Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

notme

Ambien CR

notme

I have been struggling with insomnia for several years now and it has recently gotten ridiculous. I go to bed at 11 or so and fall right to sleep, twenty minutes later and I wide awake and will stay wide awake for several hours. I can usually fall back to sleep by about 3 or 4 and will sleep for about two hours and that is it for the night. It got really frustrating.

Finally, I talked to my doctor about trying a sleep medication and she suggested Ambien CR. I got my first good night sleep in years. I took it for about three weeks and then started noticing that I was nauseated after eating almost all the time. I couldn't eat or drink anything without feeling sick. I really didn't associate it with the Ambien. When I went on vacation a few weeks back, we were flying for almost 15 hours and I was sick and nauseated almost the entire flight. I decided to stop taking Ambien and went back to trying melatonin and Advil (cocktail) so I didn't ruin my vacation and it worked until a few nights ago. Now I am back to my old routine of not sleeping.

I am nervous about starting Ambien again. Has anyone else struggled with sleep and had nausea as a side effect from Ambien CR? I am really frustrated and don't know what to do.

Jan B

Nancy,

I didn't suffer the nausea, but I was depressed the day after taking it. I only took it regularly for about a month, then just when I felt desperate to sleep. It was such a tradeoff -- sleep better, but know that I would feel down the whole next day. It's like the CR part wouldn't leave my system. I went back to using Tylenol PM when necessary. Luckily my shoulder is enough better that I don't take any sleep aids anymore. (However, I'm up at 3am unable to sleep! But I hurt my muscles working out too much and I feel all cramped up.)

The other problem I had w/Ambien CR was that I didn't sleep soundly after about 3am. Plain Ambien might have been better for me. I think there is a better sleep aid available I was told about . . . I'll let you know when I come up w/the name.

Are you checking your bg when you can't sleep? If I'm running a little low, I go into thinking loops. I don't rest well high either. Also, if pets sleep with you, they can mess w/your sleep . . . one reason being, we try not to disturb them so we don't get as comfortable! I'm crazy like that, but surely you wouldn't be!

I feel for you . . . I've had the sleeping problem off and on since I was a teen. It's still like a miracle to sleep solid through a night.

notme

I have also tried Tylenol pm and it doesn't work for me at all. I mix terrible cocktails of melatonin, tylenol pm and my regular medications and I know it is a bad idea. If I don't, I will sleep for twenty minutes and then I am done. I really don't know what to do at this point. I am sorry about the depression you suffered on Ambien. It definitely seems to affect different people in odd ways. I tried the regular Ambien and I actually passed out on it. I had amnesia and twice my husband had to walk me to bed and I didn't remember anything. Regular Ambien is scary. Maybe I will try that one again and not take it until I get into bed.

I would NEVER sleep with my dogs. ;) And certainly I would not let them have as much bed as they want while I was scrunched in a corner......:T Ok....but I would sleep worse if I knew they were sad. I will just have to try pushing them out of the way. Point well taken.

Jan B

Sonata is the one somebody told me was better for them than Ambien. I truly am sorry about your problem. Once again, I know you aren't crazy like me, but after my hour or so up in the middle of the night last night (this morning), I slept great from about 4:30 to 7:30am. It was a very special awakening w/Beau on one side of me, Tina on the other curled around my arm, and Targa curled up at my feet. Jessie was in the window watching. They all sleep more soundly than I do, so I really don't think they disturb my sleep.

Get some help! Don't give up . . . lack of good sleep certainly makes you old before your time. I swear I look younger since I've been sleeping well again.

princesslinda

I had my doc give me a sample of Rozeram...its supposed to be the one least likely to become habit-forming. It worked well the couple of times i've taken them. But, melatonin works well for me, so I may be a little more sensitive to them.

Funnygrl

Wow, she told you to take it regularly? Ambien isn't meant for long term regular use. It's meant to be used for a week, maybe 2, to "reset" your sleep schedule and get your body used to sleeping at those times again. My doctor said it's not really studied for regular use and she doesn't prescribe it at all for regular use. I'd dare to say your symptoms are your body saying "no more!"

