Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokie

What is the likelyhood my child will become diabetic?

pokie

I am a Type 2; diabetes runs in my family, on both sides, and also her Dad's. My daughter is ten; I wonder, what are the chances she will become a diabetic when she is older? I believe I went undiagnosed for quite some time, was officially diagnosed at around 39 I think. Would it be a good idea to take her in for a well check and have her tested every so often?

ant hill

It can be quite likely that she can develop diabetes. Have you tested on your child? As this disease is a progressive developments it's runs in family's quite well. Question this to your doctor next time you see them. But don't panic over this just yet.

Is she thirsty, Going to the Toilet too often, And hungry?. :)

princesslinda

My mother was a T2 diabetic, as was her father, her mother and her brother. I was diagnosed at age 42. I have a sister who does not have diabetes. I was very overweight and sedentary when diagnosed. My sister is a more normal weight and more active.

Your daughter will probably have a better than average chance of developing T2 at some point in her lifetime because of your strong family history, but if you and your family develop healthy eating habits and stay active, she may keep it at bay for many, many years....or may never get it.

If she stays at a normal weight, she probably will be fine throughout her childhood. I really don't think you should make her "worry" about the possibility of diabetes in her future, just live a good healthy example in front of her, and be there to help her manage it if it ever does happen.

pokie

Thanks; my illness has made her very aware of the foods she eats; she is a pretty amazing kid who at 10, tries to make sure she follows the food pyramid every day, reads labels, and is generally well-informed about nutrition. I think she might worry about becoming diabetic; I guess to reassure her I should tell her what some of the early warning signs are (none of which she has) and maybe take her along when I see my diabetes educator.

wiseguy
Thanks; my illness has made her very aware of the foods she eats; she is a pretty amazing kid who at 10, tries to make sure she follows the food pyramid every day, reads labels, and is generally well-informed about nutrition. I think she might worry about becoming diabetic; I guess to reassure her I should tell her what some of the early warning signs are (none of which she has) and maybe take her along when I see my diabetes educator.

Unfortunately, by the time a person experiences the symptoms of diabetes they have most likely had elevated blood glucose levels for quite awhile. With the family history she should have some tests run annually. Keeping track of A1c readings should give you early warning of rising BG levels.

BriOnH

Keep her weight in check and you can (in most cases) stop the type 2 gene from being expressed.

Obesity and big weight causes the type 2 gene to be expressed in 80% of type 2 diabetics.

j_perd

I am type 1, and I plan on having a child within the next couple years. There is no family history of diabetes, and mine was likely caused by an outside source (sickness, immunizations, etc.). Is it likely that my child could develop diabetes, or because there is no genetic trait, will s/he be in the clear?

ant hill
I am type 1, and I plan on having a child within the next couple years. There is no family history of diabetes

I would needn't worry because you don't have a great history of diabetes as type 1's is an autoimmune disease.

However if your child has the same immune system and that maybe so then just maybe yes but that's just my theory and I am no professor LOL.

However in your pregnancy please practice good control!!! as that's the golden word. ;) I am sorry that I cannot elaborate on possible causes. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.