Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarah91

Ivf

mazea

Weezer Congratulations! Wonderful news. You must be excited.

Sarah

Tiredness is a symptom of low iron levels. It can be a good idea to take a pregnancy mulitivitamin if you aren't already. Since I've been taking 1 capsule of blackmores a day, I haven't been tired. A doctor told me iron also is cancelled out with milk, so any iron in breakfast cereal isn't absorbed. Pregnancy magnifies the worry about what your blood sugar levels are doing.

I had a 10mmol last night for 5 hours after I ate something new. I was a bit cranky with myself because I forgot to test at 2 hours. and my blood sugars are never high like this. Mistakes -I have made a few here and there.

I wasn't enjoying my pregnancy the first few months either. I felt unhappy about being pregnant because I was grieving for going through 2 IVF cycles full steam ahead without really ever stopping to feel anything. Diabetes makes the IVF even more trying on you emotionally. IVF catches up with you when your pregnant! I felt better after I realised this and have enjoyed being pregnant ever since.

beka

Hi Sarah,

I haven't been on line for I while but our ivf cycle also worked and I'm 9 weeks pregnant today :0) I just wanted to say don't feel guilty about taking time off work. I have taken the entire first trimester off work just to give us the best chance possible and to ensure I have time to focus on my glucose levels....I honestly don't think I would have managed working as well as getting through the last few weeks. Especially with the night glucose checks, and trips to the loo!

Cheers,

Beka

sarah91

Congratulations Beka!

It's lovely that there are a few of us that are having success with IVF. I hope it encourages others to keep trying.

I got 2 weeks off from the doctors and he said he would happily give me the rest of the pregnancy off if I wanted. I think I'll go back to work though and see how I get on. If hings get on top of me again at least I know he is sympathetic and would give me more time off if I needed it. Financially I can't afford to take loads of time off and I used all my holidays when I had my IVF treatment!

Keep up the good work girlies and lets have some more positive IVF cycles.

xxx

Louisa

Hi all you pregnant ladies...Weezer wot fab news. I am happy that everyone seems to be falling pregnas but it does give me mixed emotions about things i.e should I try again as have had 2 failures already but deep down it is inspirering to know it CAN work so of course I will keep going. I get my pump fitted tomoz bit nervous but gonna give it a good shot. It feels weird thinking I won't be giving myself injections 5 times a day from here in but soooo nice. Fingers crossed that I get on with it & can get back to Poland by say September & try again. Think I'll give it 3 months to get my head around.

Sarah work will be waiting for you when you feel ready so don't feel bad, just enjoy a relax & lots of sleep maybe just what you need.

Speak soon girls & great news again Weezer,

LOL Louisa.x

weezer

thanks girls! YES sarah - i was shaking like a leaf!!! was sooooo flabbergasted and excited/overwhelmed/scared it was ridiculous! i've had a mad mad mad week - tested YET again last thurs with a nasty cheap test i had and it hardly showed! thought it was all over. i felt soooo down as i went about my day - then thought i'd better double check by buying some more tests i had originally used (sainsburys) and - the line was better! became addicted to weeing on sticks!!!!! line on sunday (official test day) was quite thick and bit darker, didn't test monday then had few cramps in night. again, thought was all over so tested AGAIN this morning - beautiful dark thick line! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!!!!! belong in the loony bin! was panicking because all symptoms had disappeared - but hey, i'm only 4 weeks gone!!!!!!

getting scan 1/6. tried to get my doc to do HGC beta but they wont! booked in to diabetes ante-natal clinic 4/6 - i'd be nearly 7 weeks by then, when did everyone else get booked in to see anyone? wish i had pushed to go on a pump - i am testin every 2 hours and getting so many hypo's. better than high i spose so don't care.

louisa - you're right, you must keep going! believe your time will come. you'll be the master of the pump - perfect blood sugar gives you the best chances of successful conception. they say a 'normal' (HA) functioning person only has 20-25% chance od conceiving every month - so most people don't get pregnant on their first or even second go at IVF.

love to all - stay healthy!!!

weezer xxx

sarah91

Hi Weezer

My first appointment with the diabetic team wasn't until I think I was about 11 weeks gone. I think because I was being closely monitored by the diabetic team beacause of my pump there was nothing else they could really do. The IVF team looked after me baby wise uintil I was 9 weeks, scanning etc.

Louisa, how are you getting on with your pump. I love mine and wish I'd had it fitted long ago! 3 months sounds like a good time for you to get used to the pump, get your sugars down and then concentrate on the IVF. I am struggling trying to do it all so you are doing it the right way round.

