Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kim_in_TN

"Rebounding" ... Mini-Trampoline Exercising!

Kim_in_TN

Years ago when I was at my thinnest, I worked out almost obsessively on a mini-trampoline. Now that I am diabetic and trying to gradually get back into an exercise routine, I have been racking my brain to come up with "do-able" things. I have been walking at our local Greenway but we've had rain for about 5 days straight now. :eek: So, I knew I could no longer use that as an excuse to get out of exercising.

I happened to think of my mini-trampoline and asked my hubby to look in the attic to see if I still had it. Lo and behold, he found it! I just managed to complete 10 minutes on it non-stop ... kudos for me!:D That was even without any music! I know the time will fly by once I have something to jam to!!!

So .... for those wanting a good indoor workout ... invest in a mini-trampoline and get jumpin! ;)

Jan B

Video yourself and post for us! I need some laughs! Not at you specifically Kim, but it just sounds funny! We didn't get near as much rain as I was expecting . . . . only about a days worth. I only took one day off from walking Beau.

Seriously, you don't fall off that thing . . . you really could break an ankle or something.

notme

I think this is a great exercise in the winter. I would definitely do it.

During the summer we are good about exercise. Took the dogs walking and then stuck them in a baby trailer and went bike riding!

mzteacher

good luck kim!!

jan you are too funny!!

i remember having one of those....but i think mine went at a gargae sale years ago...although i just saw them again on a shopping chanel recently...

susan

Holly

I don't have room in my very small house for exercise equipment. I have been walking my vet's dog for exercise. She's a miniature poodle but walks at a good clip with frequent stops to "sniff poles". We do about a km a day but with the better weather will increase the length. I'm walking faster without getting so short of breath. I'm going to buy a skipping rope but will use it in the backyard or in the garage when I've moved the car out. An overweight sixty year old skipping should be a sight that the neighbours will be talking about!

Kim_in_TN
Video yourself and post for us! I need some laughs! Not at you specifically Kim, but it just sounds funny! We didn't get near as much rain as I was expecting . . . . only about a days worth. I only took one day off from walking Beau.

Seriously, you don't fall off that thing . . . you really could break an ankle or something.

I do worry about turning my ankle because I did that about 8 years ago and broke my foot in 2 places. Had surgery and months of casts, braces and crutches. The entire ordeal took about a year out of my life! That was the beginning of my rapid weight gain! I certainly can't afford to set myself back like that again!:eek: I am trying to just be very careful and wear good supportive athletic shoes. When I broke my foot, I had heeled sandals on and I rolled my foot sideways off a small step in the garage. All of my weight fell on the side of my foot ... OUCH!

So you just jump on it? This sounds like something I could do pretty easily. How sweaty do you get?

Yes, you can even start without raising your feet off of it at all! You still get a workout because of the resistance from the tight netting! Gradually you can build of to raising your feet a bit. I don't really jump in place with both feet, I sort of jog on it.

I don't have room in my very small house for exercise equipment. I have been walking my vet's dog for exercise. She's a miniature poodle but walks at a good clip with frequent stops to "sniff poles". We do about a km a day but with the better weather will increase the length. I'm walking faster without getting so short of breath. I'm going to buy a skipping rope but will use it in the backyard or in the garage when I've moved the car out. An overweight sixty year old skipping should be a sight that the neighbours will be talking about!

I'm pretty sure they sell fold-up ones now! Do a search online! You could slide it under your bed. I don't know if I could jump rope still or not! Gosh, it's been forever since I even tried that. I can see me getting my feet all tangled up and wiping out! Good luck! ;)

Lulika

Kim this sounds such fun, I am going to get one too! :D

About skipping, I recently bought a rope and had a go..it must be 40 years since I last tried it but its great! I do 10 mins and boy do your legs ache afterwards! :D

shake_sugaree

Welp, thanks to this thread -- I'm an owner!? :)

Watta blast! I can remember these things were a "craze" in the eighties, but I just sort of stopped seeing them after a few years...

...But unbeknownst to me I guess they have reprised to dernier cri... Who knew? :dontknow:

Anyway, my wife and I have decided not to go "airborne" :trytofly: for a while yet, keeping both feet planted as suggested above. Hopefully this will preclude our incurring stick-man syndrome. :stickyman

This should be a perfect compliment to running on the off-days! Thanks Kim_in_TN and all!

Alice

Kim, is your "greenway" in "O.R." by any chance?

I had one of those mini-tramps back in the 80's...and proudly used it as a coffee table (chinese?) in my apt....don't know how many calories it burned...if any.

Now I'm seeing these mushroom shaped balance thingy's that gym's are using...or was it an info-mercial? Those look dangerous to me! But, I'm skitterish after my stress fracture!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.