Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weejules83

hey

jerrysadiabetic

Hello Julie I was the child diagnosed around 10 years old. So I definitely remember what it was like and mainly I learned "cause and effect" of my actions. I'm a little low on time at the mioment but I'll say understanding the "cause and effects" of diabetes and your childs actions goes a long way. Jerry

RobiJo

Welcome to DF. There are a number of parents that I'm sure will share their wisdom.

How old is your child? How old at diagnosis?

I was diagnosed at age 2. Throughout my life the diagnosis was much tougher on my parents (well, really my dad) than it ever was on me. Kids are amazingly resilient. Teens can be tougher and less compliant.

Eri's mom

Hi :)

My daughter was dx'd when she was 6...8 yrs ago.

We went through that typical stage, where it was like, ok, am I doing this right, is she getting this, etc...

Now that she is in her teens, there are times when she is completely right on top of things and then just as quickly wants to completely forget about it...and lets me know just how badly I'm a pain b/c I am right there taking over when she gets that way. Teens. Gotta, uh, love 'em!

HollyB

Hi Julie,

My son's 16, diagnosed at 13. How about your child?

It's up and down, but tough. Never seems to just coast along with no probs for long. But overall he's doing really well, and is otherwise very healthy, so that helps a lot.

Jamison

I am 16 years old and I was just diagnosed less than 2 months ago. I find my parents very annoying when they ask me if I did this or took that or corrected this. I always do it, I haven't forgotten and my A1C test will probably be about 5.6%. Unless your child is very young, then they can pretty much handle it on their own.

sdpnz

my son was 17 months old when diagnosed... he is now almost 3. we used injections for like a month and half then went onto a pump... both regimes are hard work and time comsuming..especially on mum and dad... but there is good support and help out there.. when our son was dx we made a house rule...if he is not suppose to eat it then it`s not alowed in our home... we have really good controle for the most part. but its hard work and at times you need a break thats when your support system is a big help... i some times go off with one of my mates for a girls diabetes free weekend.

where do you live.. i see that you have belfast but what country?

weejules83

havent been on for a while but thanks for your feedback jacks 3 was diagnosed at 2 starting nursery here in sept he goes to a playgroup and copes really well havent had much trouble so far just with the tantrums over sweets :D generally he just eats whatevers put down in front of him unless hes ill and i find it hard to keep his sugars up my main concerns as a mother are for him maybe being picked on when he goes to school or how it will effect him later in life we live in Northern Ireland I also find childcare hard as th only other person who has no problem injecting him is my mother my mother in law is still afraid shes going to hurt him but am also training my best friend up here so hopefully myself and my husband will be getting a weekend away alone in july very excited but also a little nervous as this will be the longest weve left him with someone else since his diagnosis

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.