Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anmi

very important question :)

anmi

Hi everybody

I have a big problem, I need it to discuss it with you. I told before, but for everyone to know I will tell it again. I am a girl, 28 years old, going on 29 and I discovered diabetes Type 1 almost 2 years ago. Currently, I am on Lantus and Novorapid insulins and I can handle the diabetes generally good.

My dilemma, problem and question is 'can I still have a baby?' :)... I am thinking seriously about this because I want to know what to do in the future. I mean I don't want a baby right now but I have to know if it is still possible... with no risks for the baby.

When I discovered the diabetes, my ex-doctor told me that there is no problem in having a baby... Recently, my new doctor told me that it implies a risk because I can pass it genetically to the baby. Also, I saw last week a TV show, medical discussion about diabetes and the doctor interviewed told that he does not recommend to the young people which discovered in their youth to have type 1 diabetes to have children... he didn't say why but he did say this...

And I don't know what to think anymore....:(

What can you tell me?

caswellhb

Well, I am pregnant with twins if that is any help?

I'm not sure why your doc is saying these things to you but I would suggest getting another one.

Heather.

Jan B

There are risks -- no getting around that whether you are diabetic or not! I agree with Heather -- you might find a better doctor with more real-world advice!

Have a great day!

xMenace

I passed my genes onto my children, and while they are fantastic people, I often wonder if it would be best for humanity if I didn't. This is a question no doctor can help with.

As far as safety goes, you are fine if you are well controlled. Most diabetics doctors see are not, so their answer tends to be don't have them. Diabetic's babies do tend to be larger, so be ready for that.

gettingby

I was diagnosed at the age of 13 and gave birth to a daughter 17 yrs ago. So far, she's showing no signs of diabetes but that doesn't mean anything. We have no direct link as to why I got it.

Good control is the key here. Babies of diabetics do tend to be larger but it also depends on control throughout the pregnancy.

Give it all serious thought before making a decision.

anmi
There are risks -- no getting around that whether you are diabetic or not! I agree with Heather -- you might find a better doctor with more real-world advice!

Have a great day!

Hi Jan, well I am aware off the normal risks, the general, I mean. My question was exactly for our cases... I don't want my baby to have diabetes... this is my problem actually :(

anmi
I passed my genes onto my children....

Hi xMenace, what does this means? Do your kids have also diabetes? I didn't understand...

anmi
I was diagnosed at the age of 13 and gave birth to a daughter 17 yrs ago. So far, she's showing no signs of diabetes but that doesn't mean anything. We have no direct link as to why I got it.

Good control is the key here. Babies of diabetics do tend to be larger but it also depends on control throughout the pregnancy.

Give it all serious thought before making a decision.

Hi gettingby :) ... I don't get the part 'Babies of diabetics do tend to be larger' ... what does it mean to be larger? :) I don't want to sound stupid but it's the first time I here this and does it affect the health of the child?

Yes, I am thinking seriously about this ... Actually, when I started to ask myself if I want a baby or not, diabetes appeared and the world was upside down. That is why I posted here the question to here answers from experienced people and not especially from doctors...

Alice

No children (by choice) but all my endo's were very encouraging and wanted me to make sure that my choice to NOT have children was not based on my fear of diabetes.

All (I saw 3 different endo's in my 20's-30's) recommended a very low A1C level and had all their pregnant patients on pumps. Also, one endo had his mom's send in daily glucose readings. He was very good...wish I could still visit his office.

So, with a little extra care, should be no problem.

There are a lot of "mis-informed" doctors out there...especially in the media.

My gyno at the time was very encouraging also.

I just didn't choose the baby route...

UpNorth

High bloodsugar gives bigger babies. So diabetic women who are pregnant needs to take extra care to keep bloodsugar within range, or might end up having a baby weighing 5kg or something:eek: There's not a big chance that your diabetes will pass on to your children, only a few % risk, the risk is slightly higher if it's the father who has the big D though...

Nikky

Like everything, I guess you have to look at everyone individually.

If you do decide that you want to be pregnant one day, make sure your Doctor have this CLEAR for him or herself so the 2 of you can work it out in the best possible way together.

