Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nantomsuethom

obsessed with checking bs

nantomsuethom

My son was diagnosed almost a year ago (sept. 24,2003). He has just recently become obsessed with checking his bs, almost 20x a day!!!! He uses a vaculance so it doesnt really hurt him when he checks, but he is driving me crazy!! He is afraid he will go low and pass out, which has never happened. He is showing other signs of anxiety and obsessive behaviors. Has anyone else seen this behavior in their children? Does it end eventually?

Nancy

Belinda

Nancy, Welcome to the forum. Wow 20x's a day. How old is he? I check mine anywhere from 6 and up but some days I may only check it 4 times. If I get really busy and involved in my work. When I have more idle time I check it more often. I am sure some get obsessed about it but I am really laid back so that may be what saves me from checking it more.

nantomsuethom

Hi Belinda, He is 10 and is 5th grade. He checks in school 10 - 12x a day. He says he always feels low. His diabetic educater feels it may be that his sugar is dropping fast after bolusing.

zookeeper671

Hiya Nancy~

There were a few times last year where I was checking my bsl every hour, but that was when I was working/riding with a fire department rescue unit and couldn't risk having a low while on duty. (I was having a heap of lows at the time.)

Then for a couple of months afterward I was testing every 2 to 3 hours. After a couple of months of doing that, and feeling somewhat in control of my bsl, I began testing about 6 to 8 times daily, and I'm still in that pattern to this day.

Maybe if your son were to experience a major low (in a controlled environment, such as his doc's office) and understand how one feels and how he reacts to one, he might not have such a great deal of anxiety toward it? Just tossing out an idea. :)

Angie

nantomsuethom

Thanks Angie, Thomas has actually had some lows. Once he went to 29, felt shaky and sweaty but was playing on the computer when he decided he needed to check his bs. I just hope it is a phase and will get over it.

Nancy

zookeeper671

Ahhh... ok. So he knows what a major low feels like then.

Another thought crossed my little mind. School just started for this year. Maybe once he's settled in and has gained comfort and familiarity with the school's routine, he'll mellow up a bit on the testing? Could be the anxiety of possibly embarrassing himself in his new class?

I think I've blown out all of my ideas. lol

As you said, hopefully it's a phase. :)

Angie

nantomsuethom

I bet that is it!! I really didnt think about that. All of his friends know about his diabetes but have never seen him have a real low! I am going to talk to him about that.

Thanks

Nancy

Eri's mom

Hi Nancy....

My daughter Eri was dx'd almost 5 yrs ago...I WISH she'd test herself at least half that much!!

We experienced the lows like crazy for the first 3.5 -4 yrs, and now we are at the hypers.

Angie gave you lots of good advice.

I'm in FL too :)

Has he ever experienced a seizure or anything like that? Eri went into shock at school a few times(never a seizure)...and I know she'd be mortified if she did...maybe that is what he is afraid of.

Sorry for babbling...I'm on the extreme opposite w/ my daughter...wish she was more like you son w/ taking her BG!

nantomsuethom

Eri's mom, I just talked to Thomas and he did say thats what he is afraid of. He doesnt want to go low in school. He has never had a seizure either (and I pray everynight that he doesnt). The only time he does go a little low is after p.e. then he has a snack. He had been staying hyper for a while but he is on a pump so we are always tweeking his insulin here and there.

I hope you get the doctor to change Eri's insulin today. Before Thomas was on the pump he used NPH and Novolog. But he hated taking extra shots for more food and was still scared to death to cheat!

Not babbling - I enjoy everyones responses!!

Thanks!!

Nancy

Eri's mom

Hi Nancy :)

Eri will be starting the pump probably next month(her endo ordered it this past month...so we're playing the waiting game).

Eri used to go low after PE also, but she ALWAYS had snacks w/ her. She was embarrassed enough in 2nd grade when she went into shock for the first time at school...they found her roaming around aimlessly. She's only had seizures in front of family, but she still gets embarrassed. Actually, in front of the neighbors b/f once or twice...but that's b/c they came over and took the other kids to their house while the paramedics were here. (that was in her first year).

Eri didn't start w/ seizures until she had diabetes for about 3 months...then it was like clockwork...every 3rd day...at the same time for a while, and we were checking her sugar around 1:30 a.m. and 4 a.m....I'm happy to say she hasn't had a seizure in over a year now :) (she had them pretty regularly the first 3.5 yrs).

I hope Thomas starts feeling more comfortable..he sounds like he knows how his body reacts when low, so that's awesome:)

I pray too that he doesn't have to experience a seizure. I HATE them...breaks my heart, but she would just drop so quickly....for example, she was HI, then went down to 528 about 2 hours after her shot of NPH and humalog, then a couple hours later she was down to 28 and in a HUGE seizure. Eri goes from one extreme to the other...

