Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarah91

Ivf

Andreea

Dear Sarah,

I wish you the best of luck in getting pregnant with a healthy baby! I hope you have been keeping your sugars low but still enjoyed the festive dinners! I've read your posting with great interest. I'm in a similar situation: I have had Diabetes 1( for more than 3 years now), I'm hitting age 40 (I'm sure you are younger!) and haven't yet been able to get pregnant for the past 2 years. We are scheduled for an IVF consultation on Monday, Jan 5th. I would be very interested to hear about your experiences so far, the ups and downs etc, with as much detail as your time and mood allows it. Looking forward to hearing from you, Andreea

sarah91

Thanks for all your good wishes.

I'm halfway through the down regulating phase if the ivf treatment. I've been injecting the Suprecur since Boxing Day and things have been ok. Sugar levels are slightly higher than usual, suffering from a tummy upset but that is a side effect of the drug. Have had to postpone the planned scan due to the fact that I have not yet had a bleed so they would be unable to measure the womb lining. Going on Monday 12th jan for scan, hopefully something would have happened by then!

Andrea, all I can advise you is to be as calm and stress free as possible. On my first IVF I was incredibly stressed which i don't think helped my situation. Also this time I am taking the 2 weeks after embryo implantation off work. I'm a sales assistant in an electrical store so on a day to day basis can be lifting heavy items. Last time I worked through the 2 weeks and drove myself crazy as I stressed myself out.

Good Luck and I'll keep you posted

Sarah

xxx

cheric

Hey Sarah! Thank you so much for starting this thread! I myself am a Type 1, and I am unable to get pregnant the conventional way due to problems unrelated to my diabetes. If I want to have a child, which I do, then I would also have to go through IVF. It is really nice to hear other Type 1's discussing this, because it is something we have been concerned about....the undertainty of how my diabetes would effect IVF treatments. Good luck with everything, and please keep us posted!

Cheri

sarah91

Hi Cheric

I originally started this post because i felt like I was the only person in the world with type ! diabetes and fertility problems. Like you I'm glad there are other people in the same situation.

If we all share as much information about our conditions and treatments as we can, hopefully others in the future be more prepared.

Take care

Sarah

x

cheric

Sarah-

Seeing as you have already started your IVF treatments, I will have to learn from you for now :D Please Please keep us posted on everything that happens....especially after your dr. appt on Monday! I truly do wish you the best of luck!!!

sarah91

Im a bit stressed today. Am due to go hospital on Monday for a scan to check the thickness if my womb lining but being as I haven't had a bleed yet i don't think I will be going.

I'm going to phone the hospital first thing Monday morning and see what they say.

Also I have an appointmnet on Wednesday for the pump clinic as they also want to get me pumping so my blood sugars are the best they can be should I get pregnant.

Its a lot to take on but I have to do it to ensure I give my baby the best chance.

Love to all

xxx

cheric

So today is the day. Did you end up going to the doctor today? Going to the pump clinic should be interesting. At least you are taking every step necessary to ensure that once you are pregnant both you and your baby are in the best of health!

sarah91

Unfortunately I didn't go to hospital today as I still haven't had a bleed. I phoned them first thing and they didn't seem too bothered. I'm to phone as soon as it happens or Friday morning whichever is the soonest.

Not much to tell really, i just hope it happens and soon.

Sarah

sarah91

Good news.

I called into the Ivf clinic this morning to get some more syringes and needles and one of the nurses asked me if I would like her to conduct a scan just to see how my womb lining was. She did the scan, spoke to the head consultant and I start the next stage of injections on Monday.

I am soooo happy. i was getting very worried. Apparantly not everyone has a bleed, and the previous clinic where I had Ivf treatment put people on the contraceptive puill so they know where you are in the cycle but it is not necessary!

So as from Monday 19th I shall be injecting a drug called Gonal F which will stimulate my ovaries to produce eggs. I then go to the clinic on Friday 23rd to have a scan to see how the folicles (the sacs that contain eggs) are developing. These injections will continue for about 11 days depending on how the folicles develop.

