Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pumper

A Thread for Diabetic Weightlifters, Bodybuilders, Powerlifters & Fitness Lifters

mikeb

I have been a Type I since 09/2004. Started seriously lifting a year ago at 148 lbs. I am now 218 lbs @ 11%BF. I work with a trainer 5 days a week. My question is this...Does being a Diabetic on a pump have alot to do with the rapid developement or is it genetics?? :confused:

pumper
I have been a Type I since 09/2004. Started seriously lifting a year ago at 148 lbs. I am now 218 lbs @ 11%BF. I work with a trainer 5 days a week. My question is this...Does being a Diabetic on a pump have alot to do with the rapid developement or is it genetics?? :confused:

Wow- you went from 148 to 218 in a year? You say that you've been seriously lifting with a trainer 5 days a week - so obviously your commitment has helped. So, I think that your awesome progress is probably due to 1-commitment, 2-being a diabetic on a pump (insulin is one of the most anabolic hormones out there) and 3-great genetics.

Welcome to the forum - hope that you'll stick around and tell us all how you've done this...

Impressive.

pumper
... a post-workout shake to get me some good carbs in it. I will do my insulin to cover it and will try putting it in my triceps maybe just because they will be pumped from working them. I know someone said to inject in the muscle but others disagree and I don't know so I figured I would try it for myself for a little while cause I dont believe it could hurt me to try. And also since I am on a scale of about 1 - 10 or around there for my humalog, say if I have 60 carbs in my shake including my milk and oatmeal, if I should do 60 units of humalog or a little more? I know the 60 would take care of what I eat but does anyone have info if I should inject more in me to maybe shoot me a little low or is that stupid? haha...remember I'm trying to get bigger so just lemme know anything if you can thanks

The only thing about injecting into the muscle is that the insulin will work fast - you won't be taking better advantage of the growth stimulation of the insulin by injecting it there.

Your other question isn't stupid.

You are on a scale of 1 to 10, and taking in 60 g of carbs - so you would normally take 6 U of humalog. So after a workout, you are insulin sensitive, so take maybe 5 U of humalog - just a little bit less because that insulin will be working super hard right after a workout.

But, you are on the right path. Alot of diabetic bodybuilders, myself included, make certain that they eat some carbs right after lifting so that they can take insulin (I'm on a pump) and take advantage of its huge muscle building hormonal qualities.

Ask if how to do this doesn't make sense.

BlueSky
... I know someone said to inject in the muscle but others disagree and I don't know so I figured I would try it for myself for a little while cause I dont believe it could hurt me to try. And also since I am on a scale of about 1 - 10 or around there for my humalog, say if I have 60 carbs in my shake including my milk and oatmeal, if I should do 60 units of humalog or a little more? I know the 60 would take care of what I eat but does anyone have info if I should inject more in me to maybe shoot me a little low or is that stupid? haha...remember I'm trying to get bigger so just lemme know anything if you can thanks

Be aware that if you inject insulin into muscle, it will act a lot quicker. I find that doing this reduces the action time by about 50%. If the muscle has been worked, expect to see even faster action. So be careful. Injecting large amounts of insulin into muscle after a workout could cause a severe hypo.

As far as the amount of insulin you should inject is concerned, it should only be as much as is required to cover the carbs you are going to eat. Injecting more insulin will make you go low. If you want to inject more insulin for the anabolic effects, make sure you eat enough carb. ;)

BrianSCohen

50 pounds in a year, that is awesome!

Genetics probably helped, but of course insulin probably had a role

Do you know what the most important anabolic hormone is?

That is right, insulin. Insulin has been used by bodybuilders for years and given that it is legal over the counter without a prescription in most states, it is easy to get.

For a good description, read the book (Amazon.com: Nutrient Timing: The Future of Sports Nutrition: John Ivy, Robert Portman: Books). The authors recommend that you eat carbs after weight trainnig to get a boost of natural insulin. The insulin not only enables uptake of glucose to replenish glycogen stores, but also enables protein uptake into your muscles to accelerate recovery.