Which coast of FL are you on, if you don't mind my asking?

Robin

nantomsuethom

Hi Robin,

I am happy to hear that you got Eri's insulin changed today. Hopefully she will be in better control until her pump comes in. Which company are you going with? Thomas is using the animas pump. We met the rep at a diabetic fair and he worked with us and gave us a loaner until our insurance went through.

I cant immagine what you must have gone through when Eri was having all of those seizures!!! I will keep her in my prayers to continue to be seizure free.

We are on the west coast- Tampa Bay area.

Nancy

Mick

Robin & Nancy--

Ah, these wonderful, couragous children, bless them. I was dx'ed in 7th grade, so I missed grade school, but went thru all of middle and high school with the possibility of hypoglycemia always there. In puberty, control is even more difficult. Kids do cheat, and lie, and hide stuff, and avoid, and all that behavior which will get between them and you, and between them and their diabetes control. And I was a really good kid. What I didn't know until many many years later is that my mother went behind my back shortly after my diagnosis and had a heart-to-heart with my best friend. He was assigned to watch out for me. Mom trained him to look for the signs, and to always have sugar. He was instructed to make me eat even if I insisted I didn't need to. (That was always one of my hypo signposts--stubborness!) My friend became my bodyguard. I never knew about this until just a few years ago, when he laid it all out to me. That was 40 years ago. My friend and I remained very close, even going to college together for a little while, until Vietnam and protest movements and dropping out got between us. He became a physician, and during his confession, he admitted to me that his career choice was heavily influenced by his decade as my bodyguard. I had the car, and the driver's license, but he'd always check out my fitness to drive! And remember--this was all many years before glucose monitors, so we never really had positive feedback on anything--it was all "how do you feel?" and guesswork, reminding me to eat and making sure that I did.

I did have lows during my school years, many of them I'm sure. I was never at all embarrassed by any of it. I also had problems with after-PE lows, and tried to use that as an excuse to get out of gym for my entire high school career--nothing doing, no one would buy that, they put me into PE right after lunch! Your kids will grow up strong, tough, independent, compassionate, flexible and self-reliant. If you can tap a mature and trusted friend to look out for your kid, that's a great idea. My daughter was such a companion to HER best friend, who was a diabetic since age 8. They are both 21 now, and still very close. I think the parents were fond of my daughter because they understood that SHE knew so much about diabetes from me. They'd let their kid sleep over our house and nowhere else, because they knew we were a "diabetes-aware" home!

It's not easy, and as they get older, I think it gets harder--they are more independent, and less able to share with you. They drive. They... never mind, not to scare you too much yet! They will be wonderful and happy!

Like me.

Michael

Eri's mom

Thanks Michael!!! :)

That is really cool with what your mom did...my daughter's one best friend is like that w/ her...and her house is the only house I allow her to spend the night at...her entire family wanted education in diabetes...it is wonderful!!!

That had to be hard w/o the glucometers and such growing up, w/ basically, a guessing game!!!

I have to say, the endo's that I've met in Buffalo are really nice...I can't remember the ones name, but he is at MF/Gates Circle and my dad goes to another.

Nancy...we're on the west coast also, south of Tampa...we probably have the same endocrinologist!!!LOL

We are going w/ the minimed 512 pump. Authorization went through and now it's the waiting game...I can't stand the waiting game!!! LOL That is really cool that Thomas got a loaner until your insurance went through!!!

Has Thomas gone to any of the camps yet?

Yes, the seizures were scary at first...not to say they always aren't, but I was so focused on making sure she got out of it that it was like I was on auto pilot. The one that really scared me was when she missed the seizure and went into like a semi-coma...that's when her reading dropped to 19mg/dL SUPER fast...had 4 paramedics to get her out of that.

Now these dang hyper's...although I've been assured from the north and south and inbetween that it is most likely puberty and the 75/25....so I can't wait to get her all situated w/ this new regiman!!!

Robin

Belinda

nantomsuethom...if he is going low after he bolus' maybe you should try the dual feature (I have minimed so not sure your pump has it). This will give him the insulin he needs but will allow him to take part at the meal and the rest of the time he sets him pump too. Ihave to use this for things like potatoes, pizza, pasta and grazing at parties. Also for the school thing. Does he check his blood sugar in class or has to go to the nurse or office? You need to educate the teachers to his symptoms for a low. I teach and had a diabetic/down's syndrome student in my class and the mom was grateful that I was there to notice the signs. The little girl would always remind ME to check my BS too (I was so into the teaching I would forget about the time to check!!!)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.