I also had an appointment with the diabetic consultants and they are putting me on a pump in the next few weeks. It's all happening at once!

Will keep you updated.

Sarah

x

mazea

Hi Sarah. How exciting for you to start the Gonal medication. I'm also doing an IVF cycle. I am on my 4th day of taking Synarel and we have EPU in 4 weeks.

I'm feeling happy about it but a bit concerned with the EPU as I have to fast for this operation. My blood sugar rises 7 points in the morning even if I don't have food so I'm thinking about how to manage this.

sarah91

On my 1st ivf treatment because of my diabetes I was the 1st patient of the day. Think I was seen at about 8.30am. Didn't have breakfast or give insulin until after procedure. You will have to speak to your consultants about it and make them aware of the situation.

You getting any side effects from the Synarel? I got a funny tummy from the suprecur and am currently suffering from hot and cold flushes, very annoying!

Good Luck

mazea

Hi. I hope your cycle is going well. Sorry to here you are getting symptoms. I'm getting some moodiness from the synarel I think. but not having other symptoms yet.

I am trying to find out how to manage my morning phenomenon during EPU. I've been told I will be put first on the list too. I got up at 4.30 with a blood sugar level of 5.9. I fasted and didn't have breakfast and a glass of water. At 6.30, my blood sugar rose 6.4 and at 7 it was 7. I think it will go up to 14 without the novorapid in the morning. I had some novorapid at 6.30 of 1 1/2 units. I'm going to test again until I get to 10 ocklock. I don't think I can go without my novorapid on EPU day. I have a scan next week. I'm really looking forward to breakfast at 10.00!

sarah91

I had a funny experience on my 1st attempt. Went to the hospital in the morning and they gave me an injection which sent me to sleep whilst they were taking out my eggs. I woke up in the recovery room about half an hour after the procedure a lil bit worse for wear. I can't remember that much but my boyfriend said I was hilarious. I was on quite a high and started putting my clothes on without drawing the curtains so everyone saw my nakedness and when the nurses asked me how I was feeeling and said I felt fabulous. I had a cup of tea and they told me I could leave so I could have my insulin and something to eat. On the way home we stopped off in a McDonalds. I did my injection in the car and we went in. I felt a bit drowsy but it wasn't until I sat at the table and my boyfriend went to the counter that I started to fall asleep at the table. I ate my breakfast and we drove the 45 minute journey home. I slept all the way. The when we got home I went straight to bed and slept for another 6 hours.

I can laugh aboout it now but just to make you aware that the drugs they give you can be quite strong.

Sorry I can't give you any advice about your morning sugar levels, maybe speak to your docs to see if they'll let you give yourself a lil bit of insulin before the procedure.

Take care

sarah

Mick

I am a male T1, but in the early 1980's, my wife and I could not get pregnant either. We did try several (primitive) fertility treatments available at the time--IVF was not one of them, as it was not really on the radar back then. After two years, we gave up and adopted. My wife died 2 years ago, but left me with our daughter, now 26, from Korea, and our son, 18, from Vietnam. Good luck.

Michael

sarah91

Thanks Michael for your good wishes.

I am very aware that IVF treatment has a very low success rate but when you are as desperate to have a child as I am I am willing to do anything to achieve it. Of course if we are not successful after a couple more attempts then adoption would be considered.

A friend of mine adopted a brother and sister about 9 years ago and she and the children are the happiest most loving people you could ever meet.

I am sorry to hear of your loss but hopefully your children give you all the love you need.

Sarah

xx

sarah91

Hi

Just thought I'd let you know I've just given myself my Gonal F injection. This will hopefully stimulate my ovaries to produce folicles to produce eggs. I'll do this for about 11 days when hopefully the folicles will be large enough for the consultants to remove and fertilise with my boyfriends sperm. Then it's all in the hands of Mother Nature.

Grow folicles, grow!!

mazea

How is the gonal F going Sarah?

