Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pumper

A Thread for Diabetic Weightlifters, Bodybuilders, Powerlifters & Fitness Lifters

pumper
(for me I'm a no rest lifter)

Donovan,

Great advice dude!!!

I'm terrible at NOT being a "no rest lifter." I tend to rest way too much. Usually, by the time I get around to lifting, its the end of the day and I'm tired (and not always in the mood to lift by then). So, I end up resting way too long between sets - and I know that that hurts my workouts.

By the way, do you consider yourself a weightlifter, fitness lifter or bodybuilder? I guess that it depends on your goals.

I tend to do arms and shoulders at home (since I have a "small" home gym) and chest, back and legs at the gym. My problem, right now, is that I'm in a relatively busy time in my career and life. So, lately, I've been having a hard time scheduling in workouts. I've been getting in an average of one arm workout a week (at home) instead of at least two and haven't made it to the gym for a leg workout in a while...I find it frustrating, but right now it just seems like i'm facing one work deadline after the other and simply post-poning my workouts till "tomorrow." You're a family guy, how do you schdule it all in?

RyanN

Any advice for me?

I am a REALLY active man in his mid-thirties.

I walk about 6kms in my daily city routine.

I train in martial arts and love to bicycle.

I also lift weights.

My problem is that I stay at the same weight

(165-170). I'll gain muscle, but then my body takes it from

fat in some other part of my body; so I get more grizzly looking as opposed to more puffy and presentable.

I eat a lot and keep the BG at an okay level (upper 100's,

lower 200's prior to physical activity), but I can't figure out where I can find room in my insulin regimen to eat more.

I tried eating several small meals during the day instead of 3 biggies, but my Humalog bolus' kept overlapping (even after 3 1/2 hours between meals) so I abandoned that.

Lately, I've been adding a hard-boiled egg to my lunch and dinner, but I know I need more.

My situation is funny, because I actually want to get fatter.

Any ideas how to do this without making the BG crazy or

eating a tub of artery-clogging lard?

1type2go

My situation is funny, because I actually want to get fatter.

Any ideas how to do this without making the BG crazy or

eating a tub of artery-clogging lard?

Well put ..........

clean carbs ..lots :after working hard ,be it walking or anything at home after exercises ,good fat and cut out your cardio other than your walking (commuting).Look into glutamine,this is a poss.It prevents you from breaking down protein in,when working to hard or to long with out antiquate carb fuel,EAT MORE . Muscle saver for some hospital Burn units

got ta run Donovan

RyanN

Hey, thanks again for the geat info.

I figured out how to count my carbs,

and I found out I need about 380-400 grams

per day just to suport my very active lifestyle;

I've been only eating around 280-300 grams--and

duh! I wonder why I stay at he same weight or lose it

easily during over-active times (those weeks where

the sun just won't stop shining and everyday is a great day to

go mountain biking, and swimming, and walking and . . .).

So I am now figuring how to put those into my diet

with the requisite amounts of insulin to help get all that energy into my cells. I love eating, and eating healthy foods,

so I am a happy camper now :D

Thanks again to everyone on this GREAT forum.

BlueSky
.... My situation is funny, because I actually want to get fatter. ...

I agree that the best way to gain fat is to increase carbs. But why would you want to do this? The problem with fat is that getting rid of it is really hard. And it gets harder as you age. My suggestion is to take a long term view of this ;) . Be happy with your body the way it is. As you age, you will lose muscle and you will gain fat. It happens to everyone. Use this opportunity to build the muscle you need to set yourself up for the aging process. There is little to be gained by adding fat that your body really doesn't want. Especially since doing this will make maintaining satisfactory BG control more difficult.

Sugarhead

Type1toGo - how did you cut to only 12%BF. I am working on moving from 18% to 12% right now. My plan is

Day 1 Chest/Back/Abs

Day 2 Cardio

Day 3 Arms/Shoulders/Abs

Day 4 Yoga

Day 5 Legs/Back

Day 6 Cardio

Day 7 Rest

But its the diet, did you cut the carbs way down? I think cutting the starches is a good idea, some fruit (1 serving) should do it+ protein shake with 26g protien and 45 grams carb after workout. What was your senario? I am 44 years old and 179lbs, 5'11"

1type2go

Hey Sugarhead

I guess it's all in the way I work out ...and diet and consistancy.