You don't get big and strong from lifting weights, you get big and strong recovering from lifting weights.

I am suggesing that any abuse insulin as an analbolic bodybuilding agent, I'm just saying.

mikeb

My trainer is Peter Birchfield, Mr. New Zealand 2001...He has really been a big part of what i have accomplished. Keeping me on a strict diet has played huge as well. He tells me all the time that i am a freak of nature...it would take a normal person multiple years to make the gains i have made. We have been accused of "juicin" quite a few times...but that is not nor will ever be the case with me. I would not do that to my body or subject my family to that kind of abuse.Pete says just let em think what they want...they are just jealous.

pumper
My trainer is Peter Birchfield, Mr. New Zealand 2001...He has really been a big part of what i have accomplished. Keeping me on a strict diet has played huge as well. He tells me all the time that i am a freak of nature...it would take a normal person multiple years to make the gains i have made. We have been accused of "juicin" quite a few times...but that is not nor will ever be the case with me. I would not do that to my body or subject my family to that kind of abuse.Pete says just let em think what they want...they are just jealous.

Wow-yes, I am jealous... both about your progress and about who your trainer is... Take full advantage of both.

Talking about "juicin"... are you on any (legal) supplements? creatine perhaps?

mikeb

No just protien shakes and STRICT protien and fiber diet...nothing else...i have asked Pete about possibly taking something for enhancing...his reply is why?? You are still growing and gaining, so don't bother with those thoughts until i stop growing.

djcdc

Hey guys, I was google searching and came across this forum.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago and now Im just now coming out of denial. I have changed a lot of stuff, I joined a gym thats just down the road and its 24hrs.. I am using a very lo-carb protein powder. I looked into this for 2 reasons: 1. I need a source of protein as well as other stuff like calcium and other minerals and vitamins. this shake gives me all I need. 2. It can server as mean replacement if necessary. I just started doing this 2 weeks ago. It does definitely improve the sugar levels. the protein shake doesnt spike my sugar. LAst night it did for the first time, but thats because I added some chocolate syrup for better taste. so it was a little higher this morning. Anyway sorry to ramble, I just wanted to give my 2 cents on powders.

RikBrooks

I used an ECA stack years ago. It was very effective. That was before I was diagnosed though so I don't know the effect on blood sugar.

I do know that it's very hard to find a reliable source of ephedrine though - even though I heard that it has been 're-legalized'

BrianSCohen
I used an ECA stack years ago. It was very effective. That was before I was diagnosed though so I don't know the effect on blood sugar.

I do know that it's very hard to find a reliable source of ephedrine though - even though I heard that it has been 're-legalized'

I have not used an ECA stack. My previous experience with Hydroxycut was that it elevated my blood pressure. Ephidrine and PseudoEphedrine both have cautions that they may elevate blood glucose, you will just have to see. They are not illegal, attempts to outlaw them have been thwarted in the courts. Instead the government has employed an alternate strategy, making stores keep them behind the counter and having reporting requirements. You also can't buy unlimited quantities. Sudafed contains PseudoEphedrine is still available widely and can be obtained in modest quantities at most pharmacies.

If you really want more info on ECA stacks, I would check out TESTOSTERONE NATION | The World's Fastest Growing Nation of Bodybuilding and Strength Training Enthusiasts

Sugarhead

Guys - its been a while since I have been here. I complete the three months of P90X and gained 5.5lbs of muscle and lost only 1lb of fat. Then took the summer off. I am at 18.5% fat and would like to get to 15% or lower. I was really interested in the post of 50lb of muscle growth in a year. Wow.

I think I need a very, very clean diet , lots of reps on the weights and controled carbs to get rid of the fat, anyother advice would be helpful.

pumper
Guys - its been a while since I have been here. I complete the three months of P90X and gained 5.5lbs of muscle and lost only 1lb of fat. Then took the summer off. I am at 18.5% fat and would like to get to 15% or lower. I was really interested in the post of 50lb of muscle growth in a year. Wow.