I'm starting the purgeon tonight. I'm not going good on the IVF meds. After having good blood sugars for 5 months, my blood sugar started to go crazy when I stopped taking the pill 2 days ago. In the middle of the day for 2 hours my blood sugar dropped 38 points in half an hour. It seems to be be doing that the last 2 days. Iv'e had readings of 15 and under 1.5. My basal need went up again this morning. I'm concerned and may have to cancel my cycle.

sarah91

Hi

Going ok on the Gonal F.

Having hot flushes which are not attractive but am putting up with them.

Blood sugars have got lower. Had 2 hypos yesterday which is very unusual. Normally have about 1 a week if that.

Sorry to hear your struggling but why may you have to cancel your cycle?

My friend who has recently had twins by IVF keeps telling me to focus on my goal and keep positive. It will all be worth it.

Good luck with the Puregon, be prepared for the flushes!!

Please let me know how your getting on.

Good Luck

Sarah

xx

mazea

Hi Sarah, Glad to here that your cycle is going well.

I thought I might have to cancel because my blood sugars are a bit out of control at the moment for the last 2 days. They are jumping all over the place with variations of my Levemir of 50% and drops of 35 points in 30 minutes. I nearly went to hospital the day before yesterday and yesterday for the blood sugar drops so it has been a bit of a rollercoaster.

I will hang in there. I'm hoping that these symptoms of going of the pill will stabilise today. If they stabilise then we will continue with the IVF cyle.

sarah91

hi

I think the fertility drugs do have quite an effect on blood sugar levels. Like I have said before my levels seem to be lower than usual. These drugs are playing havoc with our hormones. All I can suggest is that you test regularly. I'm probably testing about 8 times a day . The evenings are quite bad for me, my sugars drop very quickly after my evening meal so I amcurrently lowering my insulin intake every few days until I am happy.

Going for a scan tomorrow to see how my folicles are developing. Will let you know how I get on.

Sarah

mazea

It sounds like you are looking forward with your scan. I hope the scan goes well and you get lots of follies.

I'm finally on top of things. It was my novorapid that dropped 45% suddenly. My Levemir went back up to 100% last night. Dropping my novorapid down helped immediately so I think I'll be all right now. It was because I am a newbie I haven't had many drops in my novorapid or experiences that I didn't identify or was on top of the problem straight away. I was on 7 units Novorapid for dinner. I took 4 1/2 units last night so I sorted it out. It's so stressful doing IVF. But I think we are on our way.:o I started the purgeon last night.

sarah91

IVF is incredibly stressful.

I am more relaxed this time than I was on my first attempt!

I'm so glad you have got your control in hand. It would be such a shame to cancel your cycle when you have come so far .

Have you had any hot flushes?

I have also become very tired. My boyfriend laughs at me in the mornings as I am waking up tired! I have also been nodding off on the sofa at about 8pm which annoys the heck out of him as I do snore a little!!!

mazea

Hi Sarah. I hope your going well with you FSH. I have had a few symptoms with the syneral. I confuse the hot temperatures with hypos sometimes.

This lady had similar problems to with with blood sugars on the hormones for IVF as me. I'm glad that was figured out.

You have this terror, on the two week wait for the p test after transfer, not knowing if you are pregnant or not, if your BSL is high at all (for me high means 10 or more) that you may damage the baby if it is in there growing. It feels so incredibly crucial to be perfectly controlled but with the hormones I have been higher than normal and I feel a bit out of control. I so need to be in control, that is my nature.

The next cycle I had some bizarre highs (like 12.8 before breakfast??) and lows (1.8 2 hours after dinner) and we got a low positive pregnancy result but then a negative. Number 3 transfer was the best controlled I had been but still a low positive followed by a negative.

It's weird to go through this to just get pregnant in the first place- knowing it will be the same when i do get pregnant (and I will say when not if). I have my 4 injections a day for diabetes; but now add two nasal sprays, another injection per day (so total 5!), related supplement tablets and all the blood testing. Then the egg collection anaesthetic to contend with, post op bloating and pain etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.