Good luck to you all

xxx

weezer

having a wee panic....any of you ladies had a one off high blood sugar early on? i am so worried. my blood sugar has been excellent - it's always between 3-6 - the odd 6 point something or the odd 7. last night 90 mins after tea it was 15!!!! i nearly fainted - popped some humalog in quick and within an hour it was 6.2. i am 5 weeks today, i know this week is crucial for organ/heart development and they go on and on about controlled blood sugars especially for early pregnancy - has anyone else had a one off like this and everything is still fine????

maybe i forgot to inject @ tea?

i think today i'll turn into a neurotic person and be testing half-hourly! i thought early preg saw a reduction in insulin requirements....or is this just a one off?

sorry for sounding so ridiculous, this pregnancy has been a long time in the making and i am so worried! my head tells me a one off will not jeopardise everything, has anyone been here?

weezer x

sarah91

Hi Weezer

I know it's a worry but an odd high is not going to do much damage as long as you treat it as soon as you can. What did you eat, anything different from normal?

You did the right thing so I wouldn't worry too much. When I found out I was pregnant I had just been put on the pump and my sugars levels were quite high (8 - 10) for about a week or so until I got the insulin levels correct.

Sarmar7

I know its difficult but try and chill! One high reading should make no difference at all and it sounds like you've been in great control otherwise. I know what your feeling tho! I was just the same. My little one is nearly 2 now, andI promise its all very worthwhile. Good luck.

Louisa

Hi everyone,

Well go the pump fitted last Tuesday with no big dramas. The only downside I can definately say I found so far is the size of the box it's big bulky & quite heavy. Bit of a mare when you havn't got big boobs to hide it. I am clipping it onto my bra as it doesn't do it for me on the wasteband of your jeans. Anyway my sugars have been quite good with readings on 3.5-5.3 & the odd high around 10.00 which I have corrected within 2 hours. I started on a 1 unit/hour to start & as an average I am working 1 unit to 10 gms of carbs. That bit is also a bit difficult to master & I can't wait to get my rosemary connolly scales. But so far so good but early days so alot of monitoring to do yet and tweaking the doses. I've gotta say mind not having to give injections anymore is a real treat & I'm still looking for my Lantus at 6p.m every evening, then realise it's no more yay! I am pretty confident that I should have this thing sussed within a few months & can't wait to get back to Poland to try again.

Weezer you are experiencing what every newly pregnant type 1 goes through I would have thought & you are gonna have the occasional high but regular testing & correcting will be fine I'm sure. It's amazing though that your defo pregas after your 1st go at IVF, sounds like you spent a fortune on tests LOL.

Sarah hows the sickness? Better I hope. Do you have any pointers for the pump? Will keep in touch & track your progress,

Take care all

Louisa.x

sarah91

Hello All

Just thought I'd let you know I had mt anomily scan this morning. I am 19 weeks and 1 day and everything is fine. The only concern they had was that I have a low lying placenta which could mean a c-section if it doesn't grow with the pregnancy but apart from that all is good.

I'm also back in work but feel much better after my 2 week break.

Hows everyone getting on, updates please!

Love to you all

Sarah

xx

weezer

hi everyone

wow sarah, glad your scan was fab! i had the same with my little boy 7 years ago, placenta praevia isn't it? as the weeks went on it moved slightly, bit by bit - it had only moved out of the danger zone in the last few weeks and i delivered him normally (well, HA, as normally as one can give birth!!!) after being induced 2 weeks early. wow, can't believe you're half way through - how's your bump looking?

i had my first scan on monday - was just over 6 weeks. saw the heartbeat! it's just the one - my other half was so relieved. i was just relieved that there was anything in there! the tears were rolling down my face. i had a diabetic ante-natal appt yest and met a fab obstetrician man who booked me in for a 12 week scan and said if i was goin out of my mind i could go back in 3 weeks for another scan! yippee, i'm sure i'll be taking him up on that offer!!

louise - i am jealous of your pump - wish i had one. i'm tryin not to stress about the odd high, i suppose i'm on it quickly because of testing so often.

thanks to everyone's positive & helpful comments.

stay healthy! weezer x

rhonda-b

CONGRATS Sarah! I just joined the forum and was scanning through topics and found this one, which is of interest to me. My husband and I aren't yet to the point of IVF, but it could go there so I'm definitely curious. I've never pregnant before and am 36 years old with Type 1, so I have lots to be concerned about (as we all do.) We just got married about a year ago and have been "trying" ever since, and after all sorts of tests, I'm on a drug therapy protocol right now trying to help us get pregnant.

I hope to keep up with your progress, and will look forward to the wonderful day when you tell us you have a healthy new baby!

Cheers,

Rhonda

sarah91

Hi Rhonda

Good luck with your treatment and your attempts at getting pregnant. As you will have seen from reading this thread it doesn't always happen straight away but the most imprtant thing is to keep healthy and your sugars as low as you can.

If you do go down the IVF route there are plenty of us on here who have been through this experience who will be more than happy to advise and support you, me included.

Good Luck and lets us know how you get on.

Sarah

xx

sarah91

Hi all

We've all been a bit quiet of late, how is everyone getting on?

I'm doing really well. HBA1C is down again to 6.7 which I'm really happy with. Sugar levels are steady.

I'm 23 weeks now and can feel baby moving all the time. I had a scan last Tuesday and he/she was sucking it's thumb, how cute!

