Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phonelady61

does anyone else have this problem ?

Phonelady61

I seem to only be able to control my sugar when I eat kid sized meals and not reg adult meals . I think that is a problem am I right or wrong ? I also think that the idiot dr had some problem at the time I saw him . i just think that this is a problem . thanks in advance and just wanted to know if anybody else has this problem too .

Handybear

I am a follower of Dr. Bernstein and one of his ideas is that there is better control thru small meals. An "adult" sized meal is usually oversized. I now eat all of my meals on a salad dish and I try not to go for seconds. This seems to give me the best control. Too much food is like overloading the washing machine.

JediSkipdogg

Remember, carbs raise BG values and all carbs do not act the same. Therefore the more carbs one eats, the more erratic their BG may be. Simple solution is less carbs. One has to weigh their love of carbs over their want to control the BG. I eat a ton of carbs in a day and for the most part can control my BG dead on. Of course, there's always that combination of carbs that just sends my BGs all over the place.

xMenace

Can I assume you are on insulin?

It depends on a few things, but generally any meal can be covered; though some are difficult.

Your basal rates play a big part in this. If there are any gaps, and for nearly all diabetics there are, they can make things tough. Tough to figure out too.

Insulin resistance is also a big factor. Many find that the more food they eat, the higher a bolus ratio they need. At some point it can actually become dangerous as the variability and chance of hypos increases with large doses. Our mornings are typical high resistance times. I told my doctor I can't eat much for breakfast and he agreed. However, once for dinner I had a whole 16" pizza and a large double fudge-pb brownie. I stayed in range!

Types of food matter too. Won't go ito that, but Chinese, pizza, white bread, potatoes, rice, and french fries all behave differently. If you don't know your ratios and don't know your foods, you'll probably not do well with large meals let alone small ones.

On a whole, smaller meals are easier to control. Once again I am moving to smaller portions to lose weight, and my control is noticeably better.

Phonelady61

thank you but I am already eating on a salad dish and very little food any less food and I would be dead . Lol !!! I guess I should get a carb chart and start following that . thanks .

princesslinda

I have found that if I start my meal with a small salad with vinaigarette dressing, I get full faster, with less food. I also eat lots of green veggies (green beans are my best friend!;) ) and meat...very filling.

I find that the more carbs I consume, the hungrier I get....I am much more full with bacon and eggs for breakfast than if I have cereal....much more full with grilled chicken and salad than with a sandwich for lunch.

davef
I seem to only be able to control my sugar when I eat kid sized meals and not reg adult meals . I think that is a problem am I right or wrong ? I also think that the idiot dr had some problem at the time I saw him . i just think that this is a problem . thanks in advance and just wanted to know if anybody else has this problem too .

Could it be not how much you are eating and instead what you are eating. As the other's have said, watch your carbs, they will certainly spike your BG.

I tend to avoid things like pasta, rice, white bread, potatoes and load up on meat and veg. I also find drinking a big glass of water before dinner helps give you a full feeling quicker. Stir frys are great for filling you up and generally inlcude foods that work well for BG. Testing is the best way to find out what is working for you.

Alice

Are you taking insulin with your meals? If you are unable to eat even reasonable amounts of carbs, you may need a change of oral meds or insulin...not sure what regime you are following.

We have come a long way from the days when diabetics were basically starved...in addition to their bodies being starved for energy.

I'm not pushing insulin...just suggesting a change of meds that will enable you to eat normally. Normal, being in the "healthy" choice mode.

Evermont

Portion size is something I've been working on. Portion sizes have been increasing for so long we don't know what 'normal' is anymore.

Smaller meals is actually a good thing. If you can eat smaller meals and spread them out (without increasing the total amount of food) then your blood sugar will be better.

It can take a while to get used to smaller meals but eventually they become 'normal' for you.

One tip: the hormone called grehlin which is secreted by the stomach increases hunger. You can trick your body a bit by eating a handful of raw almonds or raw walnuts (both very healthy foods) about 1/2 hour before a meal. This timing will cause your body to tell your brain that you're full sooner so that your smaller meal then becomes satisfying.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.