Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenny

More info on pre-d

Eri's mom

I read somewhere on some site that there really is no such thing as a prediabetic(they told me my youngest daughter is a prediabetic b/c of both random high and random low readings...fasting)...they said you either have it or you don't.

I know I am hypoglycemic myself...I get the shakes something horrible, get that dizzy feeling, etc...but there's always a quick fix.

KickStart101

Hey Robin: I have been Type for more years that i care to count. But my Hubbie has always had low blood level and I

told him years ago that he also is a Hypoglycemic from what

symtoms I have picked up from the boards. I told him it can turn into Diabetes if he doesn't fix his lifestyle patterns including

his weight-gain. Do you think he wants to hear this NO. Do you think he will go to his Doc NO. So what am I supposed to do with him. We sure Love him and don't want to lose him????????

**Carlie*** :)

Beansprout

Hi Carlie, I'm new to this site, but having gotten Type 1 diabetes when I was 15 years old, and then having to watch both my parents develop Type 2 diabetes within the past few years, I thought I could add a perspective. Men are like that, they DO NOT like to go to the doctor. My father was the same way. He was very sick, and losing weight like mad, we couldn't understand it. Finally he went to the doctor on his own, and has been able to control it through diet and exercise, and he feels worlds better. Bottom line is, you can't force your husband to go to the doctor, but you can let him know your concerns, and that it happens to a lot of people, and he will feel so much better when he knows how to control it, if that's what it is. the ball is in his court, but unless he takes charge of his own life and be an adult about his health. The weight gain can be controlled, as can the low blood glucose reactions and/or other side effects that you have noticed. the longer it goes on, the worse off he will be, and we all want him to live a long healthy life with you! :) Does he have a PCP?

Beansprout

Hi Carlie, I'm new to this site, but having gotten Type 1 diabetes when I was 15 years old, and then having to watch both my parents develop Type 2 diabetes within the past few years, I thought I could add a perspective. Men are like that, they DO NOT like to go to the doctor. My father was the same way. He was very sick, and losing weight like mad, we couldn't understand it. Finally he went to the doctor on his own, and has been able to control it through diet and exercise, and he feels worlds better. Bottom line is, you can't force your husband to go to the doctor, but you can let him know your concerns, and that it happens to a lot of people, and he will feel so much better when he knows how to control it, if that's what it is. the ball is in his court, but unless he takes charge of his own life and be an adult about his health. The weight gain can be controlled, as can the low blood glucose reactions and/or other side effects that you have noticed. the longer it goes on, the worse off he will be, and we all want him to live a long healthy life with you! :) Does he have a PCP?

Mameluke

Hello All! Am I still On the Honeymoon?

I was diagnosed type 1 diabetic 1 year ago, I had all the signs of diabetes, Drinking water, Urinating, Loss of sight and a BS of 500..

At first i got scared and had 2 voices in my head the doctors voice

and mine telling me find a quick solution... Time passed and i tried

something new, i drastically changed my diet to all organic and natural foods, Vegetable, Fruits and Meats,, and a pice of 12 grain bread.. Cut my carbs down to 100 a day and began to excercise,, im Male, age 28 140 lbs, 5"9. I was also taking insulin Humilog and Lantus only about 10 units each a day.. The Numbers started to drop and i started to get alot of lows,, So i stopped taking insulin and continued the same diet, and my BS fell right back in range.. My BS changes from 70 to 140 throughout the day, Higher at nightime..

All seems normal i feel fine.. I use NO sugar except natural sugar.. Am i still on the honeymoon????? How long do i have??? Any advice???

Thank You everyone,, "Oh by the way im new! Hi Everyone!"

rzrbks
Mameluke

How long do i have???

The Diabetes Police Are On Their Way To Your House Now!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

You've got as long as your body lets you. Keep on with what you are doing and KEEP checking B/G readings. You seem to be doing fine and may not have to go back on Humilog and Lantus for some time. I doubt that the Dr. will be able to set a time table so enjoy yourself as much as you can.

But, if it were me, I would begin psychological preparations for moving into full blown diabetes.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm one of those who plans for the worst and is constantly gratified when the worst doesn't happen.

eevee

I would suggest mamluke that if you are getting many 100s or higher, you will preserve your beta cell function longer if you accept some assistance now..may only need 1-2u insulin at mealtimes, or a small dose of background lantus, but as a T1, your beta cells are already under threat.

..........Eve

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.