Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mom E

Can the honeymoon period last for years?

JediSkipdogg

Anything is possible, I highly doubt 4 years though. But if supplemented with insulin to help take strain off the pancreas it might be possible. There's also the factor of age as it seems the old one is diagnosed type 1 the longer thier honeymoon lasted.

Also remember, only type 1s (aka type 1.5, LADA) truely have a honeymoon.

morrisma

I've never heard of one lasting that long but since it's related to human biology, anything is possible....especially considering the variability of everything else in there. As Jedi said, by taking the strain off the failing but not yet dead beta cells either with pills or injections, you may be able to boost the honeymoon's time.

Eventually time runs out.

Mike

Mom E

Thank you for your responses everyone. My son was doing great on the honeymoon period then he did something stupid and drank a lot of vodka(.203)After a hospital visit and 5 days later, his blood sugar levels have been going up and up. I wonder if the alcohol hurt his pancreas even more and made quick work of his honeymoon period.

matingara

good question!

i doubt the alcohol "hurt" his pancreas. more likely he went hypoglycemic due to a mismatch in BGL and insulin.

just my opinion.

--joel.

shiftzor
good question!

i doubt the alcohol "hurt" his pancreas. more likely he went hypoglycemic due to a mismatch in BGL and insulin.

just my opinion.

--joel.

I agree there are so many things that can affect bg levels, normally alcohol will make bg levels drop (raises at first depending on the type of alcohol). After 5 days there would be no alcohol left in the body and subsequently all its affects are gone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.