Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

terbear2008

Anyone else almost type 2, 40 and ttc?

terbear2008

Hi there, just wondering if anyone else is trying to conceive and almost 40? I would like to have a baby but afraid of all the horror stories I hear. On the other hand I hear 40 is not too old to have a baby so.....what's the truth? My reasons for being so freaked out are my age plus the diabetes. Is it possible to have a healthy baby?

Teri

steamfan261
Hi there, just wondering if anyone else is trying to conceive and almost 40? I would like to have a baby but afraid of all the horror stories I hear. On the other hand I hear 40 is not too old to have a baby so.....what's the truth? My reasons for being so freaked out are my age plus the diabetes. Is it possible to have a healthy baby?

Teri

Well, my mom was 40 when she had me and 44 when she had my sister, and I'm thoroughly happy that she did. Healthy? Other than being a diabetic my doc says I'm in remarkable shape for a 60 year old.

Regards,

Doug

terbear2008

Doug,

Was your mom also a diabetic back then? Wow back then they had way less resources. I remember my dad mixing two vials of purples stuff checking his sugars and using syringes for insulin. Nowadays we have so much to help us control our sugars, thank goodness for that.

It's great you're in good shape at 60- They say 60 is the new 40! (-:

cheers

steamfan261

She had gestational diabetes with me, and became a full blown type II about 5 years after my sister was born.

She was a wonderful, gentle woman and a terrific mom (her cinnamon rolls were masterpieces). She lived to be 74, and was in pretty good shape right to the end (which was unrelated to diabetes).

I'm typing this with my seven month old granddaughter sleeping peacefully on my chest. I got to thinking about my mom, and babies, and my tiny little Lilly, and the top of her little head got damp. For some reason my eyes are a bit leaky just now.

I hope that you have a baby, and that you adore him or her as much as I love my two little granddaughters.

Regards,

Doug

caswellhb

I am 47 and carrying twins. During the "sicky" weeks my numbers were a bit haywire but now that that has stopped My numbers have settled back nicely.

All the tests and scans show two healthy little spawn, very active and growing fast.

The only thing I have really been warned about is that D mums tend to have larger babies. In the case of twins this could actually be a bonus as they are often born early and small.

I would suggest you read up a bit. A lot of D woman have very healthy pregnancies and lovely healthy babies.

Heather.

morrisma

Heather,

47 with twins? When are they due and did you get one of each?

Teri,

My sister-in-law is 37 and just had a healthy baby boy. She had gestational diabetes and was remarkably strict with her food and such through her pregnancy. The whole process has risks with or without D, but the rewards are immense. :D

Mike

jacobsam622
I am 47 and carrying twins. During the "sicky" weeks my numbers were a bit haywire but now that that has stopped My numbers have settled back nicely.

All the tests and scans show two healthy little spawn, very active and growing fast.

The only thing I have really been warned about is that D mums tend to have larger babies. In the case of twins this could actually be a bonus as they are often born early and small.

I would suggest you read up a bit. A lot of D woman have very healthy pregnancies and lovely healthy babies.

Heather.

You go girl:D My wife had twins at 39 She had here appendix out at 34 weeks so she had a rough couple of years recovering from two surgeries. Only difference is she had the babies and I had the kidney stones and diabetes.

Tinki

Well, I know women over 40 are having healthy babies all the time and so are diabetic women. I think you will do fine. There's such great medical technology out there now.

I totally understand how you feel though. I'm 38, type 2 and ttc for the frist time. I'm sending you tons of baby dust!!!

stinastina

Today on that show called "The Doctors", the female ob/gyn said the new mother is in her 40s and as long as you are healthy, you should expect a healthy baby. That said, I am almost 44 and thinking about one more. But I have a long way to go before I can start trying.

Blueeyes409

Well Ia m 38 and Type 2 My husband and I were about to start TTC when I found out in Feb that I have type 2 We have finally got my numbers under control and we are talking about TTC soon.

KimberSue

after reading this thread I'm gonna bring up the idea of TTC with my DH. I'm 38 diabetic for 2 years and already have an 8yr old son and 5 yr old twin sons. I've been yearning for another and just was afraid of the high risks. Me being +35, having a set of multiples and diabetic. Worth calling our hospitals OBGYN for a consultation that I cancelled several months ago when we thought about trying for another. I think I can handle it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.