Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pote05

Looking for your best MeatLoaf Recipe

susique333

Im going to watch this thread like a hawk! I make my meatloaf with lipton onion soup (follow the recipe on the box) and even tho all the family raves about it, IM SICK TO DEATH of it. I need new recipes too!! Im eyeing one where its called cheeseburger meatloaf, dont want to post the recipe til I try it tho!

Dewey

I absolutely LOVE Carwy's Mexican Meatloaf recipe. It is out of this world...the only thing that would stop me from eating it, is literally being sick! lol

Like Susie, I'll be watching this thread for some new ones, too!

Pote05

Here are 2 my friend e-mailed me...

Spicy Sausage Meatloaf Patties with Italian Barbecue Sauce

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

I was making my annual Christmas Pasta for the holiday and my mom and I bought duplicate meats so we had lots of leftover hot and sweet sausage and ground beef. Well, the next day, this recipe was born.

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling

1 red bell pepper, finely chopped

1 large onion, chopped and divided

2 ribs celery, chopped

1 cup shredded carrots

Salt and pepper, for seasoning, plus coarse black pepper for finishing sauce

1/2 pound ground beef

3/4 pound bulk hot sausage

3/4 pound ground sweet sausage

1 egg

3/4 cup bread crumbs, 3 generous handfuls, Italian or plain

1/2 cup grated Parmigiano or Romano, a couple of handfuls

1/8 pound pancetta, 4 slices, chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped

Splash red wine

1/2 cup beef stock

1 can petite diced tomatoes or stewed tomatoes

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons hot sauce

Serving suggestion: green salad

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Heat a small skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. When the oil is hot, saute the red pepper, half the onions, celery and carrots together, 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper then remove to a plate to cool.

Mix ground beef and sausages with egg, bread crumbs, cheese, and cooled vegetables. Form 4 large oval shaped patties no more than 1 1/4 inches thick then drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Place in the oven on a cookie sheet and bake 17 to 18 minutes, until cooked through.

Heat a medium sauce pot over medium high heat. Add a drizzle of EVOO to the pan and the pancetta. Let the pancetta crisp up a bit and render fat, then add onions and garlic and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add a splash of red wine to deglaze the pan. Stir in the beef stock and tomatoes and season sauce heavily with coarse black pepper. Add Worcestershire and hot sauce and reduce heat to warm.

Serve meatloaves with Italian barbecue sauce on top and green salad alongside.

Dad's Meatloaf with Tomato Relish

Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Tomato Relish:

Extra-virgin olive oil

1 onion, finely diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 bay leaves

2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and finely diced

2 tomatoes, halved, seeded, and finely diced

1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1 (12-ounce) bottle ketchup

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Meatloaf:

3 slices white bread, crusts removed, torn into chunks by hand

1/4 cup whole milk

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1 pound ground pork

2 eggs

Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 to 4 bacon slices

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Coat a skillet with a 2-count of oil and place over medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic, and bay leaves for a few minutes to create a base flavor. Throw in the red peppers and cook them for a couple of minutes to soften. Now add the tomatoes; adding them at this point lets them hold their shape and prevents them from disintegrating. Stir in the parsley, ketchup, and Worcestershire; season with salt and pepper. Simmer the relish for 5 minutes to pull all the flavors together. Remove it from the heat; you should have about 4 cups of relish.

Place the torn white bread in a bowl and add the milk to just barely cover, swish the bread around in the milk and let it sit while you get the rest of the ingredients for the meat loaf together.

This is where you get your hands dirty! In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and pork with 1 1/2 cups of the tomato relish, the eggs, and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the excess milk from the bread and add the soaked bread to the meat mixture. To test, fry a small "hamburger" patty of the meatloaf until cooked; the patty should hold together but still have a soft consistency. Taste the patty for seasoning.

Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Transfer the meat mixture to the center of the cookie sheet and form into a log about 9 inches long and about 4 inches wide. Coat the top of the meatloaf with another 1/2 cup of the tomato relish. Lay the bacon across the top lengthwise.

Bake the meatloaf for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the bacon is crisp and the meatloaf is firm. Rotate the meat loaf while it's baking every now and then to insure that the bacon browns evenly. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it cool a bit before slicing. Serve with the remaining tomato relish on the side. Unbelievably moist!

Pote05

Some more e-mailed to me!

Bubba;s Meat Loaf

1/2 cup white wine

1 cup finely chopped white onion

1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper

1 lb ground round or sirloin, or ground turkey (93 percent lean or leaner)

1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce

1/2 cup uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal

1/4 cup grated Parmesan

2 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp red pepper flakes

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

2 large egg whites

2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

1/3 cup chicken broth

Vegetable-oil cooking spray

1 1/2 cups pasta sauce (such as Classico Fire-Roasted Tomato & Garlic Sauce), heated

6 basil leaves (this is your topping, or just use ketchup.)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Pour wine into a medium skillet and cook onion, pepper over low to medium heat for 15 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly, using hands. Spoon in vegetables and liquid from skillet. Shape mixture into a loaf approximately 5" wide, 10" long, and 3" to 4" high. Coat a 9" x 13" baking pan (or bread-loaf pan) with cooking spray, then fill with mixture. Bake 1 hour; let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Top each slice with 1/4 cup warmed pasta sauce and basil leaf.

Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf

This delicious bacon-wrapped meatloaf is enhanced with grated natural Parmesan cheese, Cajun spices, and a tasty barbecue sauce glaze.

INGREDIENTS:

4 strips lean bacon

2 teaspoons brown sugar, optional

1 pound lean ground beef

1/2 pound ground pork

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped

2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs

1 large egg, slightly beaten

1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon Cajun seasonings

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/3 cup evaporated milk or whole milk

1/2 cup barbecue sauce

PREPARATION:

Cut bacon strips in half crosswise and coat with the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. In a large skillet, cook the sugared bacon for about 2 minutes to render some of the excess fat. Or, cook on a paper plate in the microwave for about 1 minute.

Heat oven to 350°.

Beef, Turkey, and Andouille Meat Loaf

Ingredients:

2 TB olive oil, 1 1/2 cup fine chopped onions, 1 tsp salt plus a pinch, 1/2 cup fine chopped red bell peppers (optional), 2 tsp minced garlic, 1 TB Worcestershire sauce, 2 cups soft fresh bread crumbs, 1/2 c milk, 2 lg eggs lightly beaten, 1 lb andouille, smoked ham, or other smoked sausage cut into 1" chunks & coarsely chopped in a food processor, 1 lb ground beef (85% lean), 1 lb ground turkey, 1/2 tsp dried sage, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Sweet & Sour Mustard Glaze: 6 TB Dijon mustard, 3 TB light or dark brown sugar, 1 TB cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a lg skillet on med-high heat, and add the onions with a pinch of salt. Cover and cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally. Stir in the optional bell peppers and the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer the mixture to a lg bowl. Mix in all the remaining ingredients (except those for the glaze.) Using your hands, knead the mixture until everything is well blended. On a lg baking sheet (with a rim), or a lg shallow baking pan, form the meat into a loaf about 10" x 4" x 4" high. Place the loaf in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make the Mustard Glaze: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Brush the glaze all over the top of the meat loaf after the first 30 minutes of baking. Bake the meatloaf for 30 - 45 mins more, or until the internal temp is 150 degrees to 155 degrees F. Let the loaf rest for 10 to 20 minutes, loosely covered with foil, before slicing and serving. Makes 8 servings

susique333

So far Ive loved all of Paulas recipes so Im adding this one even tho I didnt taste test it yet.

Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf Recipe courtesy PAULA DEEN.

Episode: Country Comfort

1 pound ground chuck

10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1 (8-ounce) package sharp Cheddar, grated

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup bread crumbs, toasted

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons prepared mustard

1 (3-ounce) can French fried onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck and next 8 ingredients, mixing well.

In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and mustard. Stir 1/4 cup ketchup mixture into meat mixture, reserving remaining ketchup mixture.

Press meat mixture into a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan, or shape into a loaf and place on a rack in a broiler pan. Spread remaining ketchup mixture over loaf. Bake 40 minutes. Top with French fried onions; bake another 10 to 15 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.

susique333

If I eat a whole slice of bread it does. The above recipes are probably 6-8 servings which would make smaller amounts of carbs per serving. I use low carb ketchup and Id probably use steel cut oats (pulverized) as the bread crumbs. Also check your bacon and make shre its not honey cured.

Mich

Mich's Grandpa's Turkey Meat Loaf

1 pkg ground turkey

1 pkg turkey sausage patties

1 small-medium onion, finey chopped

freshly chopped basil

freshly chopped parsley

2 cloves minced garlic

1/2 to 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal

2 eggs

salt

pepper

catsup

Mix first ten ingredients. Form into loaf in 2-3 inch deep pan. Top with catsup. Put 1/3 c white wine in bottom of pan. Bake about 1 hr or a little more at 375 until slightly browned around edges. Can add small potatoes and carrots around the meatloaf the last 45 min

for a complete meal.

We always double this recipe for meat loaf sandwiches the next day.

Penny

Back in the day :D when I had to feed 7 kids and 2 adults with one pound (or there about) of hamburger (while I walked uphill bothways, in 10 feet of snow, to the store to get the stuff I needed), I mixed as many grated carrots, chopped onions, and bread crumbs into my meatloaf as I could and have it still be considered "meat". I also added a can of drained tomatoes, and finished it up with ketchup on top. When we were "in the money", I added a pound of sausage......that was our "gourmet" meatloaf. :D Add a bowl of whipped (not mashed) potatoes and some tomato gravy, something green and it was a feast. Just recently, one of my older kids commented that they haven't had meatloaf that tasted like that, since they were kids. That could be taken either way, but I chose to take it as a compliment. ;) Since then our meatloaf has "evolved" into one of those healthy turkey sausage/lean ground beef things, so some of these recipes look like something I might try.

grace girl

I love meatloaf, too, but I don't make it very often. I'm one of those just throw it together and see what happens cooks. My meatloaf involves:

ground chuck

lots of grated carrots

bread crumbs

an egg

ketchup

Worcestershire sauce

salt and pepper

more ketchup on top of the loaf

I always bake it on a rack to let the fat drain out, and I always serve it with mashed potatoes!

camjen1

My dad makes an awesome meatloaf!!