It is not just because there is a small risk to pass Diabetes on to your Baby. When..if you do plan to get pregnant, make sure you plan ahead. I can only refer here to what my own Doctor tell me, wich is that your BS levels should be as stable as they possibly can before getting pregnant, plan ahead.

AND even at the very moment you do get pregnant, it is important that you are good with your BS-level.

Pregnancy itself can be harder on someone with Type 1 Diabetes if you for example already have diabetes related complications.

I am absolutely not trying to scare you off, as you see most have good pregnancies and healthy babies :)

Just plan ahead, be careful and take good care ;)

Keezheekoni

I've had 5 children. So far none of them are diabetic, and their father is a type 2.

I remember reading somewhere that you have a 4% chance of passing T1 if you're female, and 7% if you're male. I really wouldn't worry about the risk of passing diabetes on to your children, however if it does worry you, adopt!

As far as bigger babies go, if you're well controlled and keep your A1c under 6.5%, then you'll probably have a "normal" sized baby. Around 7.5# is normal these days. Though, genetics is a factor there, how big were you and your partner at birth? How big were your parents, etc.? My babies were all small. The smallest was a 32-weeker preemie at 4#8oz., the biggest was 3 days overdue at 7#5oz. I was well controlled, A1c was never over 7%.

One more thing, when the baby is born, he or she will more than likely go hypo after a few hours. This is because they are used to dealing with your highs and using your insulin. Once they are out, their working pancreases go to work to get rid of the extra glucose in their system. I'm very pro-breastfeeding and most hospitals will immediately give newborns glucose water if they see the hypo... I never allowed artificial nipples and just nursed the babies. They were fine after nursing.

Again though, if it scares you enough that you'll possibly pass on diabetes to your offspring, try adoption. Of course, you never really know what you get in an adoptive child's family history...

Real4
the doctor interviewed told that he does not recommend to the young people which discovered in their youth to have type 1 diabetes to have children...

There is certainly a genetic component to Type 1, but actually it is rather small. There is far more evidence that Type 2 diabetes, especially the subtype called "metabolic syndrome" is inheritable than for Type 1. The major difference, of course, is that a type 1 tends to get it far younger than type 2 would and type 1 is immediately life threatening while type 2 is not.

gettingby
Hi gettingby :) ... I don't get the part 'Babies of diabetics do tend to be larger' ... what does it mean to be larger? :) I don't want to sound stupid but it's the first time I here this and does it affect the health of the child?

Yes, I am thinking seriously about this ... Actually, when I started to ask myself if I want a baby or not, diabetes appeared and the world was upside down. That is why I posted here the question to here answers from experienced people and not especially from doctors...

What I meant to say was that they tend to weigh more. It's exactly like UpNorth explained it. It all is dependent on your control before and during pregnancy.

cuddlebug

i am also 29 going on 30 and wondered the same quiestion. I asked my dr. who told me to speak to my gyno. He told me that my sugar levels at the time of conception have a big effect on the baby. If im in control i have a normal good chance of a normal pregnancy but if im not in control at the time of conception it is likely to cause problems. So if you want children its best to get under control and plan it.

anmi

Hi all, thanks to each of you for replies...

I will write here all the answers... too laisy to quote them all :)

First thing, thanks for encourages and explanations... but the first conclusion, after reading all these posts is that I will hate more this stupid diabetes because causes so much problems :( ...

It is not enough that I have to carry him all day long after me, it has to ruin everybody's life and plans?!?!?! ....offffff....

I will not back of now, just that I am feeling too frustrated right now that even if we take very good care of it, it still implies risks...

I could not ever ever not fill guilty if something wrong will happen to my baby...

I am sure that I will overreact and even if he/she will got a flue, I will blame it on this stupid diabetes :) ...

I am sure that there is a chance that he could be as healthy as other children... but how can I know this from the beginning?

It's a big serious decision... I have to think one hundred times before...

Alice

What's to say he won't have any number of "other" problems down the road...kids are kids and they don't come with guarantees.

