Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mho357

What is the origin of your forum name?

Barberian

I’ve been playing video games since pong came out. Barber is my last name, Barberian was my game name. Being most games are online now, and Barberian and all it’s variants are always snatched up fast, I’ve moved on to other names. Barberian is also an antithesis (direct opposite), or alter ego of how I try to behave in real life. :D I hate conflict, rude people, people who revel in their lack of culture, etc. One last reason… It’s the way I behave sometimes when I lose my temper.:mad:

hodgsonsurvivor

I wasn't going to tell everyone, but if you tell one, you tell all. lol Hodgson is my married name. I'm divorced now. I'm still here to talk about it...hence, hodgsonsurvivor.

Subby

When I was a young kid, my three older siblings had a theory. When I was evil or cheeky or played up, they thought the "evil" me came out. It was like an alter ego, a Hyde to my Jeckyll... it was... Subby!

I don't know why Subby. It's not like my real name. It just... was.

Years later and I discovered BBSes or Bulletin Board Systems which were like seperate websites hosted by people about town, you'd dial straight into their computer (this is before the WWW took off). I enjoyed chatting about all sorts of things in a way very similar to a modern forum. But - I was still young and at home, and got into trouble for being up to the wee hours using the computer/modem.

My parents had a phone by their bed, a certain model that sent junk down the line and disconnected the modem every 15.5 minutes. So, I had to work out a way to disconnect this phone from the line without them knowing... their room was 1.5 stories down, lots of creaking floors, it took about 10 minutes of ninja moves to get to the point I could disconnect the phone without waking them, then sneak back up to use the computer and post messages or play games on my BBSes.... then do the same thing afterwards.

I was definitely being "Subby" doing all that. It made perfect sense that it was Subby posting those messages and engaging in such clandestine, sneaky, covert operations. So Subby is often my username when using forums and the like, and it's especially fitting when I'm posting into the small hours of the morning when I should be getting my sleep (like right now!).

alura

No big secret - just my first and middle names - and I don't capitalize them on purpose. (probably just my way of being different!):itsme:

Ohana

Ohana comes from Hawaiian. It apparently means "family" and porch or basement....(foundation of a house, hence family I assume)

My husband can sound JUST LIKE Stitch from the Disney movie "Lilo and Stitch" and he quite often acts like him when he gets wound up. Right after we got married he would quote that movie a lot, and I was his "Ohana"

:)

robbytype2

mine is from lack of imagination i guess my real name is robby and i have been diagnosed with type 2 all though sometimes i wonder

brainhiccups

I chose 'brainhiccups' for the obvious reason: I have them too often. It also sounds better to me than brainfarts.

cherokee_psh

I know its long ...

Mine came out of a car accident. It happened in upper Maryland, a semi ran us off the road. We flipped end over end, my daughter(11 then, 21 now) was thrown out when the back gate on the jeep left. She had taken the safety belt off to sleep. Luckily there was alot of snow. She dislocated her shoulder and had a head wound that turned out to be nothing. When someone notices her tiny scar she says it is where the angels kissed her.

It turns out the only 2 good pieces of glass left is where our heads were when it started. It was one mangled pile, and we basically walked away with minimal injuries. Based on the lack of injuries I determing Jeep makes one heck of a vehicle.

I let my daughter name the new car. She named it purple semi hater.....so cherokee_psh

silvershewolf

My handle name originated from a Wiccan name I had chosen for myself. Actually it was darksilvershewolf but I thought peeps would be scared of me so I shortened it. I don't practice anymore I just enhance my knowledge. I usually do reading on psychic stuff and parapsychology and things :P

- Allison

amccrazgrl

amc= my initals

craz= crazy

grl= i'm a girl

I've had this name since I first started using AIM back in like '97. Back in '97 as a freshman flutie in marching band the section leader used to say I was a crazy girl so thats how I got "crazgrl".

shel

I don't use a "nom de plume." My screen name is an abbreviated version of my regular name.

I've never really understood why people use screen names instead of their regular names, especially those who include their regular names in their sig or in their messages.

BooBoo

Hey mho!

My nick is short for Boo-Boo-Kitty-Fudge (that would be the non-curse version)....a quote from the movie Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back....I vary it from BooBoo, KooKooBitty, KooBooBitty....blah..you get it. Nice thread - and interesting nicks :P

Evermont
Hey mho!

My nick is short for Boo-Boo-Kitty-Fudge (that would be the non-curse version)....a quote from the movie Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back....I vary it from BooBoo, KooKooBitty, KooBooBitty....blah..you get it. Nice thread - and interesting nicks :P

I like you already BooBoo. Based only on this, your first post - and your profile. While I reserve the right to reverse course, for now, you're cool with me.

Welcome to DF!

Lady

my hubby started calling me the lady to all my sons friends about 22 years ago and it became Lady to everyone even my boys call me Lady now they are 28, 26, and 17

Rad Warrier

Origin of my name? My parents. They named me 'Radhakrishnan' meaning Lord Krishna with his sweetheart Radha.

'Radhakrishnan' was a mouthful when I came to north America. Someone shortened it to just 'Rad'.

And the last name? Here is what Wikipedia has to say about it - Variar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Unfortunately, the Wikipedia article looks something hastily and shabbily put together.

How did the humble 'Variyar' become 'Warrier'? Two and a half centuries ago when an ancestor of mine got enrolled in one of the first English schools established by the British, the English school master spelt the last name such that a native English speaker would pronounce the word as close to its original pronunciation as possible.

Regards,

Rad

Evermont
...Unfortunately, the Wikipedia article looks something hastily and shabbily put together...

Fortunately, Wikipedia can be edited by anyone. I edit wiki's almost daily. You can too! Create an account, login, and educate the world!

Just so I'm not completely :topic: I've long appreciated the value of forums (fora) like this one, but find that other tools, like wiki's can be better ways to organize the great information and collective wisdom that litters DF. I would love to see this community leverage BOTH forum and wiki tools to better organize.

Now back to cognomen...

Ti-Jae

Mine is a "nickname of a nickname" sort of thing established in real life about 20 years ago. When I was 12ish, my favorite animal was the tiger, so several friends called me Tigger. My middle name is Jo. Ti-Jae is a fancy way of spelling T.J.

mooncat

People born under the sign of Cancer in July are also often called "Moon Children." I've always liked that a lot better than either Cancer or Crab :) I'm also a cat lover and kitty mom and the 'cat' nickname is common in my family, i.e. my mother is "momcat", from the old Kliban drawings. So Mooncat just seemed to fit me. I'm also known as Moonchilde in some places on da innernetz.

AngelKitty

Origin of Angel Kitty.

Cat lover and big fan of Hello Kitty (Japanese).

My sister started calling me Kitty years ago, (she too is a Hello Kitty fan) and we went through a phase of calling each other Kitty - but she then decided that she was the "Evil Kitty" (and loved it) and that I should be called "Angel Kitty" (to avoid confusion and frankly I think she liked being called evil..? )

Shed

Ummm, I dunno.. Basically there's this song called Follow the Wolves by a band called Demon Hunter.

The pre-chorus goes like " Shed Rejection, learn to follow the wolves ".. I just took Shed :T .....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.