Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TAutry

Define "Exercise'

TAutry

Ok y'all,

What is your definition of 'exercise'?

I want to see what thoughts an opinions you have on this topic. Then, I will look for and offer information addressing some of them. I may even delve into my own verbose and fertile experience and imagination. Who knows, I may even assist some of you in 'laying bare the id' of exercise and your views of it!!!:D

Now Post Up 1-2-3, Post Down 1-2-3. . .

Travis

Tony

Well unfortunately excerise is not something you do while working.

Going back and forth to the van to get a tool. Or go up and down stairs. For now that's all I'm getting.

Now starting in the spring I will be doing landscaping. Raking leaves(normally blowing) shovling dirt, stones, mulch. Mowing (a cool sitdown unit, turns on the dime.) trimming.etc. Snow plowing.

I would like to say that would count for excerise.

When I get home from work how can I excersie? I'm always tried.

Just being active isn't that excersie?

Gina

Exercise to me is awful i hate it ...i hate sweating it makes my hair ratty and makes my underarms feel like gum stuck on the bottom of my shoe on a hot summer day.....do i do it ...yea sometimes...i mean i walk about ten city blocks to get to work and back to the train each day...its not like extensive exercise but i can see a drop in my blood sugar when i do walk or attempt the exercise routine.....each person should probably exercise at least 30 minutes a day to a routine that fits their lifestyle...so yea maybe for me walking in the morning to work and home is exercise to me but not to someone else but it fits my lifestyle you k now what i mean....maybe tonys form of exercise is raking leaves i mean its not jogging or lifting but yea i think that those are forms of exercise i mean your moving your body and not sitting!!! Speaking of all t his exercise i am buying a trampoline or a stepper machine to add to my umm sort of daily routine....its to get my body back in shape because i have become a fat (_|_) lol work those abs lol

TAutry

Hi guys,

Jon,

Drop and give me 10 mister!!!:mad: I'll deal with your response later. Actually, you express the mindset of many when it comes to exercise.;)

Tony,

Reread Gina's post. She hit the nail on the head. The key is doing something. Walking to and from the truck, raking, using a weedeater, all of that is exercise. The trick is to park the truck a little farther away and make the walk longer.:D With a very physical job, you may be getting plenty of exercise. It all depends on your goals. For instance, do you like the way your clothes fit or do you see yourself in a mirror and cringe or are you self-conscious about your appearance? Just as with most things in life, you have to know where you want to go before you can plan the route. Once you decide what, if any, changes you want to make, then planning the route will be easy. Following it will be harder.:)

Gina,

You get a gold star!!!:D

Travis

Gina
Originally posted by TAutry

For instance, do you like the way your clothes fit or do you see yourself in a mirror and cringe or are you self-conscious about your appearance?

Travis,

I hate the way my clothes fit i would like to be a size 0 again....for all you guys in the forums in weight that is like 115 pounds .....i am now a size 8 working my way into a size 10 its very depressing....the insulin makes you gain weight and the more controlled you are i think the harder it is to lose....i dont know maybe im just crazy but sometimes i wish that i can just be normal!! oh well but im not in more ways than one lol hahahaha :-

i will start exercising as soon as i get over this cold i have !!!

TAutry

Gina,

As you know, some of our physical attributes are decided by our genetics and there is darn little we can do about it. The most important thing is to be like the Serenity Prayer: Change the things that we can and accept the things that we can't.

I learned about accepting early in life. I had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was young. It left me with one leg shorter than the other. About the time the JRA remissed, Charcot Marie Tooth( a neuromuscular disorder) started up. That causes weakness in the hands, legs and overall muscle atrophy. It adds to my difficulties in walking and will probably cripple me.

The best advice of doctors was to sit down and do nothing for fear of hurting myself. You don't know me outside of here, but you know enough about my persona to believe that advice didn't suit me. I chose my own path. I played sports. I lifted weights. I did whatever I believed I could. I even tried to go into the Army National Guard. Yep, subjected myself to a medical physical that I failed.

For me, it wasn't in the cards to be an athlete, a soldier or even do physical work for a living. I chose to focus on what I could do and not what I couldn't. I continue to fight all my diseases in the way that suits me. After being lazy for a few years, I am back on track. I workout, I eat better and I try to contribute here to help and encourage others.

So, you may not get back to 115. You may have to content yourself with 125 or 130. Wouldn't it be better to be a healthy, fit, well adjusted size 8 than to be a sickly size 0? Keep plugging and fighting the good fight.;)

Travis

Tony

What i do i don't think that counts for exercise. Like Gina said you need 30 mins. a day. It prob. should be real excersie. Walking is key. Gina has it made there.

hmm.... the way I look. I'm toooooo skinny. I can't even impress other diabetics. I guess it is the Insulin that makes me skinny, or is type one diabetes that makes one skinny.

