uterine membranes. In addition, the potential use of an elective Caesarean section (C- section) should be discussed, particularly in those women without good viral control of their HIV infection where the risk of transmission may be increased. Breastfeeding should be avoided if alternative nutrition for the infant is available since HIV transmission can occur by this route. Despite the reduced risk of transmission associated with antiviral therapy, pregnant women with HIV need to be thoroughly counseled regarding all risks, as well as all options, including therapeutic abortions when appropriate. Updated guidelines for managing HIV-infected women are updated on a regular basis and can be found at [/url].

This is another one but it is in PDF format so you will have to open it and read it.

Aids info.

So please lets not judge Heather on anything. I do believe she knows what she is doing. It sounds like this decision was not something she jumped into. She and the father had to have talked about it long and hard before they jumped into anything.

GETTING this back on topic.

Heather I'm proud that you have made this decision and know that I will support you in all that you do.

Carwy

Evermont

Congrats Heather. You'll soon have your hands full. My new grandson is already crawling around the house at 7 months. He's a full time job all by himself but so friggin' cute it doesn't matter how much work is involved.

His mommy had PUPPP, he was breech and C-sectioned, he beat the (1 in 4) odds and has blue eyes despite both parents having brown. He's 90th percentile for height and 100th percentile for cute. Oh yeah, mommy read him "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" last weekend and he actually said "caterpillar" like 5 times - I was there it was crazy. Tonight he waved at a visitor.

The guy at the Burton snowboard factory store last night said I could start him out at two-and-a-half years old. Wohoo!!!

caswellhb

Thank you so very much Carwy. I have tears in my eyes.

I think people forget that there is a mother behind the disease at times.

For those that are wondering. I did not sleep around or inject something awful. 15 years ago I was attacked and infected. I don't ask for pity or sympathy. It is a disease exactly like diabetes. It has to be looked after and I am extremely fit and healthy.

Thank you for taking the time to become informed Carwy. I really appreciate that. Some people just cannot be bothered I guess.

Information is power folks!

Heather.

Carwy

For those that are wondering. I did not sleep around or inject something awful. 15 years ago I was attacked and infected. I don't ask for pity or sympathy. It is a disease exactly like diabetes. It has to be looked after and I am extremely fit and healthy.

Thank you for taking the time to become informed Carwy. I really appreciate that. Some people just cannot be bothered I guess.

Heather.

Heather,

I believe in my heart you are a great person and I would never judge anyone on something I know nothing about and hearing information from a friend who heard it from a friend is not good information. If I do not know about something I look for the truth in that subject. Others could learn form that. Also once a person close their mind and stops learning I believe they stop living.

So the best of you luck to you and they little ones. If you need to talk through email or IM just let me know.

Cary

UpNorth

Heather.

Oh gosh Heather :s: Did the police catch the attacker and put him in jail? When i first saw your profile i thought, "ah, ex nurse, maybe just had a freak accident with a needle at work and the patient happened to be infected" I knew that you're not the kind of person that would put yourself in a risksituation.

I really hope you'll have a problem free pregnancy and that both you and the babies will be healthy :)

kgm0612

Geeze........I totally missed this post.......I'll blame it on the holidays and the fact that I wasn't on much then! LOL

Heather..........congratulations to you! I'll keep you and the twins in my thoughts and prayers that you have an easy pregnancy and that those little ones will be born healthy.

Karen

mortis505

Heather,

I noticed that in your profile back when I first joined. Did I care? No. Did I think ill of you. No. You are a good person with a good heart and thats all that matters to me. In this day and age too many people use a disease as a label or a reason of why they don't like someone. But I, and I'm sure many of us here don't think or feel that way. We know you as part of our DF family, and I believe that knowing each other has made us all better for it.

Also, I'm not changing my mind on my choice of charity, diapers, formula, etc are expensive.

P.S. Those 2 babies have got a wonderful mother.

ladytaz
Heather,

I noticed that in your profile back when I first joined. Did I care? No. Did I think ill of you. No. You are a good person with a good heart and thats all that matters to me. In this day and age too many people use a disease as a label or a reason of why they don't like someone. But I, and I'm sure many of us here don't think or feel that way. We know you as part of our DF family, and I believe that knowing each other has made us all better for it.

Also, I'm not changing my mind on my choice of charity, diapers, formula, etc are expensive.

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

gettingby
Heather,

I think you have said it all very splendidly. :congrats:

Heather, you have a heart of gold and lots of love to go around. Those babies will never want for anything.

As to the HIV status, it did NOT matter one d a n g e d bit to me. I still love ya and will always be here for you.

BTW, I'm already looking at some of the cutest little boy and little girl outfits. :D Yeah, I'm gonna spoil them and you can't stop me. :aetsch:

Keezheekoni

OMG! Did someone seriously have a problem with your HIV status? Seriously??!! I freakin' miss everything around here...

Heather, we know that you're a wonderful person. You know that you're a wonderful person. We also know, as do you, that you are a wonderful mother.

Don't let some a$$hole spoil your good news!

caswellhb

Thank you so much everyone. I am really touched by the support and love I have received from you all.

Ok ladies, let's get those knitting needles clicking and get these spawn clothed. LOL.

Heather.

UpNorth

Heather, you are so brave in all ways possible, and such a wonderful person! Those babies will have a wonderful mum!:)

All the best and hugs from Scandinavia:D

Keezheekoni
Ok ladies, let's get those knitting needles clicking and get these spawn clothed. LOL.

Um, I can't knit...

But I'll crochet a couple of blankets. :) I guess I better get to work!

buddy7

Hi -- Heather !!

but my numbers worry me a lot

With the babies coming along with-in you, your body chemistry is probably working overtime, course, your numbers will be up and down, you've got enough to worry about at the moment, the babies and all, the numbers be your least worry.

So cheer-up Heather!! keep smiling, we all doing it for you. :)

B/7 ESSEX UK.

caswellhb

Thank you Buddy. Want to do the throwing up for me as well?LOL.

Rikki, I was joking but I have got the knitting needles out and started making little matinee jackets and bootees.

I'm so pleased and proud to have so many wonderful friends here.

Heather.

ovadozea
Hidden

HEALTH INFO: We have the :) - for 28years it has provided a balanced Nutrition for our Health.

-FAST! SAFE! & EFFECTIVE!!!

-NO PILLS, NO MEDICINE!! NO EXERCISE!!

-LOSE UP TO 3lbs. in 3 DAYS

-FDA/BFAD REGISTERED (in over 70 countries)

Benefits: - It has 19 different Vitamins & Minerals & essential Nutrients.

- 15g. of protein to help support weight management.

- 3g. of Healthy fiber for our digestive health.

- Regulates Blood & Sugar level.

- Helps Manage weight for better Health

- Slows down the process aging

- Clears & enhances your skin

- with 3 differrent flavors: Dutch Choco, Vanilla & Wild berry

DRINK THIS FOR OPTIMUM HEALTH!!!

VERY SAFE! EVEN FOR PREGNANT WOMEN!!

For Orders kindly call or text: 0910-406-4693

0917-746-0418

(082)275-4655

E-Mail: dom_bendigo@yahoo.com

"Share this with your loveones"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.