Ambien CR is kind of a rip-off. Drug companies make a CR version when their patent is up and the generic version is coming out to keep people using the brand name. But regular Ambien lasts 8 hours and wears out after that. So why would you need a CR version? You can get by with generic plain old Ambien.

As far as tylenol pm is concerned, the active "sleepy" ingredient is benadryl. So just take regular benadryl, 25 or 50mg, and your liver will thank you for not burdening it with un-needed acetaminophen.

Important things are also a regular bedtime routine and regular sleep hours (hahaha). A doctor once told me if a person has poor sleep habits, it can take nothing short of an anesthesiologist to get them to sleep.

notme
A doctor once told me if a person has poor sleep habits, it can take nothing short of an anesthesiologist to get them to sleep.

Boy, isn't that the truth! My sleep problems started about four years ago and I think it is due to my age. It also seems to be a genetic issue as my father has my same sleep patterns. I am one of those people that can run on 20 minutes of sleep. Power naps when I was really tired would give me enough energy to work all day. I don't dare nap now.

I have been doing what they say NOT to do on the Ambien CR and that is I cut it in half. I hate taking the stuff, but just don't know how to fix the sleep issue. Guess I will watch late night tv and power nap!

Scrabblechick

Good luck in getting those sleep issues resolved! My mom can't take Ambien at all. It makes her hallucinate! I've never tried it.

w5wjp

If I take any sleep aid. I have problems the next day staying awake. The residual effect gets me every time. Melatoin seems to works best for me, still sleepy the next day but nowhere near as bad as with the others. Tried Ambien and would sleep for two days, just naps of 10-20 minutes at a time. Sure makes working difficult.

notme

I have tried just melatonin, but it doesn't work anymore for me. I wake up fifty times a night. Last night I took one melatonin and a tyelnol pm. It worked after about two hours. This is such a frustrating problem.

BriOnH

Have you ever tried trazedone? Its non narcotic and works fairly well. As far as the nausea is concerned, if you experience it regularly (though it seems to be only in conjunction with Ambien) phenergan (super antihistamine) clears up nausea and is very sedative; only problem is it can last well into the next morning. They come in 30mg tabs, and 7-10mg can be very effective. Also non narcotic. Both require a prescription.

art

I've been taking it for almost a year.

The regular Ambien wasn't working.

I haven't had any bad reactions at all.

Typically I get up once a night but that's not unusual for a guy my age (62).

I get at least 6 hours of sleep a night.

Doesn't have any effect on my BS as far as I can tell.

AFS

ladytaz

That's just awful, Nancy! I fully understand insomnia! I've suffered with it for a good 25 years (or more). My dad has insomnia too, so I've always just assumed it was just "handed" down to me! ;) I'm lucky to sleep two straight hours at a time. Though, it comes and goes in bouts. If I'm stressed, it gets worse though.

I've never taken any prescription meds for it, and spent many years taking nothing at all. About 8 or so years ago, I started taking OTC meds. First I started out with the Tylenol PM (store brands) and then when I realized that it's just acetaminophen with diphenhydromine (benadryl), I began using just the (store brand) benadryl. They don't always work for me though. I don't take them every night, either. I've never tried melatonin. Though it's been suggested to me.

I hope you find something that works.

notme

I am really frustrated. Last night I was awake from 11:00 pm until 4:30 am. when I finally fell asleep at some point after 4:30.

I tried taking half of an Ambien CR (I know you aren't supposed to split them). Within three days I was nauseated again. I will talk to my doctor about trying a different Rx. OTC just doesn't seem to work. I am a bit stressed right now so I am sure that isn't helping.

I have will talk to my doc about the ones you suggested Brian. Thanks

ladytaz

I find I do my best sleeping after 5 am. If I went to bed at 5 am every day, I'd sleep a good 5 or 6 hours straight. Always happens! Weird! I have actually considered that! LOL But, wouldn't make hubby so happy. LOL

I was just thinking about the Trazadone that Brian spoke of. I know my sister takes that. I don't know how well it helps her. But, she has other issues. Also, there is Lunesta (you know the commercial with the pretty little butterfly) That may be something to ask your doc about. As well as the Rozerem.