I do cycle my intake and really look at timing ...

cardio day, with eggs,egg whites and toast at 6:am,snack granola bar(hard)9:am Coffee lrg strbuks.non fat milk,

lunch two slices whl.whet.can of salmon10:30,afternoon snack water,granola bar...again,and hit the Gym 4:pm till 5:pm 40 min cardio try to hit and cycle heart rate from 70%-80% of max heart rate.

For me thats 140-155 bpm...for you depending on f.i.t ness level thats 117-135 cycle up for 1 min and down for 2-4 min.

Make sure you have a box of raisins or juice besides your water.

Dinner...chicken breast on a bed of fresh spinach!!!

Its all about timing

I have ta run

1type2go

Originally Posted by Sugarhead

Type1toGo - how did you cut to only 12%BF. I am working on moving from 18% to 12% right now. My plan is

Day 1 Chest/Back/Abs

-This is the time to hit carbs for re-fueling muscles/with in 1/2Hr (protein too you need it don't starve your catabolic body

Day 2 Cardio

- Try for more low GI foods and protein , 40min long term or split the 40 min.cardio low carb day.

Day 3 Arms/Shoulders/Abs

- same as day one always low fat (good fats OK)

Day 4 Yoga

You're going to be tired ,rest....

Day 5 Legs/Back

- I think you have to hit legs in a minor capacity each day lifting (not cardio days)

Day 6 Cardio

- low carb day and the next day cheat with a burger hold the fries though(this is a great way to plan and not eat like this on any other day...also the guilt factor to get you back into the Gym,.do not cheat on any other day,fuel muscles or you will set your body into starvation (catabolic state converting muscle into carbohydrates,

Exercise, protein metabolism, and muscle growth. [int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2001] - PubMed Result

..look into the effects of Glutamine)

Day 7 Rest

- Eat now for day one ,no carbs after 4:30 if you can get by.

There is some relevants as to what time you work out ,and how long you rest for between sets.(just enough):D .

I hit it hard and do opposing muscle groups (back to back)

What do ya eat??when do you w\out??

Donovan

Sugarhead

I have started working out in the morning 5:30am or 6am. I am changing my diet slightly to lower GI foods and have starte experimenting with square wave bolusing. When I do square wave I start about 30 min before I eat. Also, my post workout drink is 45 gr carb and I start my bolus (regular) 15 min before I am done, but I think will move this to 30min before completion. I have taken the fast acting starch out of my diet. Its protien, sweet potatoes, celery, salad, tomatoes, more meat.

What do you do if your bsugar raises above your target, do you square bolus to bring them down or regular bolus to bring them down?

pumper
I have started working out in the morning 5:30am or 6am.

Impressive. That's more will power than what I've got...

I am changing my diet slightly to lower GI foods and have starte experimenting with square wave bolusing. When I do square wave I start about 30 min before I eat. Also, my post workout drink is 45 gr carb and I start my bolus (regular) 15 min before I am done, but I think will move this to 30min before completion. I have taken the fast acting starch out of my diet. Its protien, sweet potatoes, celery, salad, tomatoes, more meat.

What do you do if your bsugar raises above your target, do you square bolus to bring them down or regular bolus to bring them down?

Just my two cents here...

I regular bolus everything. So, if my BG is above target, I just give a regular bolus. The only time that I've done a square bolus is when eating something that will take a while to digest. For eg., pizza has alot of fat in it and therefore slow to digest - so, if I regular bolus, I go low by the end of the meal then go high several hours later. So, a square wave will release the insulin slower and makes it less likely to go low by the end of the meal. Another example of where I might use a square wave is a a dinner party that is going to last a few hours.

pumper

Bro,

Thanks for these links. I've looked at the abstracts but can't put my hands on the articles (though I might have one final recourse...) If I get any of these articles as PDFs, I'll pass them along.