TAutry

Tony,

Gina has a point. When my sugar was up, I couldn't gain weight. Once I got that straight, I picked up some.

On the exercise, my health insurance has a program that encourages regular activity. In its list of activities and exercises, it includes such things as walking a dog twice per day for 15 minutes. It also lists things like raking leaves. They do require that the activity last for at least 30 minutes. I think what you do could qualify, you will have to look at it and maybe adjust some.

Travis

Tony
On the exercise, my health insurance has a program that encourages regular activity. In its list of activities and exercises, it includes such things as walking a dog twice per day for 15 minutes. It also lists things like raking leaves. They do require that the activity last for at least 30 minutes. I think what you do could qualify, you will have to look at it and maybe adjust some.
ya that is cause excercising is boring, so they are coming up with other ways that would help. But your not getting the full benefit. Dr. told me going up and down stairs back and forth to the truck is not exercise. You need to exercise for 30mins straight.

statdeac

What if raked leaves for 30 minutes straight? Or would you have to be running back and forth in the yard??? LOL

statdeac

OK, Tony. Is someone is playing with me? :confused:

I didn't type the last sentance in the last post about blowing the leaves. I just mysteriously appeared after the fact.

Have we got hackers 'round here or what?

TAutry

Hi guys,

I hate to disagree with a doctor, but in this case he is wrong.

If you think of carbohydrates as fuel and the muscles as engines that burn that fuel, I think it becomes a little clearer. Just as it requires gasoline to run the engine of your car, it requires carbs to run the muscles of the body. It requires less fuel to run at idle or slow speed than it does to cruise at 70 mph. For the muscles, you burn fewer carbs when sitting or lying around than you do when engaged in rapid activity. Every activity that works muscles, whether blinking your eyes or raking leaves requires fuel.

I think where the confusion lies in challenging the body. Basic movements like walking down a hall or going from the first floor of a building to the second is movement, but it really doesn't challenge. If you want to build muscle or increase endurance, you have to challenge the body. For muscles, you lift weights and increase the resistance over time to continually challenge your muscles to grow. For endurance, you push to walk farther or do more repetitions.

I believe any exercise is valuable, every step and every lift or carry. It all depends on your goals.

Travis

Tony
Originally posted by statdeac

OK, Tony. Is someone is playing with me? :confused:

I didn't type the last sentance in the last post about blowing the leaves. I just mysteriously appeared after the fact.

Have we got hackers 'round here or what? ya anything would help raking leave can be alot of working, That why I blow them

OK, Tony. Is someone is playing with me?
Sorry:( I click edit and not the quote button. They are right next to each other. I'll fix it

Tony

Travis seeings that you put that way I would have agree with you. Every well said.

We need to challenge our selfs. Push our selfs harded in each activity we do, what ever it may be. So we can reach our goals

TAutry

Tony,

Thanks.

The trick is motivating ourselves to push ourselves. For me, the improvement in my blood sugar readings has been enough to motivate me. Being able to get into 34 pants again has been added encouragement. Feeling stronger, seeing sagging muscles take shape again and having my wife comment on me "not having any fat", have been super motivators too.

Figure out what reward you want for yourself, what 'pot of gold' lies at the end of your rainbow. That will motivate you.:D

Travis

statdeac
Originally posted by Tony

Sorry:( I click edit and not the quote button. They are right next to each other. I'll fix it

No sweat, Tony. Glad it was just you.

statdeac
...and having my wife comment on me "not having any fat"....

Travis, not ANY fat at all. Man, even in my 34s, I couldn't honestly say that. Some of that must be hereditary. Have you tried water displacement for confirmation!! :P

Harold

Here's a neat little calculator; http://www.caloriesperhour.com/

You can figure how many calories you burn while sleeping. Mines 78 calories per hour, which is equivalent to .98 apple. So you can figure all of you daily activity. Subtract it from your food intake and whats left over is what you need to burn off in exercise to maintain weight. Want to lose weight the rule of thumb is to burn 500 calories more a day than you take in. Which is what's considered a healthy weight loss rate.

Gina

lol .....harold i did mine with vigorus sexual activity lol

this is what it said lol

if i had sex for 20 hrs i would lose 2041 calories lol

Female 27, 5' 5", 150 lb BMI=25.0 BMR=1,478

Sexual Activity - vigorous

2,041 calories in 20 hr

This activity list is equivalent to:

0.96 Deep fried onions with sauce or

3.5 Big Macs or

26 Apples

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.