Very simple but can be dolled up to your liking.

3 lbs ground beef

1 can tomato sauce

oatmeal

1/2 c. brown sugar

1/3 c. kc masterpiece sauce

1 egg

Mix 1/2 c. to 2/3 c of the tomato sauce in and save the remainder. Add in the sugar, egg and bbq sauce. After thoroughly mixed add enough oatmeal to absorb some liquid and to keep the meat together in a ball. A cup should do, maybe less maybe more.

Make into a ball or oval shape and put in 13x9 greased pan (not touching the sides) and bake in preheated 350 oven. You'll know when it's near done when the bottom of the meat starts to crisp up. In a separate bowl mix the remaining tomato sauce, a tablespoon or two of brown sugar and a tablespoon or two of bbq sauce. When the meatloaf is done or almost done you will pour this mixture over the top and bake for another 10 minutes or so.

Cramster

Just made my first attempt at a turkey meat loaf last week, and will be watching this thread for one with a bit more flavor

w5wjp

Here is one I saw on TV several years ago and have tried it many times. Very Good. NOTE: I do not cook using measurements. I add enough of what ever.

Meatloaf Surprise

Ground Critter (as much as you need)

Tomato Sauce (as much as needed)

Eggs Raw (one or two depends on how much critter you got)

Hard boiled Eggs (Several)

Oatmeal (can't be real meatloaf with out it)

Spices (what ever you like)

Onions (as much as you want)

Garlic (about 1/2 ton should be enough)

If you like it hot, horseradish or tobassco

mixed oatmeal, ground critter, most of the tomato sauce, onions, garlic.

Take some of this mixture and place in a baking pan/dish. Flatten out and arrange hard boiled eggs in some type of pattern on it. Cover with rest of critter mix to make the loaf seal edges and cover with remaining tomato sauce. Bake till done. When you slice it the hard boiled eggs will give you a surprise.

Pote05

More Meat Loafs I got........

Salad oil

1 carrot, small to medium dice

2 stalks celery, small to medium dice

1 medium onion, small to medium dice

2 pounds ground beef

2 eggs

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Dash hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)

Dash Worcestershire sauce

3 slices bread

1/2 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs

Ketchup

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.

In a medium-sized saute pan, put 2 dribbles of salad oil and heat over medium-high heat.

Add the carrots, celery, and onions and saute, about 5 minutes. Put aside and let cool.

In large bowl put the carrot mixture, ground beef and remaining ingredients, except for the bread, the bread crumbs and ketchup. Soak the bread in cold water, then squeeze water out (like a sponge) and drain it. Add to the ground beef and mix. (A stand mixer is may help make it easier). Add the bread crumbs and mix. Roll into firm loaf, spread ketchup over the top, and place into preheated oven for approximately 45 to 55 minutes, or until cooked through. Take out and serve hot.

1/3 cup steak sauce (recommended: A1)

3 1/2 pounds ground beef

5 cloves garlic, minced

3 tablespoons dried thyme

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

4 eggs

3 tablespoons steak seasoning (recommended: Montreal)

1 cup bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In large bowl, mix steak sauce, ground beef, garlic, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, and steak seasoning until well mixed. Then, add bread crumbs and mix until incorporated.

Place in 9 by 13-inch casserole dish and shape into a loaf. Add water to pan to come up to 1/4-inch of the meat loaf.

Bake for 50 minutes until done.

1 pound ground beef

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped bell pepper

1 egg, lightly beaten

8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice

1/2 cup quick-cooking oats

Topping:

1/3 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix all meatloaf ingredients well and place in a baking dish. Shape into a loaf.

Topping:

Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf. Bake for 1 hour.

6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 onion, roughly chopped

1 carrot, peeled and broken

3 whole cloves garlic

1/2 red bell pepper

18 ounces ground chuck

18 ounces ground sirloin

1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 egg

For the glaze:

1/2 cup catsup

1 teaspoon ground cumin

Dash Worcestershire sauce

Dash hot pepper sauce

1 tablespoon honey

Heat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb mixture. Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.

Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees.

Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for about 10 minutes.

cyberus

I use a simple binder recipe for everything from meatloaf to fish patties.

2 parts flax meal

1 part soy flour

Mix well, store airtight.

Use as needed with 2 eggs per 1/4c mix.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.