I think I need a very, very clean diet , lots of reps on the weights and controled carbs to get rid of the fat, anyother advice would be helpful.

5.5 lbs of muscle in 3 months is excellent.

I'd say yes, a very clean diet - preferably low carb, with lots of cardio AND lots of weight lifting.

Sugarhead

pumper - can you suggest a few sites on low carb meals? I am assuming it would be 5 or 6 per day. That is what I am doing now

pumper
pumper - can you suggest a few sites on low carb meals? I am assuming it would be 5 or 6 per day. That is what I am doing now

Not certain that I can suggest anything really useful in terms of web sites. I try to keep my carbs to less than 100 g on non-training days. However, on lifting days, I tend to have a huge carb meal immediately after lifting. This huge carb meal needs lots of insulin - and that huge amount of insulin become anabolic. This is a little bit like non-diabetic bodybuilders injecting insulin for its huge anabolic properties. But like that, you end up with low carb days and higher carb days - which I think is better than being low carb every day.

These are the only web sites that I can think of for now.

Low Carb Muscle Forum - LowCarbMuscle.com - Powered by vBulletin

How to Maintain Strength While Losing Weight - Bodybuilding.com Forums

and look in:

A Thread for people with Type I Diabetes (Insulin-dependent) Only - Page 7 - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Hope that these help

Mike

olylifter

Hi,

I've been competing in olympic weightlifting for 5 years, at 69 K. I am still figuring out the best way to balance diabetes, proper nutrition and hard training. I've just found this thread, and I haven't looked through it all, but I'll try to post when I can.

I'm thinking about trying continuous glucose sensing and/or an isulin pump. Do any of you know if your governing bodies (mine us USA weightlifting) allow devices during competition? I expect I may need to get special permission. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks a bunch!

Kate Page

69 K

Type 1

pumper

I'm thinking about trying continuous glucose sensing and/or an isulin pump. Do any of you know if your governing bodies (mine us USA weightlifting) allow devices during competition? I expect I may need to get special permission. Does anyone have experience with this?

I don't have experience with this particular issue.

However, I have been on an insulin pump with continuous glucose monitoring since December and it has completely changed my life. So, go for it. Also, don't forget, that you can lift with the pump and sensor on - I lift 3-4 time a week - though it is not olympic-style lifting. You can always take out the sensor and pump for competitions (you can take the pump out for about 1 hr without too many problems).

Gladiador

Hello everyone

I am not a professional bodybuilder, but I do weights at home for recreational reasons. I am farmiliar with some things, but yet, some questions remain unanswered.

I would hoghly appreciate if someone can provide a concrete answer on this one: When PWM is concerned, does taking complex carbo has the same effect for building musculature as those with high GI? People are talking and assuming, but I didn't manage to find any info with scientifically confirmed informations or heard it from some professionals with experience. After training, I take some 30g of whey and some 60g of carbs (whey+300ml orange juice+30g oat flakes+100g banana)...I am doing some experiments on myself, I will try different combination after this one....lowing the amount of carbs maybe, or do I need them more, (I have to find out of course)

Also, I am affraid to cut the carbs very much i.e. because of HYPO. But, I've started to do it very slowly, and added more proteins into my diet.

25 years old, I am on insulin pump for 2,5 years now. My goal is to somehow cut fat and divert it into muscles. My actual goal is to have a good definition. I will post my exact proportions soon, but in breef, some 80kg, 176cm height, waste 91,5cm, breasts 105cm. Not sure about fats, but some 22-23%.

Any suggestions are welcome. Considering carbs and proteins, it is very simple actually, but not for a diabetic...

Thank you in advance for answers.

BrianSCohen

Gladiador,

Welcome to the forum. My bet is that english is not your first language. Don't worry, people are very helpful here. Post workout nutrition is important. A good book on the subject is Nutrient Timing: The Future of ... - Google Book Search. You may need to make some minor modifications, but the upshot is that a mix of 30-50g protein and something like 50g of carbs is recommeded for post workout nutrition. If you are going low carb, you can reduce the carbs, but they still have a role in helping you recover.