I'm starting to relax a bit now and allowed myself to buy some baby wipes on Wednesday, doesn't sound much but its a big step for me.

Mazea, Louisa, Weezer how are you?

Sarah

xxx

weezer

hi girls

hows it goin for everyone? sarah - how's that placenta - has it moved at all? got plenty of time still!!! bet you're sporting quite a bump now? well done on the purchase! gotta stock up!

i'm 11 weeks now, looking forward to 12 week scan next thurs. i know there's something in there coz i got a doppler from e-bay - i know where my little shrimp is now, so i just aim in the right place and hear the little heart beating furiously anytime i want! so reassuring until i get me a bump!

louisa - how's the pump goin? sooo jealous. my hba1c was 5.7 - good, but i'm either low low low or spiking high.

i've been havin some major hypo's - 2 severe. my other half was on the verge of calling an ambulance this morning - when i came round a bit he told me he'd been trying to rouse me for the past hour - he said i was acting mental! i think i scared my little boy! i had no recall of the whole episode, i've got a glucose jab - but, NO, he decided it was best to spoon feed me honey! it's so scary - he said i was gesticulating madly and wringing my hands and staring wildly!!! and talking gibberish!!!! weiiiiiird. hope this settles down a bit in 2nd trimester.

back to the garden for me! not working today - thank god.

hope everyone's happy & healthy

weezer x

carolyn

My sister,though not diabetic, had her fertilised eggs back inside her yesterday, 2 of them. We are all hoping and praying for a good result. She is 39 and this is her last chance as the clinic said the remaining embreo cells are not good enough to transplant. Please pray for her and I will for you. Please let me know how you are getting on. Send on pm.

mazea

Carolyn

I am hoping that your sister will be ok : )

Glad that everything is going well Sarah and

Weezer. Our bub is 23 weeks. The last ultrasound has showed he(Yep he's a he)is in the middle of his age group for height and weight and everything was good. I have had some problems with hypos as my insulin dose has been halving and doubling every few weeks. I have been having some daily hypos just before lunch too but that has been fixed by taking a lower dose of Levemir in the morning and a higher dose of Levemir at night. Bub has been kicking a lot and somersaulting. : )

adrien33

Hello and congrats to the diabetics who had a successful IVF. I go back friday for implantation and was told last week before my retrieval that it is too risky to put more than one embryo back. Did anyone else hear this from their doc? I am on a insulin pump and believe I am doing well despite the fact that I was diagnosed a little over a year ago. My doc believes that its too risky with one, let alone two. Aren't my odds better with two? Thoughts???

Louisa

Hi all,

Lovely to hear your all doing well apart from your bad hypos weezer, that is scary! Luckily I havn't had any episodes since Ive been on the pump. It is going well although I still havn't got to grips with the carb counting yet. It's great that you can listen to heart beat that's amazing. As for your Dr telling you you shouldn't have more that 1 embryo transferred if any I don't know why they would say that. I have had 2 transferred the to times I have tried. I am going back to Poland in September for round 3 and will again have two transferred. I am trying assisted hatching this time though. Sarah that's what you had isn't it? Hope your sister conceives Caroline we will think of her this end & keep everything crossed. Keep us updated won't you.

Nice to hear your progressing well though & keep buying those baby wipes Sarah-well done!

Love to you all & speak soon by the way my sugards were perfect 5.3 this morning yayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Louisa

weezer

hi girls

how r we all doing? i'm nearly 16 weeks now, v impatient to get to my 20 wk scan. my low blood sugar's are mostly gone now apart from the odd extreme in the mornings where i can drop severely - it's quite scary but thank god my hubby has become an expert at sorting it out! got 2 glucagen kits just in case!

adrien33 - hows it all going? i know the docs have to be careful on our behalf but it sometimes feels v unfair doesn't it. perhaps they felt you had a real good chance of it working (god knows how they work it all out - they told me i had a very low chance and bingo! it worked first time which i did not expect!) - so didn't want to risk a twin pregnancy which makes a complicated pregnancy even more complicated!? personally as it's all so **** expensive and takes alot out of you i would always want 2 embryo's transferred. i had 2 and only 1 stayed, so who knows. good luck with everything tho...let us know how you're getting on

weezer x

mazea

I always had 1 put back in. If you choose a clinic with freezing called vitrication you almost have the same chance as with 2 if you do a freezing cycle later.

Shannonb

My sister went thru IVF and had a son in November 2007. She's a Type I diabetic, but was diagnosed later in life. She tried a couple of times and then tried a well known clinic in Maryland. This time it worked - she had no problems. Good luck!!!

sarah91

hey girls

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while, life has been very hectic and at 30 weeks now I am very tired a lot of the time, especially after a day at work.

Everything is going well. Sugars are a pain inthe butt with constant monitoring and adjusting but it will be worth it so I'm sticking at it!

My iron levels are a bit low at the moment which explains my tiredness but baby is doing good.

I hope all you other pregnant girls are doing well and for those still on the ivf path GOOD LUCK and KEEP TRYING!

love to you all

Sarah

xxx

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.