Another one of interest that I can't put my fingers on...

Nutritional supplementation and resistance exercis...[Can J Appl Physiol. 2000] - PubMed Result

I'll be looking over these articles in the next few days. I'm curious to see what you think.

Thanks buddy.

Mike

pumper

Sorry about the multiple postings...

..look into the effects of Glutamine)

Are you using Glutamine?

What about creatine?

Any other supplements that people like to use?

Sugarhead

I am using Creatine (Fusion Purple K), whey/carb mix post workout, Omega 3 when not eating fish, caffine (only because I workout after my morning coffee at 5:30am. I just can't start the day without it. Also insulin is given just before workout is complete if you call that a supplement. I am thinking of a Test booster, but am not sure yet.

HockeyShot

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to this thread who has decided to get back into the weight training arena. Up until about 5 years ago my wife and I were very religious about working out and watching our diets. At the time I was 38 yo, 5'9", 185 with minimum body fat. Then a series of unlucky events took me away from the gym; two knee surgeries and being diagnosed as a Type 1.

The diabetes thing left me pretty depressed, between that an the surgeries I lost roughly 20lbs of muscle. Now I've dusted off my old routines and have gotten my butt into the gym.

Looking for discussion/advice on:

1 - handling the lows that occur during lifting sessions

2 - Creatine - "friend or foe"

3 - Supplement powder/post workout drinks

4 - What are the caution areas on lifting w/diabetes

This thread looks like it has some great discussions all ready and I look forward to providing my info/experience in the future.

H.S

Jamison

I have a story here...

I was DXd a month and a half ago and I am now 16. I used to be a vegetarian for about 8 years and I started working out to get bigger about a year ago. Before I started working out I was 103 lbs 5'4'', 4% body fat. At my peak, I was 130, 5'6''. Right before I was rushed to the emergency room, I was 115 (my body was really shut out). Now, I am probably in the top shape of my life with about 3% body fat, because of my diet, and 135 lbs and 5'8''. I also have been a runner in the fall season.

Rob in Iowa
I am type 1, 44 year, 5'11" 175lbs, 18% BF and lift weights.

I was wondering if there is a way to take insulin with the effect of building muscle faster but not the fat? I want to get leaner and muscular. Thoughts, has anyone tried any approaches?

Sugarhead,

We have a lot in common - I'm a little older at 49, but I am a type 1 and 5'11'. However, I am 235 lbs with 12% body fat.

When I was a pup I ran the 1500 meters at a Big 8 (now Big XII) university. When I graduated I weighed 177 lbs with 4% body fat.

Here is a prescription that our trainers used...

When you want lean, flexible, yet strong muscle, you lift lighter weights at a faster pace with more reps. If you typically bench press 125 three sets of twelve reps at a rate of 3 seconds per rep, drop the weight to 1 set each of 85, 95, 115 for twenty reps at a rate of 2 seconds per rep. Do the same weight sets 3 days a week skipping a day in between - the off day is a perfect time for cardio.

Sugarhead

Rob - Thanks for that. Well we are similar but heck man you you got a truck load more muscle than me for sure. I started Tony Horton's P90X two weeks ago and your post is interesting because he does a mix of multiple reps and some low reps with larger weight. I think that should work for muscle gain and leaning out.

Something else I came across was an article about lowering insulin levels before working out. For fat to be released for energy insulin levels needs to be low. I noticed last week I worked out in the morning and did notice some fat loss. This week I worked out more at lunch time and did not notice as much. In the morning my insulin levels should be the lowest of the day. I have heard of working out in the morning before but because of glycogen levels not insulin levels. I think for type 1's it might be a helpful way to use the fat deposits for energy. I am switching back next week to early AM workouts.