BlueSky
... When PWM is concerned, does taking complex carbo has the same effect for building musculature as those with high GI? ....

To answer this question, we need to consider the role of post workout carbs. One reason for them is to replenish glycogen reserves, but more importantly, consuming carbs after a workout increases insulin levels (either injected or or naturally produced). Insulin, the anabolic hormone, is used in the uptake of amino acids used to maintain and build muscle. It is all explained in that book Brian linked to.

You have a 30-60 minute window of opportunity after the workout, during which muscle is repaired and built. As you are using a pump to supply the insulin, your focus needs to be on supplying that insulin at the beginning of the recovery period after your workout, and then consuming the right carbs to keep your blood glucose in the target range. Whether they are high or low GI is incidental. Orange juice would raise my blood sugar too quickly, but if it works for you, great. :)

LittleMaxi

This will be my first post, so I would like to start by saying Hello to everyone...

I was just diagnosed with Type 2 about a month and a half ago, so this is all very new to me. As well as confusing. I really thought that I had a good grasp on nutrition, I have been around weight lifting and nutrition for a large part of my life, my brother in-law is a Pro Bodybuilder, my wife looks like a bodybuilder, Myself and two of my cousins have won and placed in Powerlifting meets, so I'm not really green on the concept of nutrition. But this is all a little overwhelming.

I truly believe that I know what are the proper amount of Protien, Fats and Carbs to intake, I'm mostly scared of carbs and sugar right now, I read earlier in the thread that some of you think that protien powders were not useful, I have to give BlueSky a pat on the back, with his input on the subject, I personally think that more diabetics should be using them post workout or between meals, It's just my opinion, but I really can't find another source that is as nutritionally dense as a low carb protien shake.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, because like I said, I'm new to this and it's quite a learning process.

Thanks in advance for any info !!

Gladiador

Thank you Brian and BlueSky for your answers.

Yes, English is not my first language. I am reading my previous post and laughing a little because of some grammatical errors (I've posted a bit rashly) . Anyway, my English is quite good.

To get back to the topic...I believe the best thing for PWM for me would somehow be whey+complex carbs. On the other hand, depending on blood glucose level and actual feeling, some high GI carbs are always welcome in limited amounts, just to get you back into that normal condition (no matter if it's during your workout or afterwards). I am telling this because I am active in both aerobic and anaerobic training. When aerobic training is concerned, you can never actually know how much exhausted and burnt up you'll be at the end. The most important thing is to keep that blood glucose always in the target range.

Thanks once again guys, you've helped a lot.

...considering 100% orange juice, well, just an experiment. The feeling: refreshing, but I've felt I need some more rigid nutrients mixed inside that shake.

BrianSCohen

Gladiador,

As Bluesky noted, this book recommends you target the window right after workout. This means you should select a simple carb. You do need to moderate how much, as a diabetic, you can't just suck down a quart of orange juice. I often have a dramatic rise in blood sugar from weight training, I really don't need many carbs, just enough to make sure I have some sort of insulin surge. I don't want to drive my blood sugar over 200 mg/dl. You should test your self to guage how many carbs to take.

BrianSCohen
..., I personally think that more diabetics should be using them post workout or between meals, It's just my opinion, but I really can't find another source that is as nutritionally dense as a low carb protien shake.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, because like I said, I'm new to this and it's quite a learning process.

Thanks in advance for any info !!

LittleMax,

Welcome to the forums. I am pleased to see you are form NH. I used to live in NH, on Mt Cardigan, just outside Canaan. My wife is from the Ashland/New Hampton area and we still have a lot of family up there.

I think you are right on with your comments. Most nutrition advice suggests protein levels that minimally sustain life. Not exactly how I want to go through the day. I try to take in at least 1g/lb of bodyweight, which means about 200 g/day. It can be difficult reaching this and protein shakes really help. I get mine at costco, 6lbs for $40. They are the low carb variety. I start off the day with a shake and then have then as snacks during the day when I can fit them in.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.