Diabetes forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pumper

A Thread for Diabetic Weightlifters, Bodybuilders, Powerlifters & Fitness Lifters

Dlife619

Most days 2400, but when I'm gaining I splurge on ribs or steak, so that number goes way up occasionally, but the way my body/metabolism go anything over that and I gain a high amount of fat. A lot of my protein comes from whey shakes, so very low calorie. All those calorie predictors are averages and starting points. Some people need way more, others way less.

Amghammon

Hey,

I could use some tips. I have lifted weight for years irreaguarly, but started doing more determined and continous lifting a couple of months back. I usually train at daytime, from about 13.30 to 15.00. I'm type 1 diabetic and using insulinpens.

Exercising has helped my ac1 to come down, but it's still too high. I know it's really a trial and error kind of thing with insulin, but tips would be nice.

So lets start: when exercising my bs levels are okay, bs comes down a little, but I have used isotonic sports drink and it has helped to stable the bs during the exercise. But after the exercise my blood sugar takes a pike, but that's not too bad, cause after the workout I take proteinshake and take insulin for that.

But the real problem for me is the blood sugar levels after the workout. I take my lantus at 16.00 (I have thought about moving that to different time) and usually eat around 17 (give or take couple of hours from workout). And then the blood sugar levels start to drop, I can't take insulin at all or very little after the meal, cause my blood sugar comes down fast enough anyway. And it continues to drop, so that I have to eat way more that I would like and usually I have to take glucosetablets too, cause the blood sugas keeps dropping in the evening and night.

So I could really use some tips for getting the bloodsugar levels more stable, cause it ain't good in a long run that I have to stack up in the evening so that I don't get low's in the night...

Kit

I don't know much about taking insulin, but maybe reduce or don't take any with the protein drink after your workout?

My immediate thought would be to reduce insulin somewhere, but I'm unsure of exactly where it should be done the best.

Amghammon

I don't know much about taking insulin, but maybe reduce or don't take any with the protein drink after your workout?

My immediate thought would be to reduce insulin somewhere, but I'm unsure of exactly where it should be done the best.

If I don't take any with proteinshake, my bloodsugar will rise way too much. I have taken protein with milk, so when I start my new routine next week, I will take it with water and that could be with the evening sugar levels...

Yeah, I too think that reducing insulin would be the way to go, but my doctor keeps pushing my lantus up. I tried to explain to him that over the time my bs levels could be come more stable by reducing the lantus docage and just doing trial and error with eating in the evening...

graham44

just wanted to throw this guy out there. hes a friend of mines son in law. type 1 power lifter and is getting into pod casts and some writing about it. he worked at vitamin world and I spoke to him there 2-3x...very knowledgeable and loves to share it so look him up if any of need advice and tips. hes been a type1 since he was 8 and has some other thyroid issues as well...broke some kind os world record in power lifting (although i think there are 8 million organizations that all have their own records)

https://www.facebook.com/GeoffEdwinRoberts

alexandra.claybert

Disappointed to not see many women in this thread... lol! Not a body builder... just lifting as heavy as I can to gain strength. :) Love the effect it has on my blood sugar control!

Dking13

Guess I'll post this here and see what kind of responses I get! Stats: 31 yo, T1D for 5 years, 6'4" 230 lbs....other stats Bench: 285 lbs Deadlift: 360 lbs Squat: 320. I just started back into lifting about 3 months ago and did more of a powerlifting routine for about 2.5 months to try and get some strength back. I did 5x5 on bench, dreads, press, and squats and 6-8 rep range on rows, incline, pulls ups etc... I'm not where I wanna be yet obviously but I'm making progress. I'm now moving more toward a bodybuilding routine while keeping my core compound lifts at 6-8 rep range and 8-12 on my assistance lifts. As most diabetics know, after anaerobic exercise my BG tends to be spiked even if I take insulin before (which I always do cuz the pumps you get are ridiculous). After lifting I immediately take a carb and protein shake with anywhere from 14-18iu of insulin. Not only does it keep me fuller (muscles fuller not appetite)and keep my pumps for a longer period but it also helps with protein synthesis and moving nutrients to the muscle quicker. My BG is usually always spiked after a good lifting session but my main concern/question I guess is this.... After lifting, taking my bolus and eating my post workout shake/meal, if my BG is still high an hour or so later (I will correct with another bolus) am I getting the nutrients I need or is my high BG basically acting like a diareutic and I'm not getting sufficient nutrients or what's actually going on post workout with high BG when it comes to a situation like this? I'm a huge advocate for immediate post workout carbs and protein. I can tell a major difference if I wait an hour or two before any kind of food after lifting. I just feel exhausted and sore if I don't eat after. Any body know what's going on with nutrition post workout with high BG? I also wanted to add that even if my BG is high an hour after eating and taking my bolus, when I correct ol with another bolus my BG levels out very nicely for the rest of the day and I don't require as much insulin as previously

macksvicky

I'm a type 2, maybe that's why it's different...? When I walked 10 miles before work my BG always went up. Now that I'm lifting weights, it goes down, came out of the gym one night at a 40, I did not feel that low coming, felt it after I got in the car though! So odd that weights do that to me, I can do hard house cleaning, heavy yard work, etc. and it always goes up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.