(coming from a non-mom here...but grew up with 6 siblings...I know a little something about variations!)

Let's just say the little child develops diabetes. So what? (Not sounding harsh here...) He will still be a great child...maybe smarter than his playmates in many ways. He may grow up and become a research doctor that finds "The Cure". Diabetes is not the worst thing that could happen to a child. Trust me on that one...

He may be a non-diabetic who robs a bank later...who knows...LOL! I know two very healthy lawyers that just got out of federal prison...diabetes is the last thing I'd worry about! Ok, now that I've cheered everyone up about their children...LOL!

Jan B

Anmi,

My heart is with you and I'm glad you are taking this seriously. I PM'd you about my personal experience.

I want to add: I was not in great control before getting pregnant; however I tried to be in good control throughout pregnancy. I also had an abusive husband & a minimal support system.

I just read that TODAY (my experience was 24 years ago), a Type 1 mother with good control of her disease has ALMOST the SAME likelihood of having a healthy child as a non-diabetic.

anmi

Let's just say the little child develops diabetes. So what? (Not sounding harsh here...)

I have a niece, 2 years old... How could I ever tell her, no, you are not allowed to eat this now? Could you? I saw in the hospital how difficult is to teach a 5 years boy to be a grown up man... It is horror from my point of view... it is difficult for us, what about they...

It's not just like that... 'so what?' You cannot just don't offer him the most beautiful part of his/her life... childhood!!! How could you offer him a happy childhood by learning him how to count carbs and take 4 injections/day??????

I am sorry but for me it is not at all cheering up...

anmi
Anmi,

My heart is with you and I'm glad you are taking this seriously. I PM'd you about my personal experience.

I want to add: I was not in great control before getting pregnant; however I tried to be in good control throughout pregnancy. I also had an abusive husband & a minimal support system.

I just read that TODAY (my experience was 24 years ago), a Type 1 mother with good control of her disease has ALMOST the SAME likelihood of having a healthy child as a non-diabetic.

Jan, thank you very very much for the replies and PM. Don't worry, it's not your experience that scared me the most... it's just this fact, that I have to have extra worries and extra thoughts and ... you know all the stuff.

I am very very sorry about what you are saying... the husband, the system and overall this diabetes... you should be a hero, not a men :)

All my love and support with you also :wavey: :wavey:

Alice

I don't take your decision-making lightly...really I don't. But you are worrying about something that may never happen. Kids are very resilient...the fear comes from parents...not the kids. (I was very young when diagnosed..age 7)

At that time, I understood everything. I remember little books about exchanges and it was a little game my mother and I played.

Also, very young children are put on pumps with great success. In the U.S., kids are encouraged to pump to make life easier...yes, it's still hard work...but that doesn't have to interfere with childhood.

Your child, if ever diagnosed, would be fine. Your feelings about it, though may never change. How that fear is directed toward a child, is another question you have to ask yourself.

But right now, this is all "what if"...right?

I have childhood friends who have died from cancer, cystic fibrosis (that's not much fun...) and from car accidents. There just aren't "perfect" people...I have another friend who was born without thumbs who grew up to be a very famous editor...does he spend time thinking about it? No, it doesn't cross his mind...it's all in the attitude.

Alice

P.S....the word "not allowed" was never used in context with diabetes...I still hate it when adults say they ate something that "isn't allowed"...

In regards to other rules..."not allowed" was heard frequently in my house!

RLK

I've been watching this thread with some interest, as I am 28 and DH and I have been married for several years now, but no kids (human ones anyway- plenty of furry ones! :D). We're still very much undecided on the issue of having a family.

Anmi, if you really want kids, then I think that you should do everything in your power to manage your diabetes and have a healthy pregnancy. But the question of wanting children should be the most important question IMO, not the question of will they or won't they have diabetes. Children don't come with warranties....they come as they are, and they are loved in spite of those things that make them special, even diabetes.

I wish you all the best in making your decision! :)

deansreef

i am a type 1 diabetic and the father of 2 school age children- Does me being a type 1 increase my children odds of diabetes?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.