I know Ambien isn't for everyone. And it sounds like it's not for you! I've also heard some stories about it's addictiveness and awful withdrawal symptoms, (like Cymbalta has - my sister just went through **** (and still is, some) getting off that stuff!) for those who take it long term.

jacobsam622
I am really frustrated. Last night I was awake from 11:00 pm until 4:30 am. when I finally fell asleep at some point after 4:30.

I tried taking half of an Ambien CR (I know you aren't supposed to split them). Within three days I was nauseated again. I will talk to my doctor about trying a different Rx. OTC just doesn't seem to work. I am a bit stressed right now so I am sure that isn't helping.

I have will talk to my doc about the ones you suggested Brian. Thanks

I take one 1 1/2 hours driving home from work and about three hours looking after 3 1/2 year old twins to cure any sleeping issues that may arise.

post-1022-139628773046_thumb.jpg

notme

I wish that would work for me, I would take on a couple twins. I have always had issues, even when raising five kids and a full time job.

Just a stupid part of being ME. :T

Funnygrl

Some people find they need 50mg of benadryl, instead of the regular 25mg to sleep. I've even seen people go up to 75mg. That's considered "prescription strength" so to speak.

Funnygrl
Worth a try. Does benadryl effect some people the opposite way funny?

Mostly kids or old people.

janny108
Wow, she told you to take it regularly? Ambien isn't meant for long term regular use. It's meant to be used for a week, maybe 2, to "reset" your sleep schedule and get your body used to sleeping at those times again. My doctor said it's not really studied for regular use and she doesn't prescribe it at all for regular use. I'd dare to say your symptoms are your body saying "no more!"

Ambien CR is kind of a rip-off. Drug companies make a CR version when their patent is up and the generic version is coming out to keep people using the brand name. But regular Ambien lasts 8 hours and wears out after that. So why would you need a CR version? You can get by with generic plain old Ambien.

As far as tylenol pm is concerned, the active "sleepy" ingredient is benadryl. So just take regular benadryl, 25 or 50mg, and your liver will thank you for not burdening it with un-needed acetaminophen.

Important things are also a regular bedtime routine and regular sleep hours (hahaha). A doctor once told me if a person has poor sleep habits, it can take nothing short of an anesthesiologist to get them to sleep.

Do you take Benadryl now? Is it helping? I had tried Ambien but it got to a point where it was not helping anymore after 4 hrs or so. So I was given Ambien CR(which cost $ out of my pociet) which worked great at the beginning. Now in my 2nd month, I'm sleeping only about 5-6 hrs. And it's difficult for me to go back to sleep after I go to the bathroom at night which happens usually every night.

Is this right? I'm not having any side effects.

Jan

notme
Do you take Benadryl now? Is it helping? I had tried Ambien but it got to a point where it was not helping anymore after 4 hrs or so. So I was given Ambien CR(which cost $ out of my pociet) which worked great at the beginning. Now in my 2nd month, I'm sleeping only about 5-6 hrs. And it's difficult for me to go back to sleep after I go to the bathroom at night which happens usually every night.

Is this right? I'm not having any side effects.

Jan

Ambien only works for about six hours for me. I can function on six hours sleep just fine. I can only use the regular ambien and not the CR. Unfortunately, I get stomach issues after a few days. So, I can only use it now and again.

I have found that melatonin and valerian root is working for me right now.

janny108

Oh yeah I am new here. How much benadryl do you feel you need? I take armour thyroid and hormones as well. And periodically Klonopin.If benedryl can do the trick, that would be one less medication.

Jan

janny108
Ambien only works for about six hours for me. I can function on six hours sleep just fine. I can only use the regular ambien and not the CR. Unfortunately, I get stomach issues after a few days. So, I can only use it now and again.

I have found that melatonin and valerian root is working for me right now.

How is the melatonin and valerian working for you? Can you go back to sleep if you wake up?

notme
Oh yeah I am new here. How much benadryl do you feel you need? I take armour thyroid and hormones as well. And periodically Klonopin.If benedryl can do the trick, that would be one less medication.

Jan

I don't use benadryl, so maybe someone else who has tried it can help. Weird you should mention Klonopin. My sister (don't tell) gave me some and it is the most wonderful sleep aid. However, your right in only using it periodically as it is highly addictive. Figures....... :(

Try Valarian root and melatonin. It actually works for me if I take both. I do go back to sleep with it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.