Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mosherman1

Lantus question

BlueSky
.... my sugar levels are always pretty decent in the day hours, but as soon as 7pm hits until about 12mid. my levels go crazy. I thought that maybe it was something I was eating for dinner, but it goes up even before I eat dinner. Whether I have eaten or not the levels always go up about 7pm., we just can't seem to figure this out. ...

Lantus has a pretty flat action profile. And it sounds like your basal insulin needs increase sharply in the early evening. Lantus can't cope with this, so maybe you should consider using another insulin. Some NPH injected at lunch time should do the trick. It peaks at 6-10 hours, and will give you the extra cover you need from 7pm to midnight.

mosherman1

Lantus seems to be working great. 26 is my stable # My FBG is around 130 and before meals are under 100. I must say it feels kind of strange, my sugar being normal. I have alot of energy and am back to my never sit down always busy self. Yeah!! My C-Peptide came back and it's .6 What does this mean? I would ask my doc but they charge for everything:mad: They also did a Ferritin (273) and a Lipase (472) Anyone know what this is for?

Thanks

Alice

I've just gone through an interesting week with Lantus. I lowered my dose, gradually and a few days at a time, from 25 units down to 21. My basal has really dropped for some reason but I'm not surprised since I've now learned that your Lantus needs will definitely go up and down...but this has been a big drop for me. My numbers are near perfect. They were good before, but I was feeling the "edge" of that basal power. So, I know when to lower.

I don't fall into a low so easily if I eat a low carb meal...or just fewer calories. Not that I was relying on basal to handle meals, but I do think after a while, your basal starts affecting how your meal doses are decided.

I try to "get back to the basics" every now and then to separate the two. Took me a long time to figure this out. But, this is my biggest drop in a while.

It also reaffirms my earlier intuition than my endo was raising my Lantus too quickly. My 25 units was a "compromise" on her "30" recommendation which I never could handle. I could handle 25 a while back, but not now.

Does anyone else take note of a big drop of basal like this? Only big difference is that I've lost about 4 lbs. which isn't much...but noticed on a short frame.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.