Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trickyw72

10 month old on a pump

trickyw72

Hi,

My 10 month old son has just been diagnosed & has gone onto a pump straight away. We also have a 4 year old with Type 1, so life is very busy.

My question is .. I am having trouble with my little one staying still for finger pricks & also for bolusing & adjusting his pump. Has anyone else had this problem with a toddler? I have heard that with some pumps you can program in changes from your computer or mobile phone .. does anyone know if this technology is out there in the market yet? We have the Animas 2020.

Cheers,

Tracy

JediSkipdogg

No pumps can be controlled via wireless methods as you describe besides the Omnipod. The problem is, I think a "pod" on a 10 month old may be pretty large and they will definitely play with it till they get the "block" off of them.

Of course, I find it highly odd they put a 10 month old on a pump, seems to me the danger of them playing with the cord would outweigh the benefit of the pump. Do you superglue the infusion sets onto him?

mortis505

JediSkipdogg Said:

Do you superglue the infusion sets onto him?

Im sorry JediSkipdogg, but the mental imagery of using superglue to adhere the infusion set had me rolling. I almost fell out of my chair.

Tracy, Have you tried using a mobile or other infant toy(colors and/or sounds with movement) to try and distract the lil one? I don't know if that will help but its worth a shot.(no pun intended)

Alice

I don't see how a pod would be any more of a target than a standard pump...If anything, I would think he would have less problem without the tubing...

But regardless, I think it's great they are starting babies out on the pump. I'm sure they are much more conservative about dosage (just like MDI babies) than teens/adults.

I really salute you and your care for your children.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.