Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anmi

very important question :)

Jan B

HEATHER,

NO -- please don't be scared. NO -- you have a huge support system and YOU and your babies will be fine. Believe ok? Sending you hugs, love and all the best. You've got a great doctor too and you are doing all you can. It's normal for your BGs to be a little wierd.

Jan B

But the question of wanting children should be the most important question IMO, not the question of will they or won't they have diabetes. Children don't come with warranties....they come as they are, and they are loved in spite of those things that make them special, even diabetes.

:)

This is TRUE and a very important point.

anmi

Common people... I didn't open this thread to convince myself IF I WANT or NOT a baby or to scare others :)... heather stop it :)... this is not for you to read :)

Of course, the simple fact that I want a baby or not is MY OWN VERY IMPORTANT decision which will never be discussed in this or another forum :)... My point was exactly regarding the risks implied... Of course, I wasn't thinking about a baby with a stamp on his head "HEALTHY", good to be born by me :))))))

Alice, you are right, I should be happy cause I don't have cancer or wasn't killed in a car accident or anything else more horrible and thanks God I only have diabetes ... I am sure things could be worst, I am sure there are all over the world children with much more problems them me. But as I said before, I have to think one hundred times before taking this important decision, especially because I know myself and I will overreact at the smallest problem the baby would have and I will blame it on me and on this diabetes.

The true and real point is that I myself didn't have a very happy childhood (I will not get into the details) and is the biggest regret of my life... I hated the fact that I have to act like grown up people, to understand problems and so on ... This is exactly what I don't want for my baby.

On the other hand, as I said in another thread, maybe you didn't read it, I am leaving at the end of the world :), in Romania, here the new technologies arrive when they became deprecated :)))) ... meaning it's not very easy to get a pump, neither for me, neither for kids. We have a very stupid and 'unhealthy' health system...

anmi
I've been watching this thread with some interest, as I am 28 and DH and I have been married for several years now, but no kids (human ones anyway- plenty of furry ones! :D).

I also have hairy and 4 legs kids in my house :))) ... they are the love of my life :)))... for the moment

all the best to you too :)

anmi

actually all the best to everybody and all my love to you all... this is the best forum ever existing ... it really helps a lot to talk with you and it really makes you feel like you are not the only one with this problem in this world

BIG HUG WITH 5-10 HANDS TO EVERYBODY!!!!

Alice

Anmi...I had to go through a similar "personal decision" a few years ago when I was in the "baby" stage...so, I certainly can appreciate all the factors you think about before starting a family.

My reasons were more job related than diabetes related. I did feel comforted by my doctors that I should not let diabetes be a factor, but no one ever has "pushed" me toward having a family (except for my mother-in-law...but that's another story)...

I think children are wonderful...but it's not a "set" rule that we must all have them..for whatever reason...it's ok either way. I chose (so far) not to have children...but, hey, I could end up as one of those middle-age-women on Good Morning America (TV show in US) with babies all around me...saying "I don't know how this happened!"...

We all would love to hear more about Romania...

anmi

Good morning everybody :), it is a beautiful shiny winter day here in Bucharest, Romania.

Alice :) (LOL for Good Morning America), of course, you reminded me about another very important fact in my life, the job which wouldn't allow me at all, for the moment, to have a baby.

There is not so much to say about Romania. There was a joke emailed some time ago which represent us the best: if the end of the world is coming, come to Romania, cause we are 50 years before :))).... From my point of view, this is the best short presentation about us... all the health system is up-side-down.

But to be honest, I should also say that diabetics have a very special good treatment. Usually, our public hospitals are horrible and nobody looks at you if you don't bribe him (meaning you don't give him some amount of money :) )... maybe it's unbelievable but it's true.

But where I was, at the diabetic section, I couldn't believe how good everybody treated us... doctors, nurses and all the staff. So, from this point of view, everything it is quite ok. The worst part is that we are the latest to hear about the news.

Maybe you won't believe me, but when I started to look for a pump, I saw that there is only ONE distributor for this here and when I asked at specialized stores about it, they were looking at me like I was an alien :)) ... something like :eek: WHAT?!?!? what is a pump???? :)))).... I told them: aaaaa... hello? We leave in 20 century.... :))) (very funny it was). By the way, about the pump, I heard about one year ago from this forum :) not because it is a normal way for diabetics to be treated here in Romania or because my doctor told me....

Lucky me, because of the job, I have to travel quite often outside the country, in Europe... so if I will decide at some moment to move to pump, I have more chances then others to buy one...

OK, enough with my stories, I will get back to work now :(

RLK

Of course, the simple fact that I want a baby or not is MY OWN VERY IMPORTANT decision which will never be discussed in this or another forum :)

You are so right! I wish that I could convince my family, friends, and coworkers that it is not their decision :D But, on the other hand, it would be nice to find people who are willing to talk about the decision-making process, whether they have children or not, and without judging opinions or feelings. Many of my friends and colleagues decided to "just see what happens" rather than making a conscious decision, and I can't make such a big commitment that way.

Ok, I'm done rambling.... ;)

nicole

I have thought the same thing many times. I'm afraid that I won't be able to have kids in the future because I'm diabetic. I haven't heard anything about not being able to, but idk. I'm curious too.

anmi

Hi :)

I considered and reconsidered the problem...

Bottom line, when I will be ready for this, I will do it :) ...final decision :)

I am not saying I will do it tomorrow or next month but I will do it because I really really want it...

Wish you all the best and happiness.

Alice

My parents have always said they had "six little accidents"...so sometimes our planning has to take a detour! Good luck...you really provided us with a lot of thought on this subject...it is a very important decision...

Jan B
Hi :)

I considered and reconsidered the problem...

Bottom line, when I will be ready for this, I will do it :) ...final decision :)

I am not saying I will do it tomorrow or next month but I will do it because I really really want it...

Wish you all the best and happiness.

Anmi,

BIG HUGS TO YOU!!! I'm so happy for your decision. Anyone as serious as you have been making this decision, will be a wonderful mother.

anmi
Anmi,

BIG HUGS TO YOU!!! I'm so happy for your decision. Anyone as serious as you have been making this decision, will be a wonderful mother.

Thank you very much Jan! Same to you too...

I am really wondering myself now ... will I or not be a good mother? ... don't worry, I will not open a thread based on that ... :) :) :)

I think I am thinking too much ... :))))

Chris Graham

Hi Heather,

I had a baby 7 months ago. I had a great expierence and my daughter only weighed 7lbs, 8oz. I was dx with T1 at 32...almost 2 years ago.

Couple things...

You are normal to worry. Pregnancy is a very worrisome time in general. Check out the web site Diabetic Mommy for some real world examples of being pregnant with diabetes. It is very do-able.

Second, I read studies that said the gentic link is stronger through the male gene. A women has a 2% chance of passing it on and a male has a 7%. Odds are in your favor!

Third, there are a lot of studies you can participate in. I did a DHA study (would increased levels of DHA ward off diabetes in children of diabetics?), there is one called Trigger. Check out Trial Net for more info.

Lastly, I would do whatever it takes to prevent my daughter from getting Diabetes. I am coming to terms that some of my obessions in this quest has to do with control. At the end of the day, we don't have control over much...especially our infalliable bodies.

If my baby develops diabetes, we will deal with it. I'll be a good resource for her. Right now, I'm just enjoying getting to know her. She is a joy and a blessing and I will never regret bringing her into this world.

Good luck...please feel free to email me if you would like to talk.

Chris

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.