Rob in Iowa

That's interesting about the timing of the workout. I used to workout at 5:30AM, and I noticed that when I got done my bg was usually 35 points higher than when I started. When school started my older daughter went to college, and that left me with the responsibility of getting the younger one to school. As a result, I switched my workouts to my lunch break (fortunately I am on flex time at work). Here is the kicker... I need to eat about 30g of carbohydrate just to get through the workout, and when I get back to work my bg is around 60. This is true for both my lifting workout and my cardio (I use a spinning class with a very cruel instructor for cardio) I'll have to experiment some more.

Sugarhead

Rob - yes that makes sense, from what I have read the liver will release glucose when the muscles signal stress (weight training) is used up you will start to go low. For fat to burn you need higher sugars, I am not sure what level but I am guessing over 100 or 8mmol that should allow fat to be released for energy. I am not really sure about this but its how I am reading the material. I think its right to say if you want to build muscle training after eating and taking insulin and if you want to burn fat then train whle insulin levels are lowest.

BlueSky
... For fat to burn you need higher sugars, I am not sure what level but I am guessing over 100 or 8mmol that should allow fat to be released for energy. ...

Are you sure you have got that right :confused: ? When blood sugar goes up, the insulin level rises. And insulin switches lipolysis off. It stops the burning of fat. The lower blood sugar is, the less circulating insulin is required. And the more likely you are to burn fat. This is why losing weight is easier when you eat low-carb. ;)

Sugarhead

Blue - no I am not really sure of anything, but maybe we can work through this. The reason Blood Glucose levels raise and stay that way is because there is not enough insulin to bring them down, ie low insulin. In a non-diabetic when blood glucose levels go up after eating or excersising then insulin is released but since natural insulin only has a half life of 8 minutes its gone quickly and lipolysis can start and fat burning will start as the level decreases. I think the problem with injected insulin is the half life time, its got to be over 2 hours. So when we put a heavy demand on our bodies from weights our muscles become more sensitive to insulin and the muscles take up the sugar quickly and he Blood glucose levels drop leaving us in a hypo state or high insulin which switches off lipolysis. Next time I meet with my Endo I will ask her but that is not until the end of May. In the mean time I will use Google to see if I can find out some info. What I am suggesting however is to start the workout with slightly higher blood glucose levels so when it drops you will not be hypo but will not be so low that lipolysis shuts off. Heck it might not even be possible since you would have to know exactly what level all this stuff happens. One more consideration, the reason we are told not to excersise with higher BG is so we don't go into Ketosis when we burn to much fat. I personally check my BG about three times during my workouts, my workouts are generally 60 min (I am doing P90X). Once at the start to make sure they are at a safe level, once about 30 min into it to make sure they have not dropped to far and one at the end before I take the Post workout shake. Often I find the middle one my sugars are low dropping from 6mmol to around 2.9mmol. Then I need to take some sugar stuff to keep them up.

Diabetes really is a journey.

BlueSky
... The reason Blood Glucose levels raise and stay that way is because there is not enough insulin to bring them down, ie low insulin. ....

Ok, I can see where you are coming from. But I think it is important to realise that it is the lack of insulin that encourages lipolysis, not high blood glucose. High blood glucose is a secondary effect. If you are dependent on injected insulin, simply raising blood glucose by eating something won't change your insulin levels.

The best way to ensure that insulin levels are low is to not inject it ;) . So if you want to lose weight, it makes sense to eat after working out, rather than beforehand. It would also be better to do resistance exercise first, as it has two desirable effects. One is that it tends to increase blood glucose, which you need in preparation for aerobic exercise. The other is that you will be in fat burning mode by the time you start your cardio work. Because insulin levels are low, the weight should just drop off :D .

Sugarhead

Blue - yes you are right it’s about low insulin levels not high BG. I think based on this; it makes sense to do the exercises in the morning before Breakfast. I am pretty sure that is when my insulin levels are the lowest. To bad I am not a morning person!

I actually am doing weights one day then Cardio the next. As far as weights are concerned I am doing splits.

George83

Hi fellow lifters, I have a question, I have a small idea of what stabilizer muscles do, but could someone explain it in alittle detail for me and what are some techniques I could use to strengthen them up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.