Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

notme

Ambien CR

notme
how do you sleep on the melatonin/valerian? As far as qualtity and quantity?

Usually takes me about half and hour to fall asleep, so I take it early. I sleep for about 7.5 hours or so. Sometimes less and sometimes more. I easily fall back to sleep if I wake up in the middle. If I wake up after 6 hours of sleep, I am usually up from then on. Quality of sleep is excellent and hang-over is not a problem. I am usually groggy when I first get up, but after a shower, I am good to go and no afternoon tired feeling.

jarichon

While Ambien CR has definitely helped ease my insomnia, alone it often does not have any effect. Until recently I was taking Ambien CR (12.5mg) plus 300mg Seroquel and 100mg Trazadone to be able to sleep somewhat regularly. I am happy to say I'm weening off of Seroquel and have been off the Traz. for several months. I don't feel dependent upon Ambien, mostly because I know it isn't a fool-proof solution to insomnia. Also, and this may be a side-effect of the Seroquel as well, I have gained a lot of weight because of late-night cravings for high-fat foods (like peanut butter...half a JAR at a time!).

Patient254
Wow, she told you to take it regularly? Ambien isn't meant for long term regular use. It's meant to be used for a week, maybe 2, to "reset" your sleep schedule and get your body used to sleeping at those times again. My doctor said it's not really studied for regular use and she doesn't prescribe it at all for regular use. I'd dare to say your symptoms are your body saying "no more!"

Ambien CR is kind of a rip-off. Drug companies make a CR version when their patent is up and the generic version is coming out to keep people using the brand name. But regular Ambien lasts 8 hours and wears out after that. So why would you need a CR version? You can get by with generic plain old Ambien.

As far as tylenol pm is concerned, the active "sleepy" ingredient is benadryl. So just take regular benadryl, 25 or 50mg, and your liver will thank you for not burdening it with un-needed acetaminophen.

Important things are also a regular bedtime routine and regular sleep hours (hahaha). A doctor once told me if a person has poor sleep habits, it can take nothing short of an anesthesiologist to get them to sleep.

I've taken Ambien CR for years. The regular Ambien doesn't work for me, and I'll wake up about 3 am. I started getting bad insomnia after getting on